Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Tol_sl

shitlord
I said it in the eq thread, but I think the solution is basically to have /melody for melee. I hate hotbar DDR. Just give me an option to put my preferred rotation into auto-attack/melody. Thats exactly what I do with my G15 half the time anyway. If it's a dps skill on a global cooldown that I have to press every 1.5 seconds, there's basically no time Idon'twant to use it. The only shit that needs to be manual in most cases is stuff like stuns, healing, mez, and long cooldown burst style attacks. If a battle boils down to me pressing 1,2,3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 1, 3, 3, 2, 3, 3, 3 in the same rotation for 15 minutes, I'm going to be bored and irritated nearly all the time.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
WoW always had a 1.5s gcd, and XIV's is 2.5s. That's still a massive difference even if you ignore the much more recent WoW changes that gave 1.0s GCD to certain classes. They should be no more than 2.0s imo.Istill wouldn't play a melee, but I suppose I would call it in the realm of sanity.

Melee isn't the only problem though; I'd really love it if spells were adjusted as well. Stone is far too prone to interrupts when soloing at 2.5s cast. Even Cure 1 (2.0s cast, but still bound by the 2.5s gcd) can be hard to get off without using Sprint to run far away. Esuna is rather irritating when you consider that unless the debuff/poison stacks, odds are by the time you cast the damn spell it's going to wear off in a couple more seconds at most anyway. And the worst offender of all is Stoneskin--a 3.0s cast time makes it practically worthless except for pre-buffing the tank before a pull.
Other than the warrior who was tanking tho no class actually used an ability every GCD, for most classes it was an ability every 3-4 seconds in classic era WoW. So what made that combat bearable and this combat so bad? Is it that having the 1.5s gcd and being able to use 3 abilities in 3 seconds followed by 4 seconds of downtime was better or just that people are more ADD now and want to hit their button every second cause thats 'fun'?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Even warrior wasn't that fast until Fury took off, which was BWL/AQ or so but in MC and early BWL warriors were like MS arms build and you were rage starved all the fucking time anyway. Hunter was Aimed Shot spam so that was slow as fuck, rogues had plenty of energy issues so their 1s GCD was pointless. I guess the "problem" is people won't compare to old wow but to current wow, which is a fuckton more spammable with classes like enhance shaman, feral druid, non energy starved rogues and whatever else they have nowadays.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
4 hotbars was enough to cover every single ability, buff, tradeskill, macro, potion, and cooldown back then. Actual ability usage for raiding was less than one hotbar's worth.

Not all ability trees were viable so most were useless and a lot were situational regardless of what combat you were in.

Roxby

Lord Nagafen Raider
they should throw in the skill chains from FFXI. I'd like to see some synergy moves. That way the GCD wouldn't matter as much as working with your team.

That was one of the best parts of FFXI

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Other than the warrior who was tanking tho no class actually used an ability every GCD, for most classes it was an ability every 3-4 seconds in classic era WoW. So what made that combat bearable and this combat so bad? Is it that having the 1.5s gcd and being able to use 3 abilities in 3 seconds followed by 4 seconds of downtime was better or just that people are more ADD now and want to hit their button every second cause thats 'fun'?
There's just something ''off" about the combat to me when I play a melee. I think a big part of the problem is that autoattack is also way too slow and doesn't do enough to fill the gaps. It's especially noticeable on a class like Pugilist which you'd expect to be very quick but instead feels just as bogged down as a Marauder with a huge 2H axe, as others have pointed out above. And yes, part of it is also that the other games I play/played recently are all much faster paced, whether it's WoW's 1s gcd for DKs or games like TERA or DCUO that have combat systems that are not even remotely like traditional MMOs still using Diku-style combat.

Melee I can accept as just being not my style, and I simply won't play one. It's the cast times that really bug the hell out of me, because they make casters have to stand still for far too long, and there are far too many mob abilities out there that practically guarantee an interrupt.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
I feel the same way, I have tried to play every beta weekend so far and after a 1-2 hours I just give up. Not having fun for some reason......to much errand boy quests and being forced to do the crafting quests in order to level up. Fuck that, I want to step outside, pick a direction, start running and explore and SEE what happens to my character and the world......none of this carrot on stick, go to the little dot on the map to turn in quest BS.
This stops at level 15. As someone who absolutely hates that type of crap, I thoroughly enjoyed 30-35 and 20-30 was decent as well.

I prolly won't play the game if they lower all the gcds and speed up combat to wows pace. I really enjoy the slightly slower pace of gameplay. I don't understand the people who have fun playing a game where you hit a button every second for hours on end.

