Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
syrups are yellow btw, but your point still stands, and it kind of sucks b/c all the work you may have done using ventures to farm up stockpiles of certain mats for scrip grinding they may now completely change on us. I get it that syrups were probably too ridiculous, and have been the whole expansion so far, but not sure I like the full revamp of everything. This will affect stuff people were using for white scrips as well, probably.
I don't necessarily think they're revamping it because of syrups, and more because the system was kinda confusing, with the reset being at a different time, the items changing but sometimes only having one choice so they don't change and just the whole thing. They're just scraping the whole collectible system and just making it special items like the new stuff and like they did with custom deliveries last patch(or whenever that was). No more forgetting to put your buff on shit, you just craft item x that's always the same and is specifically in the "Rowena delivery" category and you're good to go. It also removes the whole waiting for the "right" turn in shit that could sometimes takes several days with bad luck, now you just always know what you're getting and how you're getting it. I assume some crafts will still be a lot better than others for it though, but maybe not as bad too.

Overall goes along all the crafting reworks they've made lately so not too surprised, and can't say I care. Granted I should probably have done my tools shit before the change since it's almost guaranteed the new system will be worse than starred syrups but oh well, I'll probably get the weapons done over time doing customs instead of rushing it.

Cybsled

The beefed up trial craft looks nice as well, plus I love the new ingame feature where you can check to see what crafting items the thing you have is used in vs. needing to look it up on the web

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't necessarily think they're revamping it because of syrups, and more because the system was kinda confusing, with the reset being at a different time, the items changing but sometimes only having one choice so they don't change and just the whole thing. They're just scraping the whole collectible system and just making it special items like the new stuff and like they did with custom deliveries last patch(or whenever that was). No more forgetting to put your buff on shit, you just craft item x that's always the same and is specifically in the "Rowena delivery" category and you're good to go. It also removes the whole waiting for the "right" turn in shit that could sometimes takes several days with bad luck, now you just always know what you're getting and how you're getting it. I assume some crafts will still be a lot better than others for it though, but maybe not as bad too.

Overall goes along all the crafting reworks they've made lately so not too surprised, and can't say I care. Granted I should probably have done my tools shit before the change since it's almost guaranteed the new system will be worse than starred syrups but oh well, I'll probably get the weapons done over time doing customs instead of rushing it.

I feel like it shouldn't be that confusing, would only be like 3 different possibilities that it could shift between daily, and most of the time if you were trying to be efficient you'd only stock up on certain mats to use certain craft classes for whoever used the cheapest crystals to make stuff. I guess it could be annoying if you forgot to put the buff on, but honestly that should only happen once or twice to anyone if they aren't...well...dumb?

I get simplifying it and all that, I just wish it was done for 6.0, and not in the middle of an expansion. The crafting rework you'd just change your macros, takes barely any time. If it's all new mats you have to stockpile, that's a lot of wasted time/ventures stockpiling out of date mats. I guess we'll have to see how it shakes out, though.

Daidraco

I know a lot of people coming back for this patch, myself included. We should cross-server some stuff. If only casually.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Bought shadowbringers since it was on sale and reactivated acct. Haven't actually logged in to play, last time I had an active sub Golden Saucer had just come out back in classic.

Thinking I'm gonna swap my Pugilist to Red Mage to get some hybrid casting action if I actually sit down to play just cause so much has changed since the last time I was on.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
There's no hybrid about it. RDM is full on caster. You aren't doing anything in melee range except once every minute or two to hop in, blow your load, and hop back out.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Shadowbringers actually made me give a shit about the worlds lore too, which wasn’t really that interesting up until shadowbringers, and it’s really the only mmo that’s ever had lore worth learning too.
I've skipped every cut scene through all the MSQ up until the latest expansion. I remember I had pre-ordered it but then canceled the pre-order and quit before it ever dropped. I'm hearing though that ShB is one hell of an expansion, and totally worth it.

• 1Like

Cybsled

You missed some great cutscenes, then. ARR, HW, and SB all have some good shit in them (and fluff, but that is every xpac).

