Final Fantasy VII Remake

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
I really do kinda hope the world map is scaled up so ots almost the the size of an open world area.

I'm also curious how much stuff from the original cutting room floor they want to add in.

Every game has things removed due to time constants for release. And I'm sure ff7 had alot. I mean he'll xenogears had a whole 2nd disc that was cut lol. Instead they did that story book part with fei in a rocking chair telling you the story.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I doubt it. There will probably be comparable "set pieces" in the scale of Midgar, just transplanted to another locale, with a central base hub perhaps, providing a central base for a network of quests and opportunities that spawn off of it in different directions, but not a fully open world map.

• 1Barf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn't assume there will even be an open world unless they've specifically said there will be one.

They fucking better have one. I can’t believe the “fans” that are working on the game would consider that. Everyone loves the overworld. Everyone.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Not having it would ditch a lot of the more interesting aspects of the original. Seeing the gigantic weapons on the map, utilizing the sub and airship, and of course not having it would make chocobos and breeding pointless.

I'm not saying they won't have it, but they haven't cared about the world map for a long time now, and their focus on very tightly designed fights and locations wouldn't fit too well with random encounters (will they even have random encounters?) on it.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think they'll have a world map, it's not really hard to make one or anything, they can even stylize it in old school graphics or whatever so they don't have to design a realistic looking one.

And not sure what the comment about them not caring about it for a long while means. FFXIII, which was heavily criticized for its corridor gaming, still had one. It was limited in scope and only appeared a fair bit into the game, sure, but it was there, and it was there again in Lightning Returns with a much bigger emphasis this time(I don't know about XIII-2 so can't talk about that one). And FFXV was an open world game(in the more recent sense of the term), it was literally just the world map in that, until the endgame parts. Literally the theme of the game was driving around the world map and discovering shit to do.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

And FFXV was an open world game(in the more recent sense of the term), it was literally just the world map in that,... Literally the theme of the game was driving around the world map and discovering bros to do.

Fixed that for you for accuracy

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Not having it would ditch a lot of the more interesting aspects of the original. Seeing the gigantic weapons on the map, utilizing the sub and airship, and of course not having it would make chocobos and breeding pointless.

I'm not saying they won't have it, but they haven't cared about the world map for a long time now, and their focus on very tightly designed fights and locations wouldn't fit too well with random encounters (will they even have random encounters?) on it.

Since when? 1-10 had it,12 and13 pseudo had it, 15 very much had it and was designed around it.

I don’t know about the side stories or the sequels but every single main numbered game has had it that I can think of, 12 and 13 being the mapped corridored exceptions.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Since when? 1-10 had it,12 and13 pseudo had it, 15 very much had it and was designed around it.

I don’t know about the side stories or the sequels but every single main numbered game has had it that I can think of, 12 and 13 being the mapped corridored exceptions.

I'm talking about a explorable world map separate from the main gameplay, not open world elements. 9 was the last game that had it.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
12 isn't really a mapped corridor.... Very open world for a game that came out on PS2

Yeah they both were really but it’s not the traditional one giant open area, they were small zones. I felt like 12 was open world but wanted to head off the “zone” argument before it was used as a rebuttal.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm talking about a explorable world map separate from the main gameplay, not open world elements. 9 was the last game that had it.

I guess I can see what you’re saying. As long as it has the world map and we can run around in it I’m good with it. Whether it’s 1-9 style or 12/15 style. It makes the game feel like you’re in a big world. If they just do city hubs I will be annoyed and post bitchy words about it on the internet.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I guess I can see what you’re saying. As long as it has the world map and we can run around in it I’m good with it. Whether it’s 1-9 style or 12/15 style. It makes the game feel like you’re in a big world. If they just do city hubs I will be annoyed and post bitchy words about it on the internet.

The thing is that if they want to be faithful to the original game, it would have to be a sizable map which simply wouldn't be feasible with connected open areas like 12 and 15 had.

It's either the OG style world maps, incredibly limited connected zones scaled to represent large sections of the original game, or just the main feature areas with instant travel inbetween.

Assuming that the 2nd part of the remake will be on the next generation of consoles, it will hopefully give them enough memory to work with to have the full map.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The thing is that if they want to be faithful to the original game, it would have to be a sizable map which simply wouldn't be feasible with connected open areas like 12 and 15 had.

It's either the OG style world maps, incredibly limited connected zones scaled to represent large sections of the original game, or just the main feature areas with instant travel inbetween.

Assuming that the 2nd part of the remake will be on the next generation of consoles, it will hopefully give them enough memory to work with to have the full map.
I think one of those will be how Midgard is presented to keep the game more in line with the original. Would be nice if they had a big open world city like in Spiderman, but I'm not sure they really need something like that.

Siliconemelons

I think the main thing they will need to...or well... most likely are to change is the ability to wonder around and explore midgar, as it really is not an open area as it was in FF7 - it had sections and zones you moved from one to the other.

and obviously they are adding "more" with the entire strange ghost demon things that only Arieth can see - and then Cloud can see when she touches him.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
A little nostalgia play through.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I forgot, could you play without Cloud? I don't remember what my party setup was back in the days, I was still pretty young so I probably had Cloud and I'm sure I had Tifa, not sure for 3rd. Over the years I just do the girls band parties everytime I can, but can't get full girls in this so I guess it'll be 1dog & 2pussies, assuming I don't have to play Cloud.

I found the box for the game earlier today when I was cleaning up my old games stuff, moved recently so had all that crap sitting there to be organized, only the 3rd cd was in it though. Went into the trash bag with a bunch of other old shit and most Playstation games, all them CDs are dead and unreadable by now anyway, they weren't in a great state even back then I just had all that shit in piles instead of putting them back into boxes.

Need to try to sell all my SNES games now.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The world map thing is an interesting decision, it would be nice to have something like the old school one. Although I haven't played XV myself, I've seen it played driving around and shit. Imagine seeing one of the Weapons in THAT style open world walking around or like the scene where Diamond Weapon emerges from the sea to march toward Midgar. That would look unreal if done well in that type of setting.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users