Final Fantasy VII Remake

Juvarisx

Florida
PS2 backwards comparability with FF9 was good because you could make the disc speed higher to use 24x speed instead of 2x and smooth texture mapping for ps1 games. I cant imagine it would have been worse on a ps3

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I think that you are either a FF8 person or a FF9 person and hate the other game, with everyone other than trolls liking FF6 and FF7. FF10 is the best all round game, or will be until FF7 ups it's graphical game.

FF12 is half finished. FF13 is shit.
Possibly. I hated FF8 the first time I played it. I went back about 5 years ago and played through it again and it was a bit better but still not great. I really didn't like the story or the characters (Quistis is kinda hot but that's about it). I also feel that they perfected the Materia system in FF VII and the Junction system was annoyingly convoluted just for the sake of being different. Then there was the magic system (draw mechanic) and enemies that leveled with you. Just a lot about the game I didn't like. Again, I think they realized that VII was lightning in a bottle so they made a ton of design changes so people wouldn't say "Oh, VII did this better."

I liked 9. It was a solid entry into the series but extremely underrated. The Necron piece tacked on the end never really bothered me. It was more of a "huh? OK, whatever let's just kill it" feeling for me and I didn't allow it to ruin the game. The characters were all very well done with a major theme behind each one. It was also the last "traditional" fantasy in a series called Final FANTASY.

I've only played 12 once. Never got around to a replay. I like the description that it was a single player MMO because that's how I remember it. I also remember running my guys up to an enemy and then going AFK to make a sandwich and coming back to collect loot... Terrible design in my opinion but if it was remade I wouldn't mind giving it another go to see how I feel about it today.

13 had a great battle system but was really flawed. I also think it was asking WAY too much to have Lightning carry XIII-3. She's simply not likable enough and with her terrible personality she can't carry a game on her own.

Loved 10 though. Probably my favorite in the series. This one seems to be one of the more polarizing ones. People either really like it or really hate it. Some of the voice acting was terrible (the laugh scene...) but the story and characters were fantastic. The battle system was solid. I don't mind a traditional Attack, Item, Magic, Run system. Not every game needs to be twitch gaming or button mashing to victory.

WageSlave

Golden Knight of the Realm
FF13-3 is the only major FF title I have not liked. Despite the name I'm still not sure it should even qualify as a FF title. Played the demo and discovered it was some crappy wannabe ARPG instead of the JRPG I expected. Uninstalled the demo and never looked back. It is the first major FF title I have not bought.

FF15 will be the second major FF title I will skip. Wasn't interested when it was called Ff13 Versus. Not interested now. It's just not a FF game to me. It sickens me that Squenix is slapping the FF name on these games hoping to cash in on nostalgia. Bravely Default, despite only being 25% of a game, is the best thing they have put out in years...

But I have to admit I totally flipped over the FF7 remake trailer. If done right (BIG IF given their current track record) I will pre-order it along with a PS4 and take that week off work. I haven't been this excited over a video game announcement in a while now. Turns out that despite my horrible attitude towards Squenix these days I am still a fan boy. Go figure...

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I've only played 12 once. Never got around to a replay. I like the description that it was a single player MMO because that's how I remember it. I also remember running my guys up to an enemy and then going AFK to make a sandwich and coming back to collect loot... Terrible design in my opinion...
I see this argument a lot but you didn't have to use any of the automation at all. It's like you played the game on beginner difficulty and then got mad that it wasn't harder.

Szlia

PS2 backwards comparability with FF9 was good because you could make the disc speed higher to use 24x speed instead of 2x and smooth texture mapping for ps1 games. I cant imagine it would have been worse on a ps3
PS1 emulation on PS3 is absolutely atrocious when it comes to visuals. I am not sure if it's because of the way they emulate the graphic processor or if it's a CRT vs LCD problem or both, but anything polygonal craps the bed and the aliasing is insane. I recently played through Chrono Cross and did it on a PS2 connected in RGB to a CRT. PS3 in HDMI to a LCD was a dramatically inferior experience.

