Final Fantasy VII Remake

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Last I heard it was 2 installments. People might be mixing it up with the fact that technically there were 3 discs in the original but I never saw them link up installments based on the discs.

Yeah last I heard (maybe it was a rumor) Part 1 would go up to Aeris' death, then Part 2 would pick up right after that until the end.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Originally the game was supposed to be 4x CD's, that's why the end of the game's story line gets all convoluted and truncated toward the end. And like 80% of disc 3 was taken up by the ending FMV. I could see it being released in two parts, but really can't say where they would split things. It definitely better not just be Midgar in the first half... want to see how they're going to do world exploration at least.

Merrith

Maybe I was a bit older when I played VII than most, but while I understand the translation being a little muddled at times, I never had a problem understanding the story even back when I first played it. I often hear that as a criticism of the game and I imagine people playing it as their first FF at ages like 9 or 10.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
You have that wrong Genesis is not in Dirge of Cerberus except for the end credits scene where he is revealed to be alive and escapes with the antagonist of the game.

It's never confirmed but the antagonists look like the monster that escaped in the FF7 Nibelheim flashback. They are Soliders who had been infused with more mako than usual and hidden away for being too powerful.

Dirge of Cerberus is just killed by loading screens at the start. Like a minute of loading with 30 second scenes or gameplay inbetween for a few hours. In the middle of the game there's a long section with few loading screens and its pretty fun.

Yeah, Genesis was never killed. I always figured this was to set up an FF7-2 that they never actually got around to. Genesis is supposed to be at or almost-at the same power level as Sephiroth.

I've got a question for the board: Anyone ever figure out what the deal was with the unearthed fighter jet in the excavation site in FF7? That always intrigued me and I've never seen an explanation for it anywhere. It seems to indicate that the game takes place far in the future of a modern tech level civilization, which is a trope a number of 90's Square games have (Secret of Mana has current-world tech like subway trains buried underground, etc).

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah, Genesis was never killed. I always figured this was to set up an FF7-2 that they never actually got around to. Genesis is supposed to be at or almost-at the same power level as Sephiroth.

I've got a question for the board: Anyone ever figure out what the deal was with the unearthed fighter jet in the excavation site in FF7? That always intrigued me and I've never seen an explanation for it anywhere. It seems to indicate that the game takes place far in the future of a modern tech level civilization, which is a trope a number of 90's Square games have (Secret of Mana has current-world tech like subway trains buried underground, etc).
I thought a Jet just crashed there, I guess because the forest is trippy and teleports you around unless you have the Lunar Harp.

That being said all the aircraft in the game have propellers? The Highwind has jets in Disc 3 though.

The guy who made FFX-2 said that FF7 is in the far future of FFX lol.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

Ancient Civilizations is a recurring theme across most of the Final Fantasy games, placing the story after when magic takes over (or vice versa or whatever in FF6). Chrono Trigger, etc etc.

Cid had a derelict shuttle in his backyard.

RocketTown.jpg

giphy (2).gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Good lord that was sick. they could still fuck it up I'm sure but I'm totally sold now.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I was going to skip this but I think I'm changing my mind after that presentation

• 2Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Please don't fuck this up Sqeenix. Did they mention how it was getting split up? I missed the beginning.

• 2Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
The english voice acting isn't as bad as I thought. But im still switching it to japanese when I get it like a proper weeb.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I am still really annoyed at the splitting of the game, and would like if they had a turn based option. I’m ok with action as long as the camera is good and you don’t have to warp. Frustration with that shit made me dislike and quit playing XV midway through the game. Dying when you couldn’t see yourself armed against walls in a basement was terrible.

• 2Like

Rude

Potato del Grande
Not too impressed that ALL of the footage revolves around Midgar. That accounted for what, 10% of the game or so? And where was the magic? Are they going to make the combat system as shitty as FF15's?

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I want to see past Midgar. I honestly get tired of it after a couple hours and am ready for the overworld and other more interesting areas. I haven’t done a plathrough in probably ten years though so maybe I’ll love it idk. It’s just making me nervous that it will end there...I don’t really remember but weren’t you out in the overworld after four or five hours?

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I am still really annoyed at the splitting of the game, and would like if they had a turn based option. I’m ok with action as long as the camera is good and you don’t have to warp. Frustration with that shit made me dislike and quit playing XV midway through the game. Dying when you couldn’t see yourself armed against walls in a basement was terrible.

I actually never experienced that issue on my playthrough and a half of FF15. I only warped when I was lazy for AP farming too. Otherwise i didn't need to on most fights.

I feel like from the trailer at least that they learned from FF15 and toned down that combat style a bit and made it an odd mix of turn-based and real time. But overall I really like how it looks. Pretty good reimagining with the assets/scaling done nicely.

• 1Salty

Rude

Potato del Grande
Yeah I want to see past Midgar. I honestly get tired of it after a couple hours and am ready for the overworld and other more interesting areas. I haven’t done a plathrough in probably ten years though so maybe I’ll love it idk. It’s just making me nervous that it will end there...I don’t really remember but weren’t you out in the overworld after four or five hours?
Two reactors, Sector 6 and then the first Shinra HQ raid. Maybe 10% of the game, if that's all they're providing an "episode" these releases better cost $20-30 a pop and no more. Even that would be outrageous tbh.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Dislike

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Wow you haters. As someone who’s played and beaten ff7 more than 20 times over the years and even done single sitting no saves play throughs I am hyped. You haters missed the point of the greatest opportunity of all, that we can only hope for, is to relive the story and get a whole new level of story as it was intended and maybe even learn things that’s we never got first time around. I applaud them for taking however long it takes to do it because this is no small undertaking in resources and I am confident they are putting great care into it

• 3Like
  • 2Dislike
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 7 users