Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
When you mentioned Chemist as the next possible new class, my mind immediately went to healer. Was thinking something more akin to the Chloromancer theme from Rift maybe? Though, if Im Diablo 3'ing it up and throwing potion bottles at people - Im cool with that lul.

Cybsled

Most people in the West probably remember them from FFT, where they basically threw healing items at people and had a gun as a weapon. They've had the class in other FF games where mixing shit to create more powerful effects was a thing, including FFV and FFX-2.

I suspect they'll use the mixing mechanic and keep the gun as a weapon because that fits in with Garlemond for healing (technology/science based healing). I wouldn't be surprised if they use a number of different techniques for healing...some being old school toss a potion at a player and maybe something inspired by Ana from Overwatch (heal bullets lol).

Geomancer or Time Mage are probably good guesses for magical DPS. I suspect if they went time mage, they would use Gaia as a basis. Geomancer maybe if they went for an Avatar vibe with element bending could be cool also.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Geomancer could also be healer mind you. In XI they were healers, and they'd mirror AST as the "support healer" since they had ground buffs shit like WoW's shaman totems. Or it could be something entirely different, there's a lot of things they could go with if they wanted to, doesn't have to be a class that existed in another game either, or could be from one of the non FF square games(Tactics Ogre and such).

Similarly, Chemist could be the "magic" DPS class, using aether to infuse magic potions and other alchemical type spells.

There's really no telling what they'll do and while a gun/potion type class would work well thematically with the expansion, they released Dancer with ShB and the class has fuck all to do with the theme, besides that one bunny girl that uses chakram as a Trust in the first leveling dungeon, and she could have easily used any other type of weapon. And SB had Red Mage, which is very very loosely related(just Red Magic was practiced in Ala Mhigo in the past or whatever but if anything the emblematic class of Ala Mhigo would be MNK).

So I personally don't expect much, no reason to get disapointed when they add neither Chemist or Geomancer and instead go for some obscure shit from a game I didn't even play or just a pure FFXIV new class like Magitek Engineer or whatever.

They also had A LOT of Beastmaster shit in Bozjan, which could hint at a new limited job, or just a new job, or nothing. They do that stuff pretty often.

Cybsled

True, although the game did give some hints about chemist, though. During the MSQ, that little cat girl talks about wanting to become a WoL, but they use potions to heal people.

Guess we will find out in 2 weeks

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
True, although the game did give some hints about chemist, though. During the MSQ, that little cat girl talks about wanting to become a WoL, but they use potions to heal people.

Guess we will find out in 2 weeks
Well everyone uses potions, and they've had chemist stuff for a while with Black Rose experiments and so on. It's also not very different than Alchemist, just a more combat medic oriented style. But they have a lot of this, for example Pirates/Merlwyb have been using 1h guns for a while and there's still the Musketeer guild in Limsa, and that never came to pass, they did Machinist instead with HW. There was also Geomancy in the Astrologian quests during Stormblood. Rauhbahn dual wields 1h weapons but isn't close to a rogue or ninja but also nothing like that added and during that one arc in ARR people were thinking they'd add Spellblade/Runeblade cause that traitor guy seemed to use this kind of stuff. Just saying there's always mentions or characters using classes that aren't accessible but it doesn't mean that much for the future, especially now that they covered most of the "must haves".

That said I'd be very interested in a chemist class as a healer so I'd like that, just saying while a lot of people have speculated it could be the case, a lot of people(myself included) speculated Dancer was going to be a healer(and DNC had been leaked early on).

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
hmm Chemist ehh *shrug* would be interesting...

A lot of people are saying "Sub-jobs" might be making an appearance .. course everything on lock-down anything is speculation til the 5th.

Albiet Corsair seems highly likely , but at the same time we got DNC for range DPS they do seem to follow a specific pattern with the job releases..

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Interestingly, they're running a Live Letter a few hours after the expansion reveal to talk about 5.5(and maybe a bit about 5.45). Expansion stream is at 5:30PM PST, Liveletter is at 10PM PST.

Cybsled

The game had limited sub jobs forever ago and they dumped them, I doubt they would return to them. Plus it makes balance a lot harder.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That is a challenge they are going to ignore. "Unique job identity" is something that gets watered down and homogenized between the existing classes with every patch.

Yeah, that's the primary reason I unsubbed. They gutted my Astro kit and now all the healers feel so very samey, much the same as the tanks.

