Final Fantasy VII Remake

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
My rub with gaming industry for a long time is too much focus on graphics and not enough on real content. And yes those are two completely different things. Also I believe that older jrpgs left something to the imagination with text, which I always appreciated.
I've grown to hate the term "content" after what has been defined by Blizzard. Content means bullshit. Legion was better than most expansions because it wasn't just content. All levels of the world felt active, filled. Every house had flowers, chairs, tables, picture frames, a story. Content is just shit I can do. Content is meaningless without context. Why did I care about taking down? She infiltrated the alliance, subdued humans, and corrupted shit. Nefarian? He was breeding dragons that were fucking with shit. Also murder. Every character you killed had a background. A story. Quests leading up to it.

They actually did this very, very well in Mists. Entire areas had quest lines tied to the raid story. Unfortunately they were isolated to the expansion. When a major story character crosses an expansion post Lich King, they're relegated to "content" status, not story. Emerald Nightmare. A huge fucking story from the Warcraft history, relegated to a starter raid with no real history, background, story, other than the green dragon's and some major lore characters that you're just slapping until they wake up....

Content, imo, can suffer, if there's story, and meat behind everything else. Unfortunately they've trimmed all the fat, so all we have now to hope for is "content" on a schedule that ignores this 30 year old story. Shits on it, in fact.

/off topic

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've never played a FF game other than ARR, so I don't have any fond memories of FF7. This looks really good, better than I thought, especially the combat which lets you slow things down or go with the flow.

Chris

Potato del Grande
16 min video

They actually made the ATB system updated and make sense in a modern game, I like it. Combat looks great.

Not sure about making the bosses so overblown and complicated. Can they maintain that level of complexity for every boss encounter?

Story changes worry me, is Sephrioth needed during Midgar? Even stuff like drones attacking the train on the Sector 5 mission, in the original it's a non combat challenge to evade the security sensors and get past all the NPCs to run up the train.

They showed scenes from the end of the Midgar section so looks like they are making some progress.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They actually made the ATB system updated and make sense in a modern game, I like it. Combat looks great.

Not sure about making the bosses so overblown and complicated. Can they maintain that level of complexity for every boss encounter?

Story changes worry me, is Sephrioth needed during Midgar? Even stuff like drones attacking the train on the Sector 5 mission, in the original it's a non combat challenge to evade the security sensors and get past all the NPCs to run up the train.

They showed scenes from the end of the Midgar section so looks like they are making some progress.

I agree with you on the concern of boss complexity, although I could easily see that first boss interacting far more with the environment in there than other bosses (just to show it off a little) will even if the fights still retain some complexity.

On more Sephiroth early, it can work if it's very focused on the Cloud/Sephiroth stuff. One of FF7's strengths for me was always the heavy protagonist/antagonist interaction between Cloud and Sephiroth as the game goes on. Especially with the eventual reveals in the story. One thing that may suffer is that Sephiroth's indirect introduction in the original game is pretty fantastic if slightly mysterious. The blood trails all throughout the area where you're locked up and into the experiment area with Red XIII...leading up to finding President Shinra impaled by the sword up at his desk. It definitely set the tone that Seph was a monster and badass not to be fucked with.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
I agree with you on the concern of boss complexity, although I could easily see that first boss interacting far more with the environment in there than other bosses (just to show it off a little) will even if the fights still retain some complexity.

On more Sephiroth early, it can work if it's very focused on the Cloud/Sephiroth stuff. One of FF7's strengths for me was always the heavy protagonist/antagonist interaction between Cloud and Sephiroth as the game goes on. Especially with the eventual reveals in the story. One thing that may suffer is that Sephiroth's indirect introduction in the original game is pretty fantastic if slightly mysterious. The blood trails all throughout the area where you're locked up and into the experiment area with Red XIII...leading up to finding President Shinra impaled by the sword up at his desk. It definitely set the tone that Seph was a monster and badass not to be fucked with.
I guess it would work as if new players think Sephrioth is just a figment of Cloud's imagination but then at the end of the first part, you see that he has killed President Shinra so they think "oh shit he's real?"

It also ties into Reunion. The theme of the second part of the game is if Cloud is chasing Sephrioth because of his own free will or if he is just being compelled to follow JENOVA like a puppet. So that concept is now applied to the first part of the game too, is Cloud attacking the Shinra Building to rescue Aeris or because that's where JENOVA is?

