Final Fantasy VII Remake

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
rrr_img_100274.jpg

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
As soon as the FF7 remake trailer started at E3 I turned to my wife and said "Oh shit!"

She's never played it so she had no idea, but it looked like FF7 to me. It was so unreal, couldn't believe what I was seeing. When I finally saw the girl on the slide then the lower street.. cloud's sword. Shot out of my seat clapping. God yesterday I did look like a faggot.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty happy they're remaking FFVII. About 4 years ago I tried playing FFVII and couldn't get through more than a couple hours, the turn based combat and graphics were just too archaic for me.

I feel like in many respects, outdated graphics/combat systems are so much more palatable when you've played them before and you have that nostalgia to balance it out.

Caliane

I love the original. I realize before I get my hopes up for this it's going to end one of two ways. Lots of bitching and disappointment or high fives all around when they manage to remake a game so perfectly that sanitation crews around the world work day and night to clean the collective nerdgasm.

One of those is far more likely than the other.
This isn't their first HD remake, etc. if you think its any other option then the first. hahahahhaa.
I mean think about it. you are asking current Squaresoft to remake old Squaresoft. what has current Squaresoft been doing to instill any kind of confidence in them?

Solariss

Golden Squire
What's the consensus here on random battles? Do you guys feel it will be annoying if they go that route and we never know when we're encountering an enemy? Or would it be better if we were able to choose?

I was talking a friend and he said he might not have the patience for it, and I have another friend who has never played FF7, but is also excited for it. I'm just wondering how that would be received to newcomers if they keep the same format.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pokemon has random battles all the time, so I'm sure the younger generation that didn't get to try the koolaid when it first popped out aren't going to be that averse to it overall.

The guy who directed/wrote part of FFVII originally is producing the remake, and the primary artist is now the director. So at least it has that going for it. Plus, the Advent Children movie that came out definitely felt like Final Fantasy 7, so I think they will get that down pretty well. As to what they are going to do with the combat/game systems in general... I'd prefer it if they stuck closer to the original than reinventing the wheel, personally. At worst, FFXIII-2 combat, but please no kingdom hearts style stuff, thanks. FFXV has that covered already.

Didn't say HD anywhere in the presentation, and even going HD they would have to basically redo all the graphics in the game, so may as well just redo the entire thing vs. just upscaling it.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Things I would expect from the game

- Large world
--- Including several modes of travel, but not just skipping zones
- Chocobos (and all their details in terms of breeding, areas you can get to with them, etc).
- Materia system (perhaps even more intricate)
- Long ultimate weapon quest chains
- Turn based (get that active time battle shit the fuck out of my FF games (even though the combat system of FF XV isn't bad))
- Story to remain the same (while updating it with fixing some of the unfinished side quests)
- Ultimate weapons, lots of summons and hidden ones (exploring should be rewarded, and it should not be a story following a linear path).

Random battles or visible, I wouldn't mind if they mixed it. Though since FF 7 was of the open formula. Once you got out of the city, you could explore into places that got you horribly killed as you didn't know you were in a higher level area until a level 50 dark dragon attacked you. I landed on every single little island, and there were quite a few with different mob placements.

Basically I expect "more" of the remake, but certainly not less. Not one core mechanic, side quest, mini mission or area should be gone. I expect to be wowed by a new golden saucer area with lots of things to do, not wondering where it is. I'd easily be satisfied with a revamp graphically. It is the later FF games that need entire "remakes".

FF 7 had so many things going for it, that remaking it into a visually pleasing experience for todays graphic hungry audience will leave them wondering what the hell happened to the series after it.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Been awhile since I've touched the series, but wasn't Cloud a silent protagonist? What about in the movie?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I'd rather they did a full remake of FF3. That was much more impactful to me as a youth, especially when you thought you were at the end only to find out you have half the game to play in a corrupted world.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, the only silent protagonists I can think of in final fantasy anything are the warriors of light in the first game and the dudes in the 3rd. Every other main character always has its own storyline/personality.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I hope they flesh out the world in a massive scale. Places like Wutai, Cosmo Canyon, the Golden Saucer...

With latest gen graphics, shits going to be unreal. KotR will be gorgeous to watch but I hope they put in a fast forward button for those or option to skip entirely.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the only silent protagonists I can think of in final fantasy anything are the warriors of light in the first game and the dudes in the 3rd. Every other main character always has its own storyline/personality.
Squall had 0 lines of dialogue I believe.