Final Fantasy VII Remake

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is the 3 minute mark not supposed to be clones in the Whirlwind Maze at the Northern Crater? Seems around the time Cloud gives up the black materia? Unleashing the Weapons would be a good ending point / build up into the final chapter.

It is, but they also showed that scene as part of a flash forward in Part 1 at one point I'm pretty sure...so no guarantee that's actual "you're there at that point in the game" versus just Cloud having another brain melt. Although towards the end when the one is saying "Re...un...ion", it does sound like Cloud's voice and sort of looks like him under the hood.

Also the one scene where they're running around the cave-like area (not the boss fight with Barret/Red XIII, that's obviously Mythril Cave), it's hard to tell if that's the Cave of Gi under Cosmo Canyon or potentially even City of the Ancients. I'm sure a lot of the dialogue is meant to be misleading as possible while still giving out hints, too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Is the 3 minute mark not supposed to be clones in the Whirlwind Maze at the Northern Crater? Seems around the time Cloud gives up the black materia? Unleashing the Weapons would be a good ending point / build up into the final chapter.
On a rewatch, does seem like the clones bit is Nothern Crater. That area was called "Whirlwind Maze" and it's windy there.

I got confused because they show Mithril Mines right after.

This is the correct end point, they should also move Aeris' death there to fake us out that we can save her.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The only part of the trailer that got me worried is when Sephiroth says he killed her, so who is she, in reference to Tifa. Sounds like more story fuckery.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The only part of the trailer that got me worried is when Sephiroth says he killed her, so who is she, in reference to Tifa. Sounds like more story fuckery.
Maybe he killed a girl ghost

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
In the original during the flashback didn’t he skewer her at the reactor? Maybe he’s talking about that. Been a long time so might be mixing things up

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
In the original during the flashback didn’t he skewer her at the reactor? Maybe he’s talking about that. Been a long time so might be mixing things up
He slices her in the original, but it's assumed she survived. Here, he's stating he flat out kills her. The original never insinuated anything was done to her by Shinra and/or sephirith/jenova for her to recover or be brought back to life similarly to Cloud

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Feeling really weird about this one. I need to replay the 1st one I guess. I remember being hyped as fuck about it coming out and then feeling like it was work. I never even dl the Tifa part (whatever it's called that came out for PS5). Maybe I'll give it another go after I finish my current FO3/NV re-run.

Malakriss

Tifa was skewered/slashed and left to die, but her martial arts teacher saw that Hojo and shinra were abducting the survivors as he rescued her from the reactor so he took her to Midgar.

Sephy's knowledge is that she should be dead or an experiment since he did not witness the post-reactor stuff.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
This just looks so awesome. I'm tempted to add this to my list of FF's that I'm playing in sequence. Just finished 4 and discussing it in the pixel remaster thread.

I've read that this isn't just a remake, but a sort of related replica story with all sorts of side-stuff. Do people recommend I do this instead of FF7, or before/after?

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Its the same story... sorta. Kind of a different universe/timeline kind of thing. All the main beats from the original are there so far, but they are clearly changing it up some. The original is a timeless classic and this one is every bit as good but in a different way. The combat is phenomenal once it clicks.

• 1Moron

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
This just looks so awesome. I'm tempted to add this to my list of FF's that I'm playing in sequence. Just finished 4 and discussing it in the pixel remaster thread.

I've read that this isn't just a remake, but a sort of related replica story with all sorts of side-stuff. Do people recommend I do this instead of FF7, or before/after?
After. The main beat is that there is some timeline fuckery going on.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Game show trailer was pretty sick, saw some of the Tifa/Seph reactor flashback, a Jenova fight, maybe some northern crater shit?

Edit - here it is. A lot more than I realized, I was watching on mute during a meeting lol.

1686347492204.png

I think Junon here might have been the latest thing storywise in the trailer?

Looks like the game is all just one big open world which could be really cool. Was wondering how they'd handle the overworld. The answer? Just make it a giant area, that's all the rage anyway thanks to games like ER and Zelda.

I don't understand the beginning showing the heroes being loaded onto helicopters. Some kind of Shinra news propaganda? I thought they blamed the plate collapse on Avalanche, now it's a tornado? Unless the tornado is referring to the whisper whirlwind at the end of 7R. It does say something about a highway. Everyone was fine after that though. Did they mock up body doubles of everyone for their propaganda footage? ........why? Like why even draw attention to this motley crew of characters?

Unsurprisingly the one thing that makes no real sense and bugs me is also the one thing that doesn't fit with the original story.

Still feel it's super likely we end up finishing Rebirth at Aerith scene or Northern Crater. They obviously wouldn't confirm/show everything in the first real trailer for it. We already got to see quite a bit in just this one...Red XIII and Yuffie confirmed playable in the party, up to Cosmo Canyon, etc.

One of the shots looked like it might have been from that forest leading to the Forgotten City (as seen in Advent Children). Hard to say though. It could have been somewhere else.

No Gold Saucer or Rocket Town that I saw. Still anyone's guess how far it goes.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yep and the temptation to end the game with Aerith dying (or living in this timeline) would be too great to resist. Def going to be a bigger game then the first one however, The Golden Saucer stuff alone is probably tons of hours of mini games.