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, the very clever way they implemented ATB has earned that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
FF7 is one of the greatest games of all time.

I will never forget being the first kid at my junior high school to get the golden chocobo. It took FOREVER but I got it done. My buddy didnt sleep for 2 days after trying to get it.

Someone mentioned it but the one thing they need to nail is materia and magic scaling. After getting omnislash the game turns into a joke.

Not only that but once you get Knights of the Round summon the game really becomes trivial. Bizzaro Sephiroth was more difficult than the final version of him, and even that encounter was over after a single omnislash and KOTRT summon.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
16 min video

That combat looks great. Good compromise between real time and tactical mode, and (obviously it’s a demo so idk for sure) it didn’t look like the camera went wonky at all.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I remember being the only one in my social circle with a PS while everyone else had the N64. We all loved rpg's but all PS had at the time was Beyond the Beyond which was trash. I caught so much shit for that until EGM (I miss that mag) did a huge spread on FF7 covering all the characters, concept art screenshots and plot points. I remember showing that to my friends during lunch at school one day and their minds were blown. They immediately jumped to the PS. So much validation, felt great.

All in all, I can't get past this episodic BS. If it is anything over a two parter, I might just wait till it is all finished. Anything less and I would seriously question the overall quality. Especially if part one is all Midgard.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Perfect combat system especially since people weren’t keen on the full on action combat that has been becoming the trend. I hope this delivers story wise and that we aren’t waiting 2 years in between releases.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>

Can we all at least agree that Jessie has officially entered the ring as a contender? 😘

84FD8A28-0F93-4CBD-A6BA-B3CB5E537D25.jpeg

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 8 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So I caught some of the combat footage finally. The combat settings they mentioned did have an option that will let you control each characters atb choices right? I think I heard that correctly.

If I did that much better then the hack n slash look from before.

I know I'm the minority in this, but I still loved the super turn based stuff. FFT chess like combat being my favorite.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
After trying different ways since X-2, I feel like they finally nailed the balance between the real time orientated gameplay modern gamers want and the old school turn/command based play that the old school fans love. I really hope this is the framework for all final fantasies moving forward, like ATB was for 6 (7?) installments.

With that said, ResetEra is saying that this game is to be in two parts. Ok fine, I can see that. However, they are also saying the first part is exclusively in Midgard, which in the original game was basically the intro/tutorial area and was really only like 10% of the overall content. And for me personally, was by and far the least enjoyable part in both aesthetics and flow. But I'm really not sure where they got that based on that 16 minute video. If it's a decent chunk of the original game for a first part, I'm all in as I absolutely love that battle system. If it's just Midgard, I will most likely pass.

Chris

Potato del Grande
So I caught some of the combat footage finally. The combat settings they mentioned did have an option that will let you control each characters atb choices right? I think I heard that correctly.

If I did that much better then the hack n slash look from before.

I know I'm the minority in this, but I still loved the super turn based stuff. FFT chess like combat being my favorite.
Yes. You can give commands to party members you are not directly controlling, it's just their auto attack that's AI. It looks like you can store up two ATBs too so timing is more forgiving.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I wasn't as excited as I should have been for this before they showed the new footage. It raised my level of excitement to what should have been the normal level for this game.

Actually excited and looking forward to it. I still don't like that it's broken in parts, especially not knowing how long it will take between parts...with the pace SQEX works sometimes, it might be years before we get the next part.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Two reactors, Sector 6 and then the first Shinra HQ raid. Maybe 10% of the game, if that's all they're providing an "episode" these releases better cost $20-30 a pop and no more. Even that would be outrageous tbh.

hahahahahaha you think they're gonna charge $20-$30?
hahahaha enjoy your 4+ episode series at $80 full retail game prices over 4+ years

I mean im gonna buy it too, its stupid as hell but whatever

• 2Worf
  • 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
not too impressed with how long that boss fight took. what's emerald weapon gonna be like? 3 hours?

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
not too impressed with how long that boss fight took. what's emerald weapon gonna be like? 3 hours?

I don't know about 3 hours, but i'd be on board for an epic hour long battle. Didn't these fucks have like a week long raid in ffXI? Pretty sure I read about kids getting sick from exhaustion and malnutrition trying to take down that encounter.