Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, as much as I liked SB I hated the fact you couldn't fly in a zone until you'd pretty much finished all the MSQ, and then some, for the zone.
I don't know why the fuck this is the trend now. Thanks Blizzard. You don't get flying until you don't need it anymore, sigh.

At least it's still useful leveling other jobs, but damn, flying made finishing ARR MSQ so much more bearable, and while I'm enjoying Heavensward way more, some of this geography is aids and flying would make it actually fun.

Edit: not to mention, this game has the worst map ever created for an MMO, which makes not having flying and trying to navigate a suicide inducing endeavour.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Going from finally being able to fly to not being able to fly truly sucks massive dick. I really don't understand what is so op about flying. It just makes the game way more fun. Unless I can climb walls ala breath of the wild, fuck that. If you give me botw climbing, sure, I can live with it, particularly if you give me a decent sprint, but ugh, without it?

Are you playing on a double exp server? You'll probably wanna pick up another main class or two. You have a long ass time before you can unlock Machinist/Astrologian and unfortunately they both start at level 30 even though by the time you get them you'll be 50+++.

Imo, avoid side quests for the sake of your sanity. ARR is basically one giant side quest itself.
It says "EXP is higher until level 70" I assumed this was for all servers?

Malkav

French Madman
I don't know why the fuck this is the trend now. Thanks Blizzard. You don't get flying until you don't need it anymore, sigh.

At least it's still useful leveling other jobs, but damn, flying made finishing ARR MSQ so much more bearable, and while I'm enjoying Heavensward way more, some of this geography is aids and flying would make it actually fun.

Edit: not to mention, this game has the worst map ever created for an MMO, which makes not having flying and trying to navigate a suicide inducing endeavour.

XIV always did it like this. Flying in the old ARR zones was only added in 5.3, couldn't fly there until recently. Flying in expansions has always been locked behind Aether currents and quest completion for the zone. But at least, you can fly there as soon as you are done with the zone. It's nothing like Blizzard telling you to wait for 2 whole patches before unlocking flying.

I mean, it's not even a grind, just remember to click on your compass regularly while questing and you are done.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I’m 33 now but I think I’m just going to boost. I doubt I’ll be able to grit this shit out otherwise. They _really_ need to adjust character advancement. There are 80 million skills but it’s mostly backloaded when it should be front loaded.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
I’m 33 now but I think I’m just going to boost. I doubt I’ll be able to grit this shit out otherwise. They _really_ need to adjust character advancement. There are 80 million skills but it’s mostly backloaded when it should be front loaded.

It's kinda been an issue, they've been trying to keep the same numbers of buttons for jobs from expansions to expansions (some jobs being already bloated enough), and it's mainly the below 50 levels that suffered from the pruning.

Though boosting won't change shit when you're running dungeons and stuff synced down anyway.

Juvarisx

Florida
Hahaha I just got blasted into another galaxy by a FF8 Guardian Force, this game is fucking wonderful

• 1Like

Cybsled

In Stormblood, they did a major ability prune across the board and removed a lot of lower level skills. That is why in part the lower levels can feel like there are gaps in skill acquisition.

They also trimmed some stuff for ShB

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
SB did the role abilities revamp where previously you had to select which ones you had and which you didn't. Some were basically useless others were situation but they equalized them for roles and then made differences be class based.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
It says "EXP is higher until level 70" I assumed this was for all servers?
I don't think so? Altho maybe that is separate to the double exp some servers get? Servers with stars have a bonus till 70 too.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
I guess I wasn't ready for the new speed-run style on old content, people absolutely flying ahead. Trying to remember the best way to heal, turned into a shit-fest.

