Final Fantasy VII Remake

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Wow it's almost like you went back in time and reposted a debunked reddit theory there

Missed that ending text, so that's good to know. Never figured out what Sephiroth could have meant other than ties to Aerith.

But still, Cloud has to die for Sephiroth to end (if the Advent Children theory is true). So guess Aerith can still die, go back to the lifestream, figure out the "cell" ties between Sephiroth and Cloud and tell him about it somehow.

I still think she will die.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Shadow only died if you didn’t wait for him for like 30 seconds on the floating island. Most of the major character deaths were 100% easily avoidable, like Mog and Cid.
That's why I said unlike. Shadow only "fake" dies, while Aerith was really dead (although it was a pretty common rumor back then before the advent of the internet that there was a secret way to resurect her and stuff, but in the end was just the usual "my uncle works at Nintendo" stuff).

Chris

Potato del Grande
The story is going to be pretty much the same with a few differences.

I fully except Aerith to die a bit later on after Gaia's Cliff instead of Temple of the Ancients.

Cybsled

If they still kill off Aerith, I do agree it will be in the final game they do for the remake. They're going to pull a "Glenn hid under the dumpster" up until that point to troll the audience.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I could see a Glenn maneuver happening with Aerith and that would actually be interesting if they did it.

Also wouldn't mind seeing Cloud die. Easily my least-favorite of the four main characters in the first game. It'd free up Aerith and Tifa to bang, since they had a lot more chemistry together than either of them did with Cloud.

Except Zack is also in the mix because the Whispers "brought him back to life for no reason lol" so I'm guessing that throws a wrench into everything. Maybe he'll replace Cloud for the last game.

...is it obvious how little I care at this point? I'll still play the sequels because regardless of any butchering that takes place, it's still amazing to see this world fully-realized in 3D. Would have liked to see more of Midgar's upper plate (aka the actual city) and less slums, though.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Zack is going to be a Sephrioth Clone and be revealed at the north crater whirlwind maze as proof of Cloud's delusion, probably right after we mortally wound him.

In the original it's just a photograph but they are in an illusion so...

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I could see a Glenn maneuver happening with Aerith and that would actually be interesting if they did it.

Also wouldn't mind seeing Cloud die. Easily my least-favorite of the four main characters in the first game. It'd free up Aerith and Tifa to bang, since they had a lot more chemistry together than either of them did with Cloud.

Except Zack is also in the mix because the Whispers "brought him back to life for no reason lol" so I'm guessing that throws a wrench into everything. Maybe he'll replace Cloud for the last game.

...is it obvious how little I care at this point? I'll still play the sequels because regardless of any butchering that takes place, it's still amazing to see this world fully-realized in 3D. Would have liked to see more of Midgar's upper plate (aka the actual city) and less slums, though.
Yeah I kind of wouldn’t care if they butcher it up either. I’m playing through it now. It’s cool seeing the world and monsters with good graphics, the music is nostalgic, etc. but there’s so much I don’t like about it overall I’m pretty meh.

I don’t like all the mini games throughout the main story. Timing your sticks against the lever tifa was pulling was so fucking annoying. I did the same thing over and over and eventually it unlocked. No idea what made my timing wrong multiple times, just one example of the minigame crap I could do without. It’s fine for side quests or a mini game for minigame sake I just don’t want it in the main story, it’s needless distraction.

The character banter is bland, like you said no one had chemistry. I don’t like all the hyper animated/strike a pose with each sentence girls talking, and all the grunting and sighing cloud does in response. It makes it seem like a bad anime, and I’m just not a bad anime fan.

I also hate how they make you fucking slow walk or squeeze through areas constantly. They probably could’ve shaved five hours off the playtime if they stopped that. I’m ok with slow walking if they need time to banter, but this game does it all the time without that going on. This will go through a cut scene, have you slow walk down an alley, then cut to a cutscene again. Why not just extend the fucking cutscene to show you walk down the alley? Wtf. And why are you squeezing through shit so much? Is that for loading purposes for the next area? It’s annoying.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So after you guys finished FF7 part 2, does it look like there will be a part 3 remake, or is the story done? Just wondering.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah a lot of the squeeze through places is for loading purposes, same reason all the sectors are linked by long paths of nothing. This is largely because the game was designed for PS4, with the slow ass HDDs. I expect the next one, since iirc they said it's PS5 only, to not have nearly as many of these shits because the PS5 can just load things super fast in comparison.

Minigames were fine imo, most are optional, for the lever one, only the first one is needed and it's relatively easy, the 2nd one is more annoying but it just opens the side area for additional rewards. The right timing flashes on the screens in front of Tifa, it's more or less tied to her audio so it can be annoying to get right but once you get the right timing it's pretty easy to do them all in a row(although the timing gets more precise as you go). They also make it easier as you fail, which is more apparent in the steam machine thing minigame, where the area you need to hit the arrow expands more and more as you fail, making it easier overall.

So after you guys finished FF7 part 2, does it look like there will be a part 3 remake, or is the story done? Just wondering.