I feel like Gold Saucer is probably gonna be the big DLC they add to it later, with just the main story part of it (chasing Cait Sith around etc) being in this version. Hopefully I'm wrong.

IMO the best part of the original FF7 was Disc 1, by far. I wasn't that into the rest. Losing Aerith + general depressing vibe + nothing in Disc 2 is as supremely memorable as Disc 1's numerous cool moments/areas.

So if this one goes up to the Forgotten City, then it basically has everything I liked from the original. The northern crater stuff at the beginning of Disc 2 was cool, like the whirlwind maze / Jenova-Death and the frigid outskirts, so Disc 2 had that going for it.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I don't understand the beginning showing the heroes being loaded onto helicopters. Some kind of Shinra news propaganda? I thought they blamed the plate collapse on Avalanche, now it's a tornado? Unless the tornado is referring to the whisper whirlwind at the end of 7R. It does say something about a highway. Everyone was fine after that though. Did they mock up body doubles of everyone for their propaganda footage? ........why? Like why even draw attention to this motley crew of characters?

Unsurprisingly the one thing that makes no real sense and bugs me is also the one thing that doesn't fit with the original story.
I was surprised at that opening too, not at the injuries, but that they went there right away so to speak, because I immediately assumed they were showing/confirming the "other timeline". Cloud isn't pictured with the injured, because he is outside with Zack carrying him back. Figured the tornado was Shinras spin on the fates whirling around, as we saw Zack see them too, so they tie the two timelines together. That segment ends with a flash of a black feather in front of what I think is the the toll booth where they entered the fate section.

No idea what happened in the city in Zacks timeline other than the fates. Bomb go off? Plates collapse? Cloud or Zack didn't help/cause any of that in that timeline, because they weren't there. But then.... Why is Aerith with Avalanche, without Clouds introduction? Why is Red, a Hojo experiment there, outside, with them.

Colin Farrell Reaction GIF

Chris

Potato del Grande
View attachment 477351
I think Junon here might have been the latest thing storywise in the trailer?

Looks like the game is all just one big open world which could be really cool. Was wondering how they'd handle the overworld. The answer? Just make it a giant area, that's all the rage anyway thanks to games like ER and Zelda.

One of the shots looked like it might have been from that forest leading to the Forgotten City (as seen in Advent Children). Hard to say though. It could have been somewhere else.

No Gold Saucer or Rocket Town that I saw. Still anyone's guess how far it goes.
The latest they show is Cosmo Canyon (Bugenhagen platetarium speech and maybe the dungeon), which guarentees the next area Nibelheim as it's in the flashback so the area will already be built.

The thing at the start I've been thinking about.

1) Tornado damaging Sector 0, 1 and 2 must be the Whispers boss fight at the end of the first game.

2) The bodies could be Shinra mockups to cover up... but seems a bit far fetched for them to make clones so quickly. Either it's an alternate timeline fuckery to fit in with Zack, or Sephrioth has used JENOVA to make fake clones, or they are real and we will play as the fake clones.

Tifa was skewered/slashed and left to die, but her martial arts teacher saw that Hojo and shinra were abducting the survivors as he rescued her from the reactor so he took her to Midgar.

Sephy's knowledge is that she should be dead or an experiment since he did not witness the post-reactor stuff.
I like this plot line, it's just exploring something from the original that they didn't do much with.

They also never really explained properly why Tifa doesn't call out Clouds fake story other than saying she was scared of losing him, though it's implied that she told Aeris in Junon. So I like that they have her tell someone (Aeris?) In the trailer and Sephrioth is placing an element of doubt about which one is real.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The bodies could be Shinra mockups to cover up... but seems a bit far fetched for them to make clones so quickly. Either it's an alternate timeline fuckery to fit in with Zack, or Sephrioth has used JENOVA to make fake clones, or they are real and we will play as the fake clones.

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

• 1Like

Malakriss

Because Shinra HQ got invaded, the president was killed, damage to the highway and god knows what else, so they blame it all on Avalanche who are no longer in the city and fake like Shinra dealt with the problem under the competent leadership of new President Rufus.

Chris

Potato del Grande
They want to get the same emotional reaction from players who played the original.

This is why they fucked around with Biggs/Wedge/Jessie deaths and made Jessie a much more prominent/sexually charged character to make us care about her.

In the original Cloud is revealed to be a fake JENOVA creation, then revealed to just have been experimented on. So they are going to do that with Tifa as well now. They'll imply she's a fake in this game, then in the next game we will get the Cloud/Tifa lifestream stuff and see how Tifa survived via Zangan and is actually real.

The alternate reality Zach and tornado body stuff will play into this as well. I bet it's just fake memories from Sephrioth to make everyone doubt themselves at Nothern Crater and none of it actually happened.

Merrith

Not really, Sephiroth literally spends the entire OG messing with Cloud's head, the idea he would try to make him doubt what actually happened with Tifa could just be another version of this. Given the theory that this is Sephiroth from after Advent Children, him having knowledge of how things went the first time would make him want to change his approach I would assume. Knowing that Tifa was the main reason Cloud was eventually able to get his shit together, she would seem logical target to try and discredit. Just another angle on the same old theme.

• 1Moron
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users