Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
What is your quest called?
I just looked it up and it looks like I still have two dozen or so quests left to get to "The Ultimate Weapon" which I assume ends ARR? I've been trying to just blast through it the last two days while still reading the text/watching the vids, but I'm gonna have to just take a break. I just want some more dungeons and to be able to upgrade my gear via poetics. but I'm 58 on 3 classes and I've completed all their main class quests and I'm reaching 50 on a third and still only have access to one level 50 dungeon. I'll stop bitching about it now. I'm just amazed how DENSE this ARR MSQ is in the worst possible way and I keep thinking I see a light at the end of the tunnel but it's an illusion.

I just really wish they didn't force you so hardcore and gate literally everything behind the MSQ. I really enjoy the dungeons I've done and I really enjoy playing the classes I've gotten high, but I don't enjoy playing them in 90% of this ARR content.

Molten Core Raider
Youve got about 70ish quests after the Ultimate Weapon before the Heavensward main quests start. (lots of new dungeons and trials too though, but yeah, a fuckload of quests and some loooong ass cut scenes left)

Goonsquad Officer
yep ultimate weapon is the last ARR quest. the quests in between ARR and HW are when things start getting better IMO. a lot of folks consider the lady iceheart story and boss fight to be a big turning point.

Cybsled

ultima weapon is end of base game ARR (2.0). Then you have 2.1-2.5 before Heavensward.

Most people complain about the post 2.0 grind of 2.1-2.3. 2.4-2.5 is a bit better storywise

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
My god. I wonder if I need to start skipping quest text and cutscenes and just find a summary? I've been more interested in the imperial shit that I'm seeing more of lately at least, but the quest text is as dense as a James Joyce novel. You get 24 lines and about 2 of them had information you care about. I wouldn't care nearly as much if I was just skipping all the text and cut scenes. but I've been gritting my teeth and going through it because I've read so many times that you'll just make it worse for yourself if you do that. So far I think those people are forgetting just how bad 90% of it is. Why wouldn't they? It's utterly forgettable lol. So it makes sense, really.

I really love Scholar though. I almost never heal in MMOs but that class is really coming along nicely. And the instant queues are nice. I rolled a tank for instant queues, but at least in my range, they're more like 5-10minutes whereas healer is literally instant for everything. Scholar is a ton of fun.

Cybsled

I've been more interested in the imperial shit that I'm seeing more of lately at least, but the quest text is as dense as a James Joyce novel. You get 24 lines and about 2 of them had information you care about. I wouldn't care nearly as much if I was just skipping all the text and cut scenes.

Ya, in ARR everyone talks like Urianger it feels like. Then by the time HW rolls around, they realized 1 Urianger is enough lol

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
My god. I wonder if I need to start skipping quest text and cutscenes and just find a summary? I've been more interested in the imperial shit that I'm seeing more of lately at least, but the quest text is as dense as a James Joyce novel. You get 24 lines and about 2 of them had information you care about. I wouldn't care nearly as much if I was just skipping all the text and cut scenes. but I've been gritting my teeth and going through it because I've read so many times that you'll just make it worse for yourself if you do that. So far I think those people are forgetting just how bad 90% of it is. Why wouldn't they? It's utterly forgettable lol. So it makes sense, really.

I really love Scholar though. I almost never heal in MMOs but that class is really coming along nicely. And the instant queues are nice. I rolled a tank for instant queues, but at least in my range, they're more like 5-10minutes whereas healer is literally instant for everything. Scholar is a ton of fun.

Just bear with it and get it done normally. It WILL feel tedious but in the long run it's a pretty satisfying right of passage. While you can do other jobs, if you wanted to do another character etc. Skip away. I've done it and escaped -> clicked yes and MSQ can be done pretty damned quick. Or you can skip with the wallet too but i'm cheap and know it's not that bad to skip cutscenes if i had to do it again for whatever masochistic reason.

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is there a server and a guild for foh newcomers to join?
Hasn’t been an FOH guild since ARR. A lot of us have splintered off to other servers.
Ya, in ARR everyone talks like Urianger it feels like. Then by the time HW rolls around, they realized 1 Urianger is enough lol
I was just going to say that he’s talking about Urianger. Gotta love the guy and his extended vocabulary though. Love that even some of the other scions pick at him about it and some of the dialogue options let you give him shit for it.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider

Think of it this way - ARR quests is like just beginning the search for the abyss extended edition. Heavensward is that feeling you get when you finally find it.

then Stormblood is what it feels like to get your dick chopped off .

but shadowbringers is TFW you finally
love who you are!

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Think of it this way - ARR quests is like just beginning the search for the abyss extended edition. Heavensward is that feeling you get when you finally find it.

then Stormblood is what it feels like to get your dick chopped off .

but shadowbringers is TFW you finally
love who you are!
I'm having a real hard time with this analogy lol. I have no idea what is what here.

So I did the Gaius raid or whatever. Will following the MSQ now lead me to a bunch of new level 50+ dungeons naturally? Or do I have to go out and find those specific quests that unlock the dungeons. Cos in the past I've seen quite a few that could easily be missed and not unlocked. Just wanna unlock new dungeons asap. edit: I think these dozen or so blue quests I just got in revenant's toll are probably dungeons?

Last edited:

Malkav

French Madman
I'm having a real hard time with this analogy lol. I have no idea what is what here.

So I did the Gaius raid or whatever. Will following the MSQ now lead me to a bunch of new level 50+ dungeons naturally? Or do I have to go out and find those specific quests that unlock the dungeons. Cos in the past I've seen quite a few that could easily be missed and not unlocked. Just wanna unlock new dungeons asap. edit: I think these dozen or so blue quests I just got in revenant's toll are probably dungeons?

Yeah the 2.1/2.55 MSQ unlocks a variety of dungeons and trials. I'd also suggest doing any quest with a blue quest marker with a + that recently popped up, a lot of lvl50 dungeons are not mandatory and are unlocked this way.

Edit : there is also the 24 men raid chain that starts in Mor Dhona and will make you go through 3 of these raids (MSQ will require you to do it before the end of 2.5, so might as well do it early).

Chris

Potato del Grande

Mix of MSQ and unlock quests popping up in the Scion base in Revenant's Toll. When it says it's the (hard) version of a dungeon, it's actually all new bosses and enemies.

Cybsled

Unlocking those also increases the chances you'll get a higher level dungeon vs. the lower level ones if you do leveling roulettes. Also, after you beat Tara Tam Deepcroft Hard and wrap up the quest that unlocked that dungeon by talking to the Lalafel, do not skip the cutscene. It's probably the creepiest thing they've ever done in the game lol

Malkav

French Madman
Unlocking those also increases the chances you'll get a higher level dungeon vs. the lower level ones if you do leveling roulettes.

Lvl 50 dungeons are added to the lvl50/60/70 roulette though, not the leveling one. No new leveling roulette dungeon until Dusk Vigil at the start of HW.

Cybsled

They’re mostly optional (some are tied to later shit I think), but it’s still worth unlocking at some point

Goonsquad Officer
I just unlock them and sit on the "finish this" quest. Get completion if roulette deals it to me, or later with blue mage.