Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Warrior has a dps buff called storms eye that is built by 3 single target attacks. Once you get the first stack, you can aoe and from there on it builds stacks with aoe until it falls off. It puts them behind on the first pack but with a steady group they can keep it up easily and just that one buff will dwarf the damage a warrior would do without it for the entire dungeon.

Now if they’re just doing one round of AOE and then switch to single target entirely, they’re dumb af. Hell, AoE with Nascent Flash on two packs of mobs is a full health bar refill and that should prove the point to anyone that aoe does more damage.

Malkav

French Madman
Warrior has a dps buff called storms eye that is built by 3 single target attack. Once you get the first stack, you can aoe and from there on it builds stacks with aoe until it falls off. It’s puts them behind on the first pack but with a steady group they can keep it up easily and just that one buff will dwarf the damage a warrior would do without it for the entire dungeon.

Now if they’re just doing one round of AOE and then switch to single target entirely, they’re dumb af. Hell, AoE with Nascent Flash on two packs of mobs is a full health bar refill and that should prove the point to anyone that aoe does more damage.

Then again applying Storm's Eye has diminishing return depending on the number of targets in AOE situation, even more so as long as you don''t have the second part of the AOE combo that refreshes it.

But yeah, the number of tanks I see hitting one AOE and then switching to single target rotation is mind boggling.

Been better in my last few runs (Quarn and Cutter's) though.

Rali

Trakanon Raider
So, I've played ARR a couple of times previously, once when it first came out got a PAL to 50. Second time, was when I was supposed to be playing with friends, on a different server, as a tank, so I went through ARR, again, as a PAL and got to 50, before afore mentioned friends stopped playing. So I have 2 chars on 2 servers, both 50 PAL's....

I'm wanting to play again, but am trying to decide whether to use the old account, or create a completely new one, for the free trial to 60. The question is, can I be bothered to level to 50 for a third time, and which class(es) this time?

Cybsled

I can't find the company finder? There's a free company button under social, but it is greyed out?

Community finder maybe? The FC button is usually how you access the FC stuff related to the one you joined.

Alternatively, you could literally shout out in a city zone and someone would probably toss you an invite if you werent picky lol

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Made a red mage last night. I see what you guys where saying. I like the mix of melee and range.

I've made no progress on the msq since I've been trying different classes. I'm going to try the healers then tanks next. I'll probably get them to where I can alternate them on the random daily roulettes, since that's really all I have time for during the week.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you dont have much time, do the MSQ to slug through it, you can do it while swapping classes

Daidraco

So, I've played ARR a couple of times previously, once when it first came out got a PAL to 50. Second time, was when I was supposed to be playing with friends, on a different server, as a tank, so I went through ARR, again, as a PAL and got to 50, before afore mentioned friends stopped playing. So I have 2 chars on 2 servers, both 50 PAL's....

I'm wanting to play again, but am trying to decide whether to use the old account, or create a completely new one, for the free trial to 60. The question is, can I be bothered to level to 50 for a third time, and which class(es) this time?
Ive got two characters that have been taken through the MSQ. I would rather stab myself in the eye than do it a third time, simply because of ARR. Watch a recap on the story if you feel you need to? But just pick whichever one has the most progress in conjunction with the one thats on a high pop server. You'll always want to have a tank job available to you, so sticking with it is the right thing to do. The content of HW is no where near as long and sloggish as ARR, so the trial isnt going to save you a massive amount of time. Even worse, starting the trial on a new character and replaying the subjectively worst content in the game for a third might compel you to quit again.
TL;DR - pick a paladin and get to the good part of the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you dont have much time, do the MSQ to slug through it, you can do it while swapping classes
I'm almost to the end of the msq in heavensward, so I'm a ways in. I just only ever played my BLM so it's way over leveled. Once I get a few classes I like near 58-60, I'll carry on with the msq.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Made a red mage last night. I see what you guys where saying. I like the mix of melee and range.

I've made no progress on the msq since I've been trying different classes. I'm going to try the healers then tanks next. I'll probably get them to where I can alternate them on the random daily roulettes, since that's really all I have time for during the week.
Yeah I've been reading people rhapsodising about red mage and I wanna go try it out. It sounds like a really innovative class. I haven't felt there has been a truly innovative class since Rift.

Why Paladin? That's my main class, but I just picked it sort of randomly, knowing it was a tank.

Rali

Trakanon Raider
Ive got two characters that have been taken through the MSQ. I would rather stab myself in the eye than do it a third time, simply because of ARR. Watch a recap on the story if you feel you need to? But just pick whichever one has the most progress in conjunction with the one thats on a high pop server. You'll always want to have a tank job available to you, so sticking with it is the right thing to do. The content of HW is no where near as long and sloggish as ARR, so the trial isnt going to save you a massive amount of time. Even worse, starting the trial on a new character and replaying the subjectively worst content in the game for a third might compel you to quit again.
Thanks, will stick with one of my PAL's then. Now, to work out how to remove the one time authentication from my account, since I've replaced my phone since I last played, and can't find a record of my Emergency Removal password >.<

Edit: submitted form for removal of 2FA.

Malkav

French Madman
"Mix of melee and range" is a bit overstating it. You have one melee phase consisting of a 3 hit combo everytime you're done building black/white mana and it's not flexible at all. Most of the time you'll be casting. At least the casting rotation is not too rigid since it's proc based.

Daidraco

Yeah I've been reading people rhapsodising about red mage and I wanna go try it out. It sounds like a really innovative class. I haven't felt there has been a truly innovative class since Rift.

Why Paladin? That's my main class, but I just picked it sort of randomly, knowing it was a tank.
Because both of his characters are Paladins. But if you want a further answer, its one of, if not the best tank in the game currently and Warrior within reach.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Tried playing an Archer and it is miserable with how short mob chains are in this game. Why even give Archers a snare if they can't kite more than 5 feet without the mob going invulnerable and going back to spawn? I mean I guess for dungeons, but still, it's super lame,I really hate how this is just the standard for MMOs now, to protect people that suck from dying. They want you to be able to run from any fight no problem.

I really hope Ashes of Creation doesn't have this. It doesn't need to be like Everquest where mobs almost never lose agro, but my god, why must the chains be so short?

Last edited:

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Tried playing an Archer and it is miserable with how short mob chains are in this game. Why even give Archers a snare if they can't kite more than 5 feet without the mob going invulnerable and going back to spawn? I mean I guess for dungeons, but still, it's super lame,I really hate how this is just the standard for MMOs now, to protect people that suck from dying. They want you to be able to run from any fight no problem.

I really hope Ashes of Creation doesn't have this. It doesn't need to be like Everquest where mobs almost never lose agro, but my god, why must the chains be so short?
Here is a tip for archer. Don't kite, shoot in face, collect exp.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Macros are terrible. No queuing and wonky as fuck. Good god please don't macro your combos.

Also, that GNB combo is 2 skills, and one AOE finisher.

And you should only be using your AOE OGCD (Bow Shock) in your No Mercy window.
The 3 skill combo isn't macroed for that reason. Bow Shock is macroed with the aoe damage debuff, so I just mash it to get both off.

I'm going to forget to use cooldown stuff like that if I don't macro them, don't care that I'm losing half a GCD or whatever, I got mechanics to watch out for.

I also have every defensive damage reducing cooldown on the same macro (not Bolide lol).

• 2Picard
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 2 users