Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Just finished up the MSQ. Did not disappoint. And that 80 dungeon just before the last boss...holy shit. I also don’t know how the hell Soken consistently shits out such amazing fucking music. Can’t wait to get the album when it’s released.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I don't understand the point of sub 30 being a different class AT ALL. Ok I'm a marauder up to 30 now I'm a warrior. There was no branching or anything. What the fuck was the point ?

It's also a carry over from 11(sorta), with needing a certain level/nation rank/story completion too unlock other jobs, it worked great in 1.0 but sense ARR it's been shit, glad they just went the JC route though, but Yoshi has said he would like too go back and do some more "clean-up" for the pre-ARR classes. But I bet they are just busy as hell right now, with everything coming down the pipe, Savage, New Game+, more job balancing, etc etc..

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I've done about 22 of the MSQ so far in Heavensward, gotten a chocobo that can fly, and started working on the quests to unlock flying.

I took some time to try out the Machinist and Astrologian jobs. I still prefer the Samurai over all the other jobs although I have dabbled a little here and there with red mage. Honsestly, I like the simplicity of the Samurai's combat rotation. It works for me.

Looking at the wiki, I see that the MSQ for Heavensward is laid out in level ranges (like a set is for 52-53, 54-55, etc). I am assuming that I can I mainly just do the MSQ quests in Heavensward and expect to get my main job (Samurai) to 60 by the end of it similar to how ARR worked out.

Over all, I'm have a good time in Heavensward.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm thinking to get back into this as I've got a hankering for some level grindy action. I just checked my old account and I have a 50 DRK with the Heavensward expansion. So seems like I have that entire expansion to do. Would I get anything at all from either of the newer expansions? Or can I just hold off, hoping they go on sale before I hit 60.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I'm thinking to get back into this as I've got a hankering for some level grindy action. I just checked my old account and I have a 50 DRK with the Heavensward expansion. So seems like I have that entire expansion to do. Would I get anything at all from either of the newer expansions? Or can I just hold off, hoping they go on sale before I hit 60.
I'm in a similar situation as yourself as I just started Heavensward for the first time. The only reason I bought ShB is because I got in on the pre-order (like literally the day before it stopped being a "pre" order lol). I wanted what ever it gave me for pre-ordering. Other than that, I don't think there is any reason to buy it until you are higher level, but I could be wrong.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'm torn on an alt job to level up :( i still want to main my BLM but i want to level a tank i think.

Any good youtuber nerds with tank breakdowns in Shadowbringers? i swapped to my war/drk and like half the abilities dont exist anymore lol

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
I've done about 22 of the MSQ so far in Heavensward, gotten a chocobo that can fly, and started working on the quests to unlock flying.

I took some time to try out the Machinist and Astrologian jobs. I still prefer the Samurai over all the other jobs although I have dabbled a little here and there with red mage. Honsestly, I like the simplicity of the Samurai's combat rotation. It works for me.

Looking at the wiki, I see that the MSQ for Heavensward is laid out in level ranges (like a set is for 52-53, 54-55, etc). I am assuming that I can I mainly just do the MSQ quests in Heavensward and expect to get my main job (Samurai) to 60 by the end of it similar to how ARR worked out.

Over all, I'm have a good time in Heavensward.

I enjoy both Samurai and Red Mage myself. Samurai has a nice simple rotation/combo system, so its nice once you have your rotation down so you can focus on the fights rather than your keybinds.

As far as the MSQ, I think you should have the "Road to 70" buff, so you should be fine just sticking to the MSQ the whole way. Worse case, if you end up a bit short at a given level, you could just do a dungeon or MSQ Roulette and that should get you more than enough xp to push you over.

For you, if you buy Stormblood, you will be able to pick up the two new jobs (Samurai and Red Mage) and can level those, since they start at level 50. The Shadowbringers jobs start level 60, so I don't think you can start those till you finish Stormblood.

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
Cool, thanks for that info. As far as leveling, is there a big difference between the archetypes? I've always leaned towards tanking when it comes to grouping, but if I just wanna plow through the content/story, would it go noticeably quicker as a DPS class or Sam/RDM?

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
Cool, thanks for that info. As far as leveling, is there a big difference between the archetypes? I've always leaned towards tanking when it comes to grouping, but if I just wanna plow through the content/story, would it go noticeably quicker as a DPS class or Sam/RDM?

Overall, I would say no. I leveled from ARR all the way through Stormblood as WAR just fine, especially once i had my chocobo healing me, since nothing in the quests came close to killing me and kill speed wasn't that much slower than a DPS, since I could often pull 3-4 mobs and AoE them down while running mitigation cooldowns. DPS may kill slightly faster, but you will have to occasionally use your healing or mitigation cooldowns, depending on what you are fighting.

I'm torn on an alt job to level up :( i still want to main my BLM but i want to level a tank i think.

Any good youtuber nerds with tank breakdowns in Shadowbringers? i swapped to my war/drk and like half the abilities dont exist anymore lol

I haven't had a chance to level a tank yet, but my understanding from reading about them is that they are overall in a good place right now:
PAL, I think, still has an edge in overall mitigation with their whole toolkit plus their healing.
DRK also has very good mitigation due to them removing the Dark Arts spam crap and The Blackest Night now being a short cooldown, strong absorb shield.
WAR is still the same damage sponge WAR, but they do pickup good self healing from 70-80 and still have good DPS.
GBR sounds like a good all around pick, with solid attack combos and may even have the edge in AoE versus the other tanks.

I would say pick whichever fits how you want to play and run with it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'll just dick around with them, i'm mostly curious about paladin (i started as a gld when ARR came out) but didn't enjoy it back then and only made it to 35 so it's hard to gauge that class.
My war is 60, DRK is 51 and i dont think i really liked GBR though so i doubt ill bother with that class.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Healers and tanks level faster because of all the required instances and them having fast queues. For the solo aspect, kinda doesn't matter although tanks have an easier time than healers imo. But not that much, and there's really very little killing random mobs as part of the MSQ, it's mostly sidequests(which aren't worth doing), and FATEs but these can be done as healer/tank just as fast by spamming aoes instead(can tank more mobs with them than DPS generally).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So is determination best or something else?
Generally crit > det is what you want for healers. Crit when possible, det otherwise. Spellspeed tends to be kinda bad because it doesn't affect your oGCD heals(aka most of your healing) and piety is only useful if you have mp issues, which currently you shouldn't have when playing properly. Direct hit might be worth it for savage on WHM if they don't nerf WHM, maybe, it's purely a DPS stat though so it'd be fairly limited cases situations.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Det is definitely better than crit right now, with possibly an exception for SCH if you find yourself casting Adlo a lot.