And lets be honest, the current pace is pretty close to what WoW classic was, its still much faster than EQ.
I played a Rogue with a 1.0 GCD at WoW release. Later switched to Warlock and didn't have any problem with them at 1.5

If the transition was seamless like that I would not be bothered. I am bothered at 2.5

Even warrior wasn't that fast until Fury took off, which was BWL/AQ or so but in MC and early BWL warriors were like MS arms build and you were rage starved all the fucking time anyway. Hunter was Aimed Shot spam so that was slow as fuck, rogues had plenty of energy issues so their 1s GCD was pointless. I guess the "problem" is people won't compare to old wow but to current wow, which is a fuckton more spammable with classes like enhance shaman, feral druid, non energy starved rogues and whatever else they have nowadays.
with rogue you could burst or not. xiv has no option. with even a 2.0 gcd my marauder would be TP starved a lot, but at least it gives more combat options. i dont want to slam a button for no reason but I think if youre going to build a game that is a derivative of wow clones then you need good wow clone combat. it's not broken currently. grating and annoying? yes

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
This stops at level 15. As someone who absolutely hates that type of crap, I thoroughly enjoyed 30-35 and 20-30 was decent as well.

I played a Rogue with a 1.0 GCD at WoW release. Later switched to Warlock and didn't have any problem with them at 1.5

If the transition was seamless like that I would not be bothered. I am bothered at 2.5

with rogue you could burst or not. xiv has no option. with even a 2.0 gcd my marauder would be TP starved a lot, but at least it gives more combat options. i dont want to slam a button for no reason but I think if youre going to build a game that is a derivative of wow clones then you need good wow clone combat. it's not broken currently. grating and annoying? yes
I enjoy the slower pace personally.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Even Cure 1 (2.0s cast, but still bound by the 2.5s gcd) can be hard to get off without using Sprint to run far away. Esuna is rather irritating when you consider that unless the debuff/poison stacks, odds are by the time you cast the damn spell it's going to wear off in a couple more seconds at most anyway. And the worst offender of all is Stoneskin--a 3.0s cast time makes it practically worthless except for pre-buffing the tank before a pull.
Even outside of the GCD conversation Esuna is just worthless as it is right now. Like you point out, the cast time is so long there is no reason to cast it. In Maw, Blyfox, and umm... one other place, the Poison / Status Ailments were all AE anyways. No way in hell to cure a whole group, and properly geared I just waited for it to run course and Medica, pow, group back to full health. It was okay fighting the Marlboro Fate in South Shroud because Bad Breath applies a ton of status. Esuna seemed to have some built in priority and not just do it off the top of the stack (but we only fought him twice and didn't test that much). A lot of words to say how much I hate it. Right now it is only useful to cure a Stone or Paralysis on the MT, or to play around and clear Heavy off a group member while traveling.

And I completely forgot I had Stoneskin after using it once. It needs to be moved in the spell list, getting it at 34 and immediately getting the increased version at 36 isn't well thought out. Give it to CNJ earlier to learn how to use it and then buff it up later on.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I quickly learned that the only two things you bother to remove with Esuna are Paralyze and stacking poisons.

P.S. The fact that a Surecasted Esuna can still be interrupted by Paralyze can suck it.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Thinking about it some more, I don't see why they can't try to appease both camps. Have some classes that have very quick GCDs, and others that are slower paced. Classes like Pugilist could fall under the banner of fast melee, whereas classes like Lancer could be slow melee. Archer could be fast ranged, whereas Thaumaturge could be slow ranged, etc.
Ugh, fuck that. I think people asking for super fast GCDs are ADD fucktards, as WoW's pace and hotbar spamming was terrible. I greatly prefer the slower pace on my Archer.

Also, an Archer shooting super fast makes dick all sense to me.

fletch101

Lord Nagafen Raider
I hope it scales up or something, because @ 30 it was pretty useless.

I will have to do some testing to find exact data.
At level 35, +7 skill speed equated to a change of 0.01s for my weapon skill recast time. This change was determined from the tooltip of the two skills (not from the weapon tooltip). So while leveling, at least to phase 3 cap, skill speed is a definite avoid if you have a choice.

Speaking of stats, here is an example of how the random element on gear drops works:

My Character (try not to stare)

Non-randomized version of the Bow
Non-randomized version of the Chest

In my case, I would definitely be looking for a change-out of the chest piece due to the current ineffectiveness of Skill/Cast Speed.

-Squirts

Sythrak_sl

shitlord
Combat will never be as fast as WoW just because they have to tune around the gamepad. Doesn't matter how they make the UI the mouse/keyboard will always be more responsive.