Cybsled

As a healer, I usually gave people a disclaimer of “I barely know how to heal and am still learning, keep that in mind”. Usually letting a DPS die gets the point across lol

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea my first dozen or so duty finder dungeons were brutal. I was watching cutscenes and strolling along and the rest of the group is already up at the next boss AEing the entirety of the trash at once lol. Was really hard to keep up initially

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Yea my first dozen or so duty finder dungeons were brutal. I was watching cutscenes and strolling along and the rest of the group is already up at the next boss AEing the entirety of the trash at once lol. Was really hard to keep up initially
I just said fuck it. I don't skip the intros or anything. If they engage the boss, that's on them. They can clearly see that I am VIEWING CUTSCENE. I've seen a few deaths, but usually I can recover us and it isn't a full wipe, so in a sense, i get why people keep doing it. I did have one dungeon with tons of tunnels that curve around and the tank didn't understand that it was impossible for me to keep him healed in such a manner when he is trying to gather 15 packs.

I do love how you can just teleport into the boss arena at any time.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Healer is the most difficult role, Tanking is very easy in this game, at least on duty finder.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Some character I ran into during duty roulette named theirs "Viewing Cutescene".
Lol I've seen that. That's the only one I found funny. I hate the rest of them. People in this game LOVE naming themselves common phrases and adjective + nouns. I find it really stupid. "Deadly Poison" or "Entering Instance" "Ruby Dagger" "Crystal Tower". It seems so childish to me. Then again, I had a Bard named Surround Sound once in Everquest, but it got changed by a GM because apparently Surround Sound is trademarked. I was 13 though. What excuse do all these weirdos have? Also, this game is way more heavily RP focused, why would you name your character Entering Instance? Every time an NPC talks to you they are going to refer to you as "Entering". I dunno, maybe I'm being silly and I shouldn't get annoyed, but it still brings a sigh each time I see a dumb name.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Hmm, I’ve always found healer to be the easiest of the three roles. Maybe that’s because my primary dps role is BLM and that one can be pretty stressful. I usually feel pretty comfortable healing though.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Healer is the most difficult role, Tanking is very easy in this game, at least on duty finder.
Healers definitely don't get enough credit in this game. I had a tank that was really awful and refused to clear stacks of poison by eating those berries or whatever in that one dungeon. So I had to blast them with everything and it was rough. They then bragged about how they got up to 7 stacks and how we are in good hands because they took the 7 stacks and stayed alive. No mention of me, the healer, whatsoever. It's as if they think they really managed their defensives for that entire fight.

Other times I do some amazing shit and save groups from dumb wipes, or I do a few insta res's when people fuck up, and then we finish and I don't get a commendation and I get a tiny bit salty. I always make sure to commend the healer if they save people from their own mistakes.

I do find healing easy in a way though. I feel like I can just spam aoe heals and damage. I'm used to tanking where you have to pay complete attention, but at least with healing you can just follow people and watch healthbars. Still, a good healer makes a huge difference, particularly when they are doing a lot of damage on top. and in some dungeons, at least as scholar, you can just spam damage and only heal via aether.

Hmm, I’ve always found healer to be the easiest of the three roles. Maybe that’s because my primary dps role is BLM and that one can be pretty stressful. I usually feel pretty comfortable healing though.
Maybe it's because I'm still a lowbie, but yeah I find not having to deal with the 3 combo rotations timed alongside damage cooldowns and not having to pay much attention to anything but healthbars relaxing as well. I'd certainly rather heal than tank atm.

Malkav

French Madman
Lol I've seen that. That's the only one I found funny. I hate the rest of them. People in this game LOVE naming themselves common phrases and adjective + nouns. I find it really stupid. "Deadly Poison" or "Entering Instance" "Ruby Dagger" "Crystal Tower". It seems so childish to me. Then again, I had a Bard named Surround Sound once in Everquest, but it got changed by a GM because apparently Surround Sound is trademarked. I was 13 though. What excuse do all these weirdos have? Also, this game is way more heavily RP focused, why would you name your character Entering Instance? Every time an NPC talks to you they are going to refer to you as "Entering". I dunno, maybe I'm being silly and I shouldn't get annoyed, but it still brings a sigh each time I see a dumb name.

If they are Roegadyns and it's not something incredibly 4th wall breaking, the adjective noun names are actually lore accurate.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users