Final Fantasy VII Remake

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed it up until the end, probably because I wasn't someone who played FF7 42 times, just once or twice when I was younger. So half the stuff I couldn't even remember if it was in the original or not.

BUT I do agree some of the side stuff was super tedious but I guess its a side quest so I can just skip it instead of complaining about it.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I enjoyed it up until the end, probably because I wasn't someone who played FF7 42 times, just once or twice when I was younger. So half the stuff I couldn't even remember if it was in the original or not.

BUT I do agree some of the side stuff was super tedious but I guess its a side quest so I can just skip it instead of complaining about it.

The issue is that great video games made you want to do the side quests because that is often where the best lore was found; so you go into these games wanting to do the side quests and then, after they disappoint, you keep doing them expecting the next one to be the one that blows you away. And then you are done and they were all trash. This is what made me angry about Cyberpunk 2077, so many good starts to side quests that ended up being boring wastes of time.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, Witcher 3 is a game where you end up doing more side quests and end up forgetting about the main story quest for a few hours/days. They only really fucked up with Skellige but it was mostly skippable as well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
An hour in when the Saturday morning faggotry happened with Heidegger twirling his mustache, sabotaging the reactor and undermining the result of the bombing mission from the first game.

I forgot about that.

I talked about the lack of anyone dying being very "Disney's Doug!" where everything turns out great at the end via plot magic. Well the same could be said about the bombing mission at the beginning. Can't have the good guys looking morally ambiguous in any way! They didn't MEAN to blow up the reactor, they were just blowing up the computer! And it turns out Heidegger planted bombs to make the attack way worse so Shinra could blame them for the destruction!

This raises so many questions and none of them are good. Mostly I'm just annoyed that they couldn't let the good guys show any shades of grey whatsoever, and yes it totally undermines that part of the original game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Completely agree with the subtle changes they made to the "grey" part of the story. That said, I enjoyed the game from start to end (disappointed with no turn based, but got over it). I was very confused at the ending, making it obvious that it wasn't a "remake" in the word we're used to. Then a few spoiler casts later, the Advent Children angle made complete sense, including the short stories that tied the original FF7 to Advent Children. Once the mindset then changed to this (most likely) being FF7 2, Sephiroths remake, and not an actual remake of FF 7, I am now very curious as to where it goes.

And it's not like its a random addition of story either, but something that's been in the works for nearly two decades according to Square.

Or so they say, could be making it up as they go with Nomura crashing in at the last minute going "this game needs more... TIME SHIFTS!!" "But, sir, remake.... people are expecting us to" "TIME SHIFTS!!!!".

• 1Like

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Completely agree with the subtle changes they made to the "grey" part of the story. That said, I enjoyed the game from start to end (disappointed with no turn based, but got over it). I was very confused at the ending, making it obvious that it wasn't a "remake" in the word we're used to. Then a few spoiler casts later, the Advent Children angle made complete sense, including the short stories that tied the original FF7 to Advent Children. Once the mindset then changed to this (most likely) being FF7 2, Sephiroths remake, and not an actual remake of FF 7, I am now very curious as to where it goes.

And it's not like its a random addition of story either, but something that's been in the works for nearly two decades according to Square.

Or so they say, could be making it up as they go with Nomura crashing in at the last minute going "this game needs more... TIME SHIFTS!!" "But, sir, remake.... people are expecting us to" "TIME SHIFTS!!!!".

Given that they've noted in interviews even directly after the initial teaser trailer in 2015 that it wasn't going to be a 1 to 1 remake, I'm inclined to believe them that some of the ideas were planned from the get go. Not buying in the slightest that they had this exact scenario planned out for 20 years or whatever, though, if that was ever claimed.

On the changing of laying blame for the bombing, I didn't think it hurt it at all, as it made it all the more relevant seeing people around town and the news pushing the Shinra propaganda that Avalanche was the real cause of the problems, not to mention all the regular Shinra workers buying completely in. Also the fact it made Jessie question her bomb-making skills added a lot more to the character (didn't hurt she was the one they definitely delved deeper into going back to her house, etc), with her holding herself responsible for the extra damage/casualties. Them dealing with all that and Barrett's usual "push on through for the Planet" showed plenty of moral grey areas imo, just different.

• 1Slow
  • 1Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
Yes, as if US politics isn't a good indicator of how stupid people are in general and how propaganda appeals to the lowest common denominator.

Or, you know, the original intent of "saving the planet" lead to a lot of blood on your party's hands and didn't save anything. It assisted in completing Barrett's character from the one dimensional stereotype who was just out for revenge.

But yes, I can't wait for Reeve to tell Barrett that fat man bad and the avalanche crew, sub Jessie, can breathe a sigh of relief since they didn't hurt anyone and they really saved the planet.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I think Pantheon is gonna be out before we see this finished? Yeegh.

Great work by the modders tho.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Anyone played the FF7 NES de-make?

Uses the FF3 engine. I've heard good things about it.

Apparently there are two of them: One is a fairly low-quality Chinese bootleg game, the other is the modded FF3 made by a team that is actually high quality.

Might be worth a look for FF7 fanatics or NES fanatics, if FF7 in the FF3 engine sounds interesting. I'm kinda interested in de-makes these days for whatever reason. Really enjoyed Mega Man 7 and 8's NES de-makes and wish someone would de-make Mega Man X7 and X8 the same way.

• 1Galaxy Brain

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
IMG_4928.jpeg

• 1Faggotry

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Making them both look like troons ruins it

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Best RPG characters to have a three-way with?

I'd say Aerith + Tifa would be number one with a bullet.

Marle + Ayla from Chrono Trigger maybe a distant second.

Leena + Kid from Chrono Cross. Kid + anybody really.

The two chix from Skies of Arcadia?

Before anyone does the obligatory "MAN RAJAAH NEEDS TO GET LAID" this is a fun joke post.

If we're getting into non-RPGs, Xianghua + Seong Mina from Soul Calibur.

• 1Barf
  • 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Before anyone does the obligatory "MAN RAJAAH NEEDS TO GET LAID" this is a fun joke post.

Why would you shoot Tifa and Aerith?

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider

Man Rajaah needs to get laid, Jesus.

• 3Worf
  • 2Truth!
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Man Rajaah needs to get laid, Jesus.
Yeah this may require an foh intervention, meaning we pitch in and hire him the cheapest hooker from the nearest gas station to where he lives.

• 1Solidarity

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah this may require an foh intervention, meaning we pitch in and hire him the cheapest hooker from the nearest gas station to where he lives.

We can send her with some bug spray so she can help with the gnats. Two birds with one whore.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
We can send her with some bug spray so she can help with the gnats. Two birds with one whore.

I think that battle is almost won at least, their numbers have dwindled way way down. Not sure how the ones that are left are even surviving 'cause they've got nothing to eat or drink. Found a hole in the screen in one of the windows I had open for a couple weeks, pretty sure those terrorist sons of bitches flew in through that.