Final Fantasy VII Remake

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So when i first played this game I was like just turned 13 and had only the only RPG i ever played was Mario RPG but i loved that. Understand, that was like a 15-20 hour game at most and every other game i had played was much shorter.

I'll never forget getting to the Shinra Tower level and thinking 'oh boy this is the end of the game, Well 10 hours is pretty long and i enjoyed it". Now I do recall looking at the extra CD's and wondering what they were for at this point. But after seeing the FMV where you leave Midgar, suddenly the open world appears on the screen and realizing 'holy shit, that was like only the prologue!" Is maybe my favorite moment in gaming.

I never had much problem understanding it as a 13-14 year old for what it's worth. Story made sense to me.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Siliconemelons

The story drags at the end of end of midgar - shinra HQ - the gameplay slows down and you are met with a ton and ton of story micro nuggets that either are too much or not enough - it sounds contradictory but- to me the entire HQ is rushed in aspect A, not enough in aspect B and off base in putting in a Z and a Y thing...

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Wow you haters. As someone who’s played and beaten ff7 more than 20 times over the years and even done single sitting no saves play throughs I am hyped. You haters missed the point of the greatest opportunity of all, that we can only hope for, is to relive the story and get a whole new level of story as it was intended and maybe even learn things that’s we never got first time around. I applaud them for taking however long it takes to do it because this is no small undertaking in resources and I am confident they are putting great care into it

I’m not a hater just skeptical they can do the old game modern justice. They’ve shit the bed on a lot of games since VII. They were the very first gaming company/series that every single game was a day one buy and binge until I finish it, and play through multiple multiple times. And now there are entire sequels I’ve never beat or even played or watched videos of because the games, characters, and endings have become terrible and forgettable.

I mean here’s hoping, but I’m staying skeptical.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I’m not a hater just skeptical they can do the old game modern justice. They’ve shit the bed on a lot of games since VII. They were the very first gaming company/series that every single game was a day one buy and binge until I finish it, and play through multiple multiple times. And now there are entire sequels I’ve never beat or even played or watched videos of because the games, characters, and endings have become terrible and forgettable.

I mean here’s hoping, but I’m staying skeptical.

I totally understand this, but I like the fact they're talking about expanding on the story and/or Midgar hopefully. Granted, I don't think anything before or since topped VII, but I still though IX/X/XII were all solid games. It's only VIII and XIII and its sequels I had real problems with (although I haven't played XV).

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I totally understand this, but I like the fact they're talking about expanding on the story and/or Midgar hopefully. Granted, I don't think anything before or since topped VII, but I still though IX/X/XII were all solid games. It's only VIII and XIII and its sequels I had real problems with (although I haven't played XV).

Look I get where everyone is coming from. I’m probably as big of a final fantasy fan as anyone else here. I also can’t hate on someone named rude with a fft avatar. Respect dude. FFT was my favorite game in the series hands down.

FF4, 6,7,8,9,10 and even 12 were all magical moments in the series if you ask me overall. 13 I actually enjoyed and 15 as well just not on the same level as what we had. Maybe we are trying to recapture an age and frame of reference when we first played, an age without internet and with conspiracy theories. It’s hard to recreate. Will there be any surprises? I don’t know. Will it be perfect? Probably not. To be honest though it was the imperfections of ff7 that I enjoyed the most and I am looking forward to a fresh look at this entry in the series no matter how it ends up.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
"Expanding the story" just means they're going to get completely lost in side tangents and nonsensical retcons, to the point that the game will literally never be finished.

Cukernaut

<Gold Donor>
"Expanding the story" just means they're going to get completely lost in side tangents and nonsensical retcons, to the point that the game will literally never be finished.

I’m pretty confident they will finish the game. I don’t think that’s an entirely valid point. They value this franchise to the point they would drive the company into the ground to make it happen. I don’t think they took this decision lightly.

And I have money that says you guys all buy it lol. To be fair I guess this skepticism just says how much we all love the series. I sincerely hope it meets everyone’s expectations.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
FFX is fantastic game.

The combat is fantastic and basically unmatched by any jrpg since. It's an amazingly good looking game for an early ps2 game and almost surely the best looking console game when it released.

They made a serious mistake in departing from the "traditional formula" since. You would think the fact that X is far more popular then any release after it would be a sign.