WageSlave

Golden Knight of the Realm
FF6. LOVED. Kefka Rocked!

FF7. LOVED. Sephiroth or Darth Vader as coolest villain of all time? Laugh now but that was a serious discussion back in the day!

FF8. HATED. Enemies level up with you? Best strategy is to stay as low level as possible? You have betrayed me Squenix. BETRAYED ME!

FF9. LOVED. Long live Vivi! Long live Sir Rust-a-lot!

FF10. LOVED. Great characters. Great Story. Just pretend Quina and Blitz Ball don't exist.

FF10-2. HATED then liked. Really hated this on release. Gave it another try with the HD remake and its mostly a good game. Battle system and game mechanics were better than remembered. Really suffered from a complete lack of an epic story.

FF12. LOVED. Loved the story. Loved the setting. Loved the characters. Loved the magitech. Loved Ashe's red leather mini skirt. Just pretend Vaan and Penelo dont exist. Wish this game had a good sequel on a console. Never had the handheld so could't play the actual sequel.

FF13. MIXED. Loved the battle system. HATED the characters. Apparently there was a story hidden in the lore I didn't read. Who knew?

FF13-2. MIXED. Mostly better than 13. Had 90% of a story. Squenix in "Oh. You want an ending with that? Wait a year and buy the DLC!" mode. BETRAYED AGAIN!

FF13-3. HATED. Not even pretending to be a JRPG anymore. Lame attempt at an ARPG with recycled artwork and characters from FF13 and FF13-2. Betrayed but not really caring anymore.

Juvarisx

Florida
PS1 emulation on PS3 is absolutely atrocious when it comes to visuals. I am not sure if it's because of the way they emulate the graphic processor or if it's a CRT vs LCD problem or both, but anything polygonal craps the bed and the aliasing is insane. I recently played through Chrono Cross and did it on a PS2 connected in RGB to a CRT. PS3 in HDMI to a LCD was a dramatically inferior experience.
Brutal

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
It's a CRT vs. LCD issue, I'm pretty sure. The PS1 graphics are designed as such to factor in the typical blur of a CRT, and 480p resolution. It's like some LCDs and full screen text mode where the text gets all jagged. The PS2 handles this much better.

Fadaar

That guy
FF10 was without question the best gameplay wise, the combat system was perfect. Most of the characters were alright too, just the fact that the two main characters (Tidus and Yuna) were so naive and retarded. The terrible voice acting for those two didn't help either.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Tidus wasn't a main character. He was completely irrelevant to the whole goddamn story. You could have deleted him from the game and it wouldn't change a thing, just like removing Vaan and Penelo probably wouldn't have changed a thing about FF12.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Or removing Indy from Raiders.
smile.png

Zaide

TLP Idealist
The decision to purchase a PS4 just keeps getting better and better. Bloodborne and now FF7, thank you video game gods.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I am 10000 percent sure ff xv and ffvii will eventually get PC release. Square has been pushing games on steam for awhile now...its just the waiting. Its going to use the xv engine undoubtedly so the assets just need to be produced and layed out. It will prob have a modern battle system and all that jazz. Its not going to be a "classic" ff7. They may even make knights of the round a QTE!

Fadaar

That guy
Tidus wasn't a main character. He was completely irrelevant to the whole goddamn story. You could have deleted him from the game and it wouldn't change a thing, just like removing Vaan and Penelo probably wouldn't have changed a thing about FF12.
Ok yeah you're technically right, but he was the POV character.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Once again, you were playing the wrong damn game. Titus was a major star on the Beseid Aurochs.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Once again, you were playing the wrong damn game. Titus was a major star on the Beseid Aurochs.
Blitzball was the only minigame Squeenix ever created that was worse than Triple Triad. Except it wasn't even a minigame. Like 1/3rd of FFX was Blitzball.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Blitzball was the only minigame Squeenix ever created that was worse than Triple Triad. Except it wasn't even a minigame. Like 1/3rd of FFX was Blitzball.
Now your ass is trolling. Triple triad is a kings game. That ff9 abomination is where anger should lie. Blitzball just had too much grind to it.