Dancer was fun almost purely for the mobility but fuck those queue times.

Cybsled

Interesting piece

Although we will be revealing a significant amount of information at the Announcement Showcase, we do have a digital Fan Festival planned in May, where we’ll have even more information to announce.

Stands to reason they won't be revealing everything about the next xpac in Feb

Merrith

Interesting piece

Stands to reason they won't be revealing everything about the next xpac in Feb

Isn't that kind of normal? I know they usually have an intro trailer for the new expansion, then later on they'll have a launch trailer with more info?

Cybsled

They usually do across the various fanfests, but most of them are being consolidated this year

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Na even when they have fanfests, they also have live letters after that talking about the expansion more in details. Which usually is in may. It is unclear if that may will be similar or if it's just gonna emulate a "second" fanfest instead in terms of content. Basically, the feb5th event would only reveal 2/3rd of the trailer, only one out of 2 classes, and a few other things like the first fanfest does, then the may event would reveal the other class, the full trailer and some more details.

If it's like the usual "may liveletter" stuff though, it'd be more showing off new skills for existing classes(class trailer+yoship showing handson gameplay of various classes), showing off one of the primal fights(Titania for ShB since Inno was spoilers), talking about beast tribes and so on.

Guess we'll see.

On another note, 5.45 is being patched in next week, I expected mid feb after the announcements, but it's next tuesday instead. Not much interesting if you're not into BLU though, just relic update, new bozjan content similar to BA and well obv the BLU update.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm constantly impressed by the double-think of people on the official forums, specifically the healers.

For over a year there have been lamentations about the sad, bland state of healers right now.

Then when Chemist is seeming like it may happen folks are all of a sudden going, "It will take a fourth healer class to fix the other three and give them defined roles!"

Do they never learn? All that will happen will be that Chemist will be super fucking imbalanced and everyone will play it, the other healers won't get a look in, and in a few months they'll nerf it so all four are bland and shit again.

• 1Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I'm constantly impressed by the double-think of people on the official forums, specifically the healers.

For over a year there have been lamentations about the sad, bland state of healers right now.

Then when Chemist is seeming like it may happen folks are all of a sudden going, "It will take a fourth healer class to fix the other three and give them defined roles!"

Do they never learn? All that will happen will be that Chemist will be super fucking imbalanced and everyone will play it, the other healers won't get a look in, and in a few months they'll nerf it so all four are bland and shit again.
I want CHM to require a level 80 ALC.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I already have my Alc at 80 so that's done.

Patch on the 2nd though, Bozja(More Relics), Blu mage to 70, + whatever else they add...

Merrith

Na even when they have fanfests, they also have live letters after that talking about the expansion more in details. Which usually is in may. It is unclear if that may will be similar or if it's just gonna emulate a "second" fanfest instead in terms of content. Basically, the feb5th event would only reveal 2/3rd of the trailer, only one out of 2 classes, and a few other things like the first fanfest does, then the may event would reveal the other class, the full trailer and some more details.

If it's like the usual "may liveletter" stuff though, it'd be more showing off new skills for existing classes(class trailer+yoship showing handson gameplay of various classes), showing off one of the primal fights(Titania for ShB since Inno was spoilers), talking about beast tribes and so on.

Guess we'll see.

On another note, 5.45 is being patched in next week, I expected mid feb after the announcements, but it's next tuesday instead. Not much interesting if you're not into BLU though, just relic update, new bozjan content similar to BA and well obv the BLU update.

Is new bozjan only BA stuff? I thought this was confirmed not the last update to that stuff and figured the new BA would be last.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is new bozjan only BA stuff? I thought this was confirmed not the last update to that stuff and figured the new BA would be last.
The new BA is next week, there should be a step after but it's unclear what it'll be and it'll be announced in the live letter(the one after the expansion announcement). I guess having the new BA stuff earlier is better so people can do it for a longer period of time and stuff, and they might add ways to make it easier in the patch after if they feel like it for example.

Merrith

The new BA is next week, there should be a step after but it's unclear what it'll be and it'll be announced in the live letter(the one after the expansion announcement). I guess having the new BA stuff earlier is better so people can do it for a longer period of time and stuff, and they might add ways to make it easier in the patch after if they feel like it for example.

I guess that sorta makes sense, although the original BA is still done by people that organize runs, crazy enough. Once everything is done in X.5, there's always a lot of time for people to run that you'd think.