Final Fantasy VII Remake

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I really loved the espers in ff6. Materia in ff7 was nice but it felt like a little step backwards compared to it. I would love a ff6 remake next

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The biggest complaint I have for ff vii is that the characters are completely interchangeable. The only difference between them ends up being their limit breaks, but they really aren't even that powerful by the end compared to summons/mime

I usually end up with Cid, Cloud, and Barrett since they all have multi hit limit breaks

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, the characters are interchangeable outside of their looks. I always used Vincent because there was some randomness to his limit breaks. Might be an aoe, might be single target.

It would be interesting if they added some crisis core stuff to flesh out who Zack was in terms of the story. Throw in some new Weapons at a lower tier as well as some new top tier ones so that there's more to them during the story, instead of things to do before killing seph. Add some new summons... There's no reason to go through the effort of redoing it and not adding more content. It'd be like when a country star remakes a pop song but doesnt change anything. It's bs

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
After a night of reflection, I've gone intensely negative on this. Can't wait to hear the fanbois implode when they hear clouds faggot animu voice for the first time or their remembered lovely turn based rpg is some stupid looking 3d shit where you run around and hit action buttons and cant lose if you mash x hard enough. I can't wait to hear people rage when the beautiful hand drawn backgrounds are replaced by some generic anime 3d art.

There's a reason FF has sucked lately, and I fully expect those reasons to infiltrate and destroy everything that made #7 the best.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's funny how people wax nostalgic about FF7 while choosing to ignore the fact that FF7 is where the series started the steep plunge in quality and started picking up all the various features and designs that eventually gave us FF13, a game where you spend 75% of your time moving in a straight line.

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
So this must mean full orchestra re-recording of the original midi soundtrack to go with it I hope.
Closest we've had so far is this -

Almost makes me want to learn to play piano.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Nah, I'd say X is the point where it started to take a nosedive. 9 is one of the better final fantasies period, and 7 definitely wasn't terrible at all. 2/3/5 were mediocre (and why they weren't released in the US for years after they were made) and while 4/6 are clearly the best in the series, in my opinion, 7 wasn't really the turning point. Definitely FFX, even if it had arguably one of the better combat systems in the games. Until then you had some very uniform FF features across the games, it was only at 10 and beyond that you started getting this silly streamlining deal that really separated it from the older FFs.

Edit: On character differences...

Really, until you get to the end of the game, the characters have very specific strengths and weaknesses. It's only when you are at the endgame that the differences go away. Barret/Cid/Cloud/Tifa have pretty shitty magic damage and healing ability for most of the game, while Red XIII/Vincent/Aeris(th)/Cait Sith excel at those. Yuffie and Tifa are very quick characters, while Cait Sith/Barret are very slow. If you were having Aeris melee, you were doing it wrong. Just like having Barret cast healing spells was generally doing it wrong.

Once you are at the end of the game though, you can max out everyone's stats and they all homogenize, with the only differences being appearance/limit break/long range.

Chris

Potato del Grande
FF10 is supposed to be linear, it adds A LOT of tension to the story making it one of the better storylines. It also has one of the best battle systems (equal to materia IMO).

FF13 is giving FF10 a bad name.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
10 and 10-2 were my favorites of the series. 13 was just weak. Great battle system but 3 games of really convoluted story and the extreme linear design.

At any rate it's about fucking time for a 7 remake.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Oh god, yet another Final Fantasy ranking thread.

So just to add fire: I have no interest in this game. FF7 was a good but not great RPG that was worse than its predecessor in a number of ways (music (aside from One Winged Angel) in first place). Square wasting their time and money remaking this fills me with sighs, though hopefully they can just reuse the Advent Children assets for most of the cut scenes (notice how there is no gameplay footage yet).

And if you were too dense to notice it was Final Fantasy Tunnel when you were playing 10 the first time, you shouldn't be evaluating their design. (The Battle System was pretty great though, and it is a bummer they didn't reuse it elsewhere.)

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It is hard to say "FF7 was worse than it's predecessor" when FF6 is one of the greatest games (let alone RPG) of all time. FF7 was a good game in it's own regard.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Am I the only one that liked 12?
No. 12 is the first one in the series that I beat since 7. Didn't like 8, 9, or 10, although I've gotten to the very end of 10 twice and just stopped caring enough to finish it. Gambits were janky as hell, but at least they were trying something new, even if the license board was just the same old 'all your characters are interchangeable' shit.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I wonder what they are going to modernize in this, as far as gameplay.

penalty_sl

shitlord
After a night of reflection, I've gone intensely negative on this. Can't wait to hear the fanbois implode when they hear clouds faggot animu voice for the first time or their remembered lovely turn based rpg is some stupid looking 3d shit where you run around and hit action buttons and cant lose if you mash x hard enough. I can't wait to hear people rage when the beautiful hand drawn backgrounds are replaced by some generic anime 3d art.

There's a reason FF has sucked lately, and I fully expect those reasons to infiltrate and destroy everything that made #7 the best.
Im right there with you. This is gonna be a nightmare and a total cash grab.