Final Fantasy VII Remake

Rude

Potato del Grande
I imagine it'll be significantly fleshed-out. Kalm to Corel is about the same amount of hours/areas as Midgar in the original game.

Nibelheim is what they should be aiming for to make the most impact from a storytelling perspective. Start with Kalm flashback about Nibel, end with actual Nibel.
And then you realize this was 4 hours in the original game...

But hey, maybe they can make Priscilla and Mr Dolphin a 2 hour dedicated chapter, sort of like running through sector 6 in the remake was. Or, when they redo the scene with the Midgar Zolom being impaled by Sephiroth they can actually show that area of the world being utterly annihilated and the party has to take an alternate path so they don't get sucked into a black hole and crushed. Should be interesting to see how Sephiroth is one upped from bringing you to the edge of time!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Makes total sense to expand every plot element as much as they did/would the Midgar part.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i just hope they actually make a better game, playing yuffie was way more quality of life than slogging thru w/ cloud

Aazrael

I'm in a game draught right now, no game to play really after Elden Ring. I tried Far Cry and Watchdogs Legion but they kinda sucked.

Saw this game is on a "sale" right now for like 60 euros instead of 85 so maybe I should pull the trigger before it ends in 4 days.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Let's start placing bets on how much ground Remake Pt 2 will cover.

1. Kalm to Junon Boat/Costa Del Sol?
2. Kalm to the end of the Corel scenario?
3. Kalm to Nibelheim?
4. Kalm to Temple of the Ancients?
5. Kalm to Forgotten City and the big death?

My bet is 2. That would be about as much ground to cover as Part 1. Also I really think we're gonna get Gold Saucer as a DLC after the fact, maybe along with a Vincent DLC before Nibelheim since they clearly want to mine Dirge of Cerberus a bit.

Basically everything up to the Dyne fight (with something new after that) is what I'm expecting. Heavy focus on Yuffie in the first half and Barret in the second half, with some chapters devoted to Zack doing stuff on his own. Part 3 will have Vincent and Cid and carry things forward to the end of Disc 1 with Zack on a collision course with the other heroes. I fully believe that the Forgotten City death will be either Cloud or Zack this time. Sephiroth knows the future and killing his previous victim ultimately led to his own demise. I also don't see the series having room for both Zack and Cloud going forward.

Basically, if we get Option 2 it'll meet my expectations, if we get Option 3 it'll surpass them. I don't think 4 or 5 have much of a chance. Option 1 is the heavily-rumored one but I think ending at Costa Del Sol would be way too little progress for people unless the next part is coming out the following year or something.
I'm going to go with 4. Anything less would be bullshit.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm in a game draught right now, no game to play really after Elden Ring. I tried Far Cry and Watchdogs Legion but they kinda sucked.

Saw this game is on a "sale" right now for like 60 euros instead of 85 so maybe I should pull the trigger before it ends in 4 days.
Same picked it up a while ago for like $15, now that I'm done with elden ring gonna give it a go.

Merrith

I'm going to go with 4. Anything less would be bullshit.

If it goes to Temple of the Ancients, 4 total parts sounds about right. But the part after that is in a weird spot...because Forgotten City and the event there is a very obvious stopping point.

Chris

Potato del Grande
If it goes to Temple of the Ancients, 4 total parts sounds about right. But the part after that is in a weird spot...because Forgotten City and the event there is a very obvious stopping point.
It actually isn't because losing a character that late into a game (you lose her as a playable character at Temple of the Ancients), is really annoying and messes with endgame design.

Temple of the Ancients is the natural Aerith stopping point. Then in the next game you just don't play as her at all.

Unless they move where she dies, which is possible to fake everyone out.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

That seems pretty expensive still, unless its the Intergrade version or something? I bought the basic PS4 version which converted to PS5 for free back in November/December for like $15.

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I imagine it'll be significantly fleshed-out. Kalm to Corel is about the same amount of hours/areas as Midgar in the original game.

Nibelheim is what they should be aiming for to make the most impact from a storytelling perspective. Start with Kalm flashback about Nibel, end with actual Nibel.
I could see kalm to cosmo canyon/cave of the gi.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nah....they cant make this 4 part game. There just no fucking way. They should and probably will finish the game with a 3rd installment. 4 parts would mean the game wouldnt be "done" until 2028 at the earliest. Like cmon. Part 3 should probably come out sometime in 2025, perhaps early 2026. Half of a decade is plenty of time to do it. A 4th would mean looking at almost 10 years lol. (already at 6 years if you count the entire development cycle)

Last edited:

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I think people are too fixated on the content of the original game. They could make as many or as few FF7R parts as they want to and still make them all good if they create enough meaningful content to flesh them out.

FFXIV is a good example of this. The whole ARR->heavensward->stormblood->shadowbringers->endwalker is really one story arc, and it could have been done in the original game or 1 xpac, but they added enough content to make it 5 'parts'.

People were (and no doubt some still are) disappointed that FF7R part 1 was only midgar, but in my view it was an excellent game with enough content. They added areas that weren't in the original, they fleshed out areas that were very brief in the original. They can do the same with the rest of the remake and it could end up being 10 parts, or they could complete the game with only 1 or 2 more parts if they wanted to.
I hope that they don't make it 10 parts only because I want to be able to finish the whole thing before I die, not because I'm worried about whether there will be enough content in each part.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I'm thinking 3 parts for Disc 1, 2 parts for Disc 2, and 1 part for Disc 3. Obviously Disc 3 doesn't have much to it. So that last part would be giving us access go the whole world from the other parts, as well as various new open world Weapon bosses.

Thing is, if it's going to 5 or 6 parts, can they resist just making it 7 parts for the luls? Disc 2 could be 3 parts if it goes off in new directions.

Hoping they shock all of us with a giant Part 2 but I know better.

Malakriss

Expanding Midgar as the only PS4 installment is not a good indicator for how long the other parts will be. Do gold saucer properly and players will waste hundreds of hours there, especially when mods come into play.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

That seems pretty expensive still, unless its the Intergrade version or something? I bought the basic PS4 version which converted to PS5 for free back in November/December for like $15.
Yea it's the intergrade version, feels a bit expensive for sure.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Man, I'm actually kind of excited for Thursday.

However, just realized that it's at 6 PM EST on Thursday the 16th. The day is probably most significant, but I think this might end up just being an FF16 event.

I'm waaaaay more interested in FF7R-2. And Live A Live, Dragon Quest 3, Dragon Quest 12...pretty much all of their other projects that aren't FF16.

Merrith

It actually isn't because losing a character that late into a game (you lose her as a playable character at Temple of the Ancients), is really annoying and messes with endgame design.

Temple of the Ancients is the natural Aerith stopping point. Then in the next game you just don't play as her at all.

Unless they move where she dies, which is possible to fake everyone out.

I meant more the idea that her death is a natural stopping point, or at least something that would come at the halfway part or later in a "Part". Stopping after Temple of the Ancients doesn't leave a lot of time before her death happens.

It would feel weird for it to be true "late game" when we lost her anyways compared to the original game, where you lose her semi early all things considered if you did any grinding/power item hunting later on.

Merrith

Man, I'm actually kind of excited for Thursday.

However, just realized that it's at 6 PM EST on Thursday the 16th. The day is probably most significant, but I think this might end up just being an FF16 event.

I'm waaaaay more interested in FF7R-2. And Live A Live, Dragon Quest 3, Dragon Quest 12...pretty much all of their other projects that aren't FF16.

Considering 16 already had its trailer reveal and that tweet is literally from the 7 Remake twitter...I'm doubting it's "just a FF16 event".