I wish they would make it have a traditional Turn based game and basically try to make the remake into a modern take of FF7-10 formula but i think it's more likely the game will be more like FF15/KH3

Merrith

I’m pretty confident they will finish the game. I don’t think that’s an entirely valid point. They value this franchise to the point they would drive the company into the ground to make it happen. I don’t think they took this decision lightly.

And I have money that says you guys all buy it lol. To be fair I guess this skepticism just says how much we all love the series. I sincerely hope it meets everyone’s expectations.

Trust me I get the skepticism. From the moment it was announced in 2015 I was excited but worried, because I agree VII had those quirks and charms that I wasn't sure they could "update" so to speak. But the potential for them to delve more into Midgar and that world was equally exciting so we'll have to see.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rude

Potato del Grande
Merrith Merrith - Do yourself a favor and skip 15. While I can't speak for the DLC the base game was garbage and you had to watch a fucking movie in order to understand what's going on in it. The deus ex machina near the end with the "selfie" guy is pretty much a perfect representation of how poorly done that game was.

Look I get where everyone is coming from. I’m probably as big of a final fantasy fan as anyone else here. I also can’t hate on someone named rude with a fft avatar. Respect dude. FFT was my favorite game in the series hands down.

FF4, 6,7,8,9,10 and even 12 were all magical moments in the series if you ask me overall. 13 I actually enjoyed and 15 as well just not on the same level as what we had. Maybe we are trying to recapture an age and frame of reference when we first played, an age without internet and with conspiracy theories. It’s hard to recreate. Will there be any surprises? I don’t know. Will it be perfect? Probably not. To be honest though it was the imperfections of ff7 that I enjoyed the most and I am looking forward to a fresh look at this entry in the series no matter how it ends up.
I know where you're coming from and I'm not trying to tear down something that isn't out. But I'm not optimistic. Nomura has a boner for Kingdom Hearts, which he butchered with this last installment; and he's still got A BIGGER BONER for the FFXIII Versus World he never got to see to completion. I already figured comic mischief and political correctness from the original was going to be tempered in this game (THANKS POLITICAL CLIMATE) - very obvious representation being Heidegger referring to AVALANCE as sewer rats to President Shinra. They were flat out acknowledged as eco terrorists 10 minutes into the game. Barrett had tourettes and was way less pragmatic than what's been represented, and then you had some funny gems like Tifa calling the party retards when they're stair climbing. That stuff's going to be gone - and it'll be replaced by a vision of a man trying to exert what he wanted in a game more than the source material he's supposed to be recreating magic from.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I'm hyped. This is the best way to do a new combat system whilst retaining the soul of the old system.

The only worry I have is how tactical the RPG elements (Materia, equipment etc) will be. I want that to be important (more than it was in VII honestly).

It looks fun to play as all 4 characters shown. Whilst the first boss seemed to take a while, I'm ok with bosses being more difficult, because one of my biggest issues with VII is how easy it gets.

Merrith

Merrith Merrith - Do yourself a favor and skip 15. While I can't speak for the DLC the base game was garbage and you had to watch a fucking movie in order to understand what's going on in it. The deus ex machina near the end with the "selfie" guy is pretty much a perfect representation of how poorly done that game was.

I know where you're coming from and I'm not trying to tear down something that isn't out. But I'm not optimistic. Nomura has a boner for Kingdom Hearts, which he butchered with this last installment; and he's still got A BIGGER BONER for the FFXIII Versus World he never got to see to completion. I already figured comic mischief and political correctness from the original was going to be tempered in this game (THANKS POLITICAL CLIMATE) - very obvious representation being Heidegger referring to AVALANCE as sewer rats to President Shinra. They were flat out acknowledged as eco terrorists 10 minutes into the game. Barrett had tourettes and was way less pragmatic than what's been represented, and then you had some funny gems like Tifa calling the party retards when they're stair climbing. That stuff's going to be gone - and it'll be replaced by a vision of a man trying to exert what he wanted in a game more than the source material he's supposed to be recreating magic from.

I've heard the DLC's help make the game a lot better, I was thinking I might need to play it if the Remake's combat mirrored it a lot. 9 months, so plenty of time if I need to do it. I get your fears on VII, although some of it delves into the "SJW fear" that I find a little overdone. They could be called eco terrorists in another scene that we just didn't get to see, not that it bothers me that much one way or the other.

