Final Fantasy VII Remake

Siliconemelons

In all honesty people need to stop buying the new shitty modern games all together so maybe game devs can stop trying to reinvent the wheel and always have to make "RPG's" into action games... make action games or make an RPG, just because you "level" or "choose a stat" every now and then does not make it an "RPG"

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
In all honesty people need to stop buying the new shitty modern games all together so maybe game devs can stop trying to reinvent the wheel and always have to make "RPG's" into action games... make action games or make an RPG, just because you "level" or "choose a stat" every now and then does not make it an "RPG"
Someone listed Faxanadu as their first RPG just yesterday.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was talking to xadion. I'm not sure what genre you're talking about.
I know, I was sort of replying to both of you.

Not sure how it isn't obvious what genre I'm referring to though, given the topic of the thread.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
So we're clear, FFII(fuck you sean) is not a role playing game because you have no choices to make as far as the characters you play, their progression, or the decisions they make, right?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I know, I was sort of replying to both of you.

Not sure how it isn't obvious what genre I'm referring to though, given the topic of the thread.
So wait... Final Fantasy 7, or the Final Fantasy series... Aren't RPGs? They should be called "J-Adventures"?

Why? What are the differences between RPGs and your 'j-adventures'?

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I didn't realize V was on Steam. And yeah, I was having a chuckle last night thinking of his rage quit.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just wanted to chime in and confirm that the Disgea style "tactics" rpgs from NIS are dogshit games, when compared to the likes of FFT or Tactics Ogre. They are strategy free grind fests designed to appeal to the special class of neckbeard who owns an anime loli pillow. Shitty game engine, shitty story (not always), and grinds a plenty are all the major hallmark of these lazy knockoffs. Ten years from now, people will still be playing steam ports of FFT and FF4, but no one will even remember these pedo pandering grindfests. And I say that having played a couple.

I think my love of Strategy RPGs (aka Tactical RPGs) is why I enjoyed Wasteland 2 so much this year. Square needs to make another game on the level of those two, focusing on mechanics and story instead of eye candy.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So wait... Final Fantasy 7, or the Final Fantasy series... Aren't RPGs? They should be called "J-Adventures"?

What I mean is that they have much more in common with western adventure games than with RPGs. You aren't playing a role, you're just piloting a character or party along a pre-determined path. The path may branch at times, but it almost always folds back into itself before the end. Character development is driven entirely by the person who wrote the plot, not by decisions made by the player. The only real difference is that instead of (occasionally in addition to) puzzles, there's a combat system with inventory and stats.

I'm not saying that as a criticism; I like adventure games just as much as I do RPGs. I just thought xadion's comment was weird, saying that new games are somehow "less RPG" than older ones just because they have action-y combat systems instead of turn-based, when they never really had much RPG in them to begin with.

Siliconemelons

Not my fault xadion doesn't know what role playing means!
Well it all kind of blurs and depends on what you are looking at - I will admit... and technically wouldn't ANY game be a Role Playing Game - as your taking the role on of whatever it is you are controlling, interacting with etc.

And I love Faxanadu.

But really mostly "RPG" means to many back into its origins with FF, DQ and Pen and Paper games such as D&D - so usually that means things that are stat based, character sheets - equipment - story driven interaction and not so much on the "action" side of control/game interaction methodology but a more "command" based system where your stats make up your "actions effectiveness" not your control of the character in an action battle situation etc.

While technology has certainly merged many of the typical old types of games into one, such as adventure, rpg, action etc.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well it all kind of blurs and depends on what you are looking at - I will admit... and technically wouldn't ANY game be a Role Playing Game - as your taking the role on of whatever it is you are controlling, interacting with etc.

And I love Faxanadu.

But really mostly "RPG" means to many back into its origins with FF, DQ and Pen and Paper games such as D&D - so usually that means things that are stat based, character sheets - equipment - story driven interaction and not so much on the "action" side of control/game interaction methodology but a more "command" based system where your stats make up your "actions effectiveness" not your control of the character in an action battle situation etc.

While technology has certainly merged many of the typical old types of games into one, such as adventure, rpg, action etc.
Faxanadu is/has all of those things except there aren't battle sequences, you just fight shit in real time and not in some arbitrary bubble where nothing else can interrupt you. It's an action RPG.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Yeah... no. Faxanadu is an action/platformer with some RPG elements (equipment upgrades and a bizarre level-up system).

The defining feature of a "j-adventure" is that the male lead doesn't plow the female lead at any point despite the fact that she wants his cock more then she wants to continue breathing. Also at some point you will need to defeat the ultimate evil with the power of friendship.

The defining feature of a (western-)RPG is get money and fuck bitches. At some point you will need to defeat the ultimate evil with the power of your foot up his ass.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/12/21/413208/

Not all that much extra info here besides one line:

So they will be editing some stuff to avoid internet outrage.
rrr_img_120432.jpg