Also iirc 10 skill/spell speed = .01 off the gcd at 50.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well melee in ffxi was auto attack and when you hit 100tp you did a weapon skill. It was slow as shit. This is a monumental improvement

Syia_sl

shitlord
I hope it scales up or something, because @ 30 it was pretty useless.

I will have to do some testing to find exact data.
Someone did some testing at 50, and a Monk with 3 stacks of greased lightning (Greased Lightning Bonus: Increases damage dealt by 7% and attack speed by 5%) was only able to drop their GCD to ~ 2.0s. As pugilist, the flow of combat was a bit too slow with a default GCD of 2.5. I'm not asking for 1.0 spam speed of WoW, but a baseline GCD of 2.0 with the option to skill speed to ~1.5s +- .2s would feel a lot better for the class, and probably most other classes as well.

Other thoughts from the beta weekend:

On the topic of GLD vs MRD from earlier: I was parsing the damage of the whole group during Maws and Manor with Delius Asura (GLD), Trix Mix, and Saidy. The GLD tank did about 80% of my damage (pugilist) and the archer stayed around the same as me before limit breaks were factored in. I had rolled with a cleave group in Maw before that with a MRD and he was parsing similar numbers to the GLD as well. Given that the MRD was spamming AOE moves, it was interesting to note the similarities in damage of GLD and MRD.

Equipment/Crafting/Gathering
Gear and attribute allocation is too simple. There?s no reason to leave your primary stat on your class. There are no interesting effects on gear, it?s all the same +stats grind like WoW. I?d be happy to see loot with special bonuses, to make multiple BiS sets that aren?t just based around maximal primary stat. There should also be in-game tooltips describing what each stat does.
Battle system
  • Combat responsiveness needs improved. If you leave an AOE circle before the cast finishes, you should expect to not be hit. I?ve found that if you?re inside the red circle with less than half a second left in the cast, there?s a good chance of being hit by the ability anyways.
  • Monsters move too fast, melee range is too small; you cannot hit a monster if it steps away from you to chase a player. As a pugilist, I have no ranged attacks. If I moved with the monster, doing damage was fine, but even a slight delay and I could find myself never catching up.
  • DoTs are not very interesting. They are unaffected by buffs, debuffs, and require near full uptime to out damage most regular attacks. In addition, DoTs/HoTs/TP/Mana regen are all tied to the server clock. This leads to a pretty uninteresting nuanced combat system. Players who are used to MMOs can?t optimize the fine details in their damage rotation to the current standard, which leads to some ?boringness? to the battle system.
  • Many classes have awkward GCDs and prerequisites for abilities. For example, GLDs stun is on the GCD and pugilist silence requires stance I activated.
  • Limit breaks being usable by only one party member is not very dynamic. I would love to see individual limit breaks that could skill-chain (similar to FFXI) and are more quickly generated by some method of proper team play.
  • TP is mostly pointless. Maximizing your rotation depletes TP on sustained fights and your only option is to wait on it to regenerate. As a pugilist, there were instances where I would have to wait to reapply my stacking buff (greased lightning) at the last second which made my effective GCD > 3s. It would make more sense if each class had a custom combo that allowed for filler TP regeneration.
  • As is, monks/dragoons will require a bard to maintain uptime (someone pointed this out on the battle system forum), especially with skill speed on monks.
  • The targeting radius, the surface area to click a player, is too small. I have a horrible time in combat selecting people because it seems there?s not enough ?padding? around the character to click on them.

Architecture
Basic features like whisper, free company/link shell pane, and trade should be available while in instanced dungeons. I don?t understand why you can?t see player information if they?re in another zone while partied. Then, on top of that, you can?t even queue for a levequest or do parts of the main story while in a party. There were just too many times where I was unable to communicate with people because one of us would go into a dungeon or have to drop party to do a solo quest.
Graphics/Animation
Shadows and foliage look terrible. Some sliding on the ground while using abilities can be annoying, but I mostly was able to overlook it.
Interface
  • The interface was not very modular. I could not change the size of specific elements, nor could I modify the style of the majority of the components.
  • There?s no reason to have to input quest items to finish a quest. You can just force the text field to pop up if they want you to slow down and read something on completion.
  • I didn?t see an option, but I?d like my default chat to be whatever channel I?ve last typed in.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Combat will never be as fast as WoW just because they have to tune around the gamepad. Doesn't matter how they make the UI the mouse/keyboard will always be more responsive.

Also iirc 10 skill/spell speed = .01 off the gcd at 50.
Edit : nvm , see math wasnt my major :p

Is spell speed both GCD and cast times for Casters? Does that count say with archer and their movies that have a "cast" time.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
No, it would take 1000 to get 1 second off the GCD at 10 skill for every .01 second off.