There's definitely at least 3 parts. The first game massively extends a relatively short part of the original, so they haven't really done much of anything. They might shorten other parts, but there's no way they cram everything left into one game, even 2 honestly might be tough and they might make 4 games total or something. Obviously it depends on what they redo in the story, but 3 is imo what you should expect, similar to FF13.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don’t like all the mini games throughout the main story. Timing your sticks against the lever tifa was pulling was so fucking annoying. I did the same thing over and over and eventually it unlocked. No idea what made my timing wrong multiple times, just one example of the minigame crap I could do without.
We talking about the original or remake here?

You are going to love dolphin jumps and CPR!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
We talking about the original or remake here?

You are going to love dolphin jumps and CPR!
The remake. It has a lot more mini games in the main story than the original had. I’m sure there will be more I hate, it’s been pretty steady throughout the game.

Also the dancing scene was so stupid. I’m so glad my wife didn’t walk in while I was playing through that.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

The dance scene was hilarious because Cloud was so massively uncomfortable with the whole thing, but kept doing it because Aerith was into it lol

• 2Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Based on how much they added to Midgar, KOTR summon is going to be a full motion picture.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The dance scene was hilarious because Cloud was so massively uncomfortable with the whole thing, but kept doing it because Aerith was into it lol
Maybe I missed something. He seemed to just be like 'ok' and did it for no reason.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That scene also has implications into what Aerith's kinks are and what she would want Zack to do.

Cybsled

Maybe I missed something. He seemed to just be like 'ok' and did it for no reason.

When he first gets on the stage, he tries to power past the other dancers and walk off the stage because he is having none of that shit, then he sees Aerith all happy and encouraging, so he grimaces and then walks back onto the stage.

Although at least we got this actual laugh out loud scene later. Apparently only the English localization had this joke/delivery.

• 2Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
When he first gets on the stage, he tries to power past the other dancers and walk off the stage because he is having none of that shit, then he sees Aerith all happy and encouraging, so he grimaces and then walks back onto the stage.

Although at least we got this actual laugh out loud scene later. Apparently only the English localization had this joke/delivery.

There have been some funny moments that I wonder if they are just in our version or both. Like Jessie talking about coming back to her place so she can “pay you in full” with the quotes and everything. Or clouds hand job at the massage parlor, and how he’s stumbling around and can’t talk afterwards. A few other insinuation parts that were amusing.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
From my understanding however the ending means they're basically scrapping the whole rest of the story and remixing it however they want, which is a weird design decision after going through the first game like this. Feel like they could have done that from the start instead of pretending like there's a "reason" for it, it's just some weird ghosts. It also feels like it means Aerith won't die, which on one hand, I really like her as a character, but on the other hand it was a large part of what made FF7 memorable, one of the main character dying so early, and for real(unlike Shadow in FF6 for example).

Still as someone who doesn't care too much about the original I'm fine with changes as long as the story stays interesting.

In terms of gameplay, this is probably the best action FF they've done. It's however still not Tales, imo. Like Tifa plays well and is probably more fun than most Tales characters, but the rest is kinda meh. Part of it is the weird ATB restrictions, where you have to spend a bunch of time autoattacking to build ATB to use your proper stuff. Tales doesn't do that, you can attack but it's mostly meant to extend combos or regenerate TP(which is basically mp just it works on non magic stuff too) slowly when you're out. In return it means they can make casters fun by letting them combo spells, instead of casting one spell then attacking for a while before you can cast another spell and so on. The fact they also couldn't balance items at all so they removed them entirely from Hard Mode is weird, since in Normal I barely used any item at all(spending an ATB bar on an item is generally a waste of time, besides the first 15mins of the game).

Still it was pretty enjoyable to play, each character plays fairly uniquely and has a nice variation of skills and there's some interesting things you can do with materias and weapon skills, and again Tifa is just very fun, largely because she gets ATB so much faster you can actually use your skills unlike other characters, plus her skills are just really cool.

Difficulty was on the low side for the first playthrough imo, could use a higher difficulty inbetween NG+/Hard Mode and the current stuff. On hardmode though near the end of the game there were some pretty challenging fights, the VR stuff and the last boss were somewhat challenging for example and a bunch of bosses I just kinda finished with some people dead. Felt like Hard Mode was about right difficulty wise, sucks it was only for NG+.

It's weird to me how many people jump all the way to "they're scrapping everything from the OG story from here on out". Even at that end of this part 1, Rufus has still become President, you're still leaving Midgar to chase Sepiroth...really not much changed. I still think they're going to hit all the main points of interest from the OG along the way, with mostly the same story beats.

I do think that Aerith's potential death will be something they change the details around, and build up to a LOT...and I agree with many of the theories that they're going to make the player and characters think they can save her this time around, but in the end, you won't be able to. Or if not her, someone will have to die. Now what they end up doing with potential alternate timeline Zack, I haven't the faintest clue.

Fadaar

That guy
Wasn't it determined that everything where ghosts were involved is OG storyline? Like Barrett gets killed in Shinra Tower but the ghosts bring him back because the timeline wouldn't allow it. Once you get past the big shadow boss fights out on the highway, THAT is the new storyline. Basically everything from the Sephiroth fight onward. Which really isn't much in part 1 but everything else from here on out.