They are saying the first part is 2 blu-ray discs for just Midgar, which is crazytown. That much Midgar is nuts, but I thought they were trying to do the first part through Aeris' death. We'll see. I still have hope it'll be a faithful take on the old game with expanded good stuff. They won't get it all right or perfect, but if they get enough, and add new good stuff, it'll be worth it for me.

Cukernaut

<Gold Donor>
I'm hyped. This is the best way to do a new combat system whilst retaining the soul of the old system.

The only worry I have is how tactical the RPG elements (Materia, equipment etc) will be. I want that to be important (more than it was in VII honestly).

It looks fun to play as all 4 characters shown. Whilst the first boss seemed to take a while, I'm ok with bosses being more difficult, because one of my biggest issues with VII is how easy it gets.

Materia usage and magic is actually my largest concern as well. Totally agree.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
6 was great, but it was the last 2D sprite game. Story was intense, involved, twists, flips, grows, very solid combat, all around great game.

7 did the same, but added 3D graphics. With the added layer of Materia. Every character was fleshed out as much as you wanted to get into their background. Lots of subtle details and polish we don't see on games these days. The last that they produced that had the emotional impact from the music alone. Killing off the healer wasn't unique or original here, but it did have the most emotional impact (though I'm still similarly pissed from when my lvl 40 healer in FF4 quit the group).

8 had the card game, and normalized enemies, for better or worse. I beat it the first time at fucking level 26. It's 100x harder to finish at level 99. Some characters were interesting, mostly annoying, but the story with Squal and Renoa was amazing.

10 was their last masterpiece of storytelling. You still had annoying characters, but they weren't obnoxious. And you had badasses like Auron.

12 added player AI combat, and after you developed that far enough you literally stopped playing the game. Weak story.

13... God. Couldn't be more annoyed. The story, characters, all of it, just a bunch of whiny, mopey bitches. "Moms are tough" in the first 20 minutes, fucking gag. Hope was a shit character. Yeah, they all get more badass at the end, but fucking hell do you have to go through some dumb shit to get there. And then the story wasn't even finished. Also, action combat is fucking terrible to load on top of jrpg turn based leveling mechanics. Quit Korea-fying my jrpg experience.

10-2 was probably the last time I gave a shit about FF combat mechanics before it became real time, action oriented. In spite of being an early adopter of equal rights, sjw, woman empowering shit show, it was the last true turn based system that was very involved and still interesting. Shame everything else about that game was a waste of effort.

13-2 and 13-3 were more 13, just shittier.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cukernaut

<Gold Donor>
6 was great, but it was the last 2D sprite game. Story was intense, involved, twists, flips, grows, very solid combat, all around great game.

7 did the same, but added 3D graphics. With the added layer of Materia. Every character was fleshed out as much as you wanted to get into their background. Lots of subtle details and polish we don't see on games these days. The last that they produced that had the emotional impact from the music alone. Killing off the healer wasn't unique or original here, but it did have the most emotional impact (though I'm still similarly pissed from when my lvl 40 healer in FF4 quit the group).

8 had the card game, and normalized enemies, for better or worse. I beat it the first time at fucking level 26. It's 100x harder to finish at level 99. Some characters were interesting, mostly annoying, but the story with Squal and Renoa was amazing.

10 was their last masterpiece of storytelling. You still had annoying characters, but they weren't obnoxious. And you had badasses like Auron.

12 added player AI combat, and after you developed that far enough you literally stopped playing the game. Weak story.

13... God. Couldn't be more annoyed. The story, characters, all of it, just a bunch of whiny, mopey bitches. "Moms are tough" in the first 20 minutes, fucking gag. Hope was a shit character. Yeah, they all get more badass at the end, but fucking hell do you have to go through some dumb shit to get there. And then the story wasn't even finished. Also, action combat is fucking terrible to load on top of jrpg turn based leveling mechanics. Quit Korea-fying my jrpg experience.

10-2 was probably the last time I gave a shit about FF combat mechanics before it became real time, action oriented. In spite of being an early adopter of equal rights, sjw, woman empowering shit show, it was the last true turn based system that was very involved and still interesting. Shame everything else about that game was a waste of effort.

13-2 and 13-3 were more 13, just shittier.

My rub with gaming industry for a long time is too much focus on graphics and not enough on real content. And yes those are two completely different things. Also I believe that older jrpgs left something to the imagination with text, which I always appreciated.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Gameplay looked a lot better then I was expecting. I was a bit meh on this remake last year but I think I'm onboard now.