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You missed some great cutscenes, then. ARR, HW, and SB all have some good shit in them (and fluff, but that is every xpac).
That's what I hear, but I couldn't be bothered with the story. I've never been into the Lore, and usually the Lore is terrible so it holds out and skipping the story is just what everyone does. Not the case in FF14, but I wasn't able to break that habit. I should go back and watch the story on Youtube, so I at least know what's going on maybe?

Cybsled

You can go back and rewatch MSQ cutscenes. You know the inn room you get at game start? There is a writing desk in there called Unending Journey where if you click on it, it lists all the MSQ cutscene in chronological order and you can rewatch them.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can go back and rewatch MSQ cutscenes. You know the inn room you get at game start? There is a writing desk in there called Unending Journey where if you click on it, it lists all the MSQ cutscene in chronological order and you can rewatch them.

Admittedly I haven't explored it yet but doesn't the, "New Game" option allow you to replay the MSQ again as well?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Admittedly I haven't explored it yet but doesn't the, "New Game" option allow you to replay the MSQ again as well?
Yeah although it's missing some stuff still.

Full patch notes are out, nerfs/buffs more or less as expected, SMN nerf looks big but isn't all that big overall and they should still be on the strong/OP side, war got some nice QoL and a bit of DPS boost, MNK got QoL and a small DPS boost, BRD got a bunch of damage boost and AST got a bunch of mp buffs and some mechanics change that don't sound so great but are maybe better(can get guaranteed missing orbs for the aoe buff, but lose the old sleeve draw mechanic of drawing 3 cards in a row, and it's still 3mins cd so feels kinda bad).

Other interesting change is they're removing all the old unupgraded tome gear from poetics and centurio, instead you just buy the upgraded version(including the weapons without having to buy 10tickets and all that bullshit). Should help with newbs running around with unupgraded shire gear and a lvl 48 white weapon. No reason for unupgraded gear before anyway other than saving poetics(I assume the cost is going to get higher as a result of the change) which you generally didn't care too much about. Also first time dungeon xp bonus for leveling(excluding the 50 60 70 dungeons). Oh and no more chests with random potions/ethers whatever apparently, plus syrcus etc don't drop upgrade mats anymore due to first change, so less garbage in your bags to clear out if you don't exit fast enough.

Last edited:

Malkav

French Madman
lol @ that WAR QoL.

Storm's Eye is even more dumbed down. Don't even need to think about refreshing it before IR as IR adds 15sec to it.

Cybsled

Oh and no more chests with random potions/ethers whatever apparently, plus syrcus etc don't drop upgrade mats anymore due to first change, so less garbage in your bags to clear out if you don't exit fast enough.

This scared me for a second until I saw it only impacted shit that wasn't unique to the dungeon. Manor Varnish/Wax is a good money maker.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have high hopes for the 5.3 main scenario, given how 5.2 ended. I'm really hoping they lead off with a lore bomb because the cutscenes after finishing Anamnesis Anyder were a complete tease.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Bah, was going to hit a resub this morning and fiddle around with some fantasia for my character, but I guess maintenance is already going. Tomorrow, then!

Daidraco

lol @ that WAR QoL.

Storm's Eye is even more dumbed down. Don't even need to think about refreshing it before IR as IR adds 15sec to it.

I'll take it. That QOL change alone will bring up dps across the board for Warriors, simply because in all likelihood the buff will still be ticking by the time the raid mechanic DDR shit is done.

Nascent FlashNo longer requires a target party member to execute.

Will also be less of a Macro fest / nice QOL change.

A little annoyed that this patch is a 24 hour patch though. Signed up yesterday thinking I could at least re-familiarize myself and my g/f with the game before the new content drops.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'll take it. That QOL change alone will bring up dps across the board for Warriors, simply because in all likelihood the buff will still be ticking by the time the raid mechanic DDR shit is done.

Nascent FlashNo longer requires a target party member to execute.

Will also be less of a Macro fest / nice QOL change.

A little annoyed that this patch is a 24 hour patch though. Signed up yesterday thinking I could at least re-familiarize myself and my g/f with the game before the new content drops.
Major version patches are basically always 24h. Just how they do things, minor patches are shorter, sometimes a few hours but the big ones are 24h(and they do 24h when they do big server shit too like adding housing or when they split the datacenters). I resubbed sunday so I could do some of my weeklies before the reset(but was too lazy to cap tomes).

• 1Like