Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
That's why everyone hate plot nitpickers at parties.

It's not an issue with the game if the story is not to your taste while the vast majority enjoy it.
Also I'm beginning to think "the vast majority enjoy it" is a complete myth. Wasn't there some streamer that was chased off of FF14 and ruthlessly attacked because they didn't enjoy the story? This community does not accept differing opinions. Also, we're not at a party. We're on a boomer MMORPG discussion board where people discuss video games. I think the FF14 community is extremely fragile and insecure and cannot handle criticism. They get extremely defensive and lose their minds over it. So just like how people are afraid to tell people how to do better in dungeons/raids, nobody talks about the story in a negative light. The consequences are too great.

I'm sorry, but so far this story is bad, really bad. There have been glimpses that were awesome. God damn the build up to The Keeper of the Lake and afterwards were *chef's kiss*. But the majority up toward the end of HW has been trash. And just because WoW's story is trash and most MMORPG's story is trash, I am not going to just magically praise any pile of faeces that is 2 shades of brown lighter.

Peace and love.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Goonsquad Officer
Yea, basically no one means that an mmo's good story is good as far as classical art, or great novels are great. I would say that movies are scarce that aproach good novels.

they mean that if you follow the story, read the lore, and invest in the world, the story develops in interesting ways.

If you don't invest, then it's just mmo quest flavor text town. at that point you just wanna box it up and push it in a corner.

One of the more unique aspects of FF14's storyline is that its vaugely final fantasy game level writing, with MMO as the story t elling engine (so few CGI cutscenes, mostly dialogue or camera tricks with mmo models. it's basically literally machinima for 90 percent of hte storytelling.), which are told over a long, long period of time. The characters, locations, creatures and lore are repeatedly updated and utilized over years and years, which is utterly foreign to Final fantasy games (which, inexplicably, seem to design fascinating worlds, then drop them in a dumpster when that game is over. ) So you get to be attached to characters in world. or cities or locations. it's kind of a unique situation amongst really any mmo, and amongst most rpgs.

Players who have played it for years have been slow burning it. they didn't quite get the impacted ass full of repeat plot eye-rolls because there were generally something like Expansion >6 months >between expansion stories >6 months >expansion. so it was kind of drip fed. and with the ARR smoothing they removed a number of side quests and dungeon requirements which sort of distracted from primal wack-a-mole. man they need to clean up ARR :(

I absolutely agree that there are a number of things that could have been done much better, or more well written with the same tools. in your example instead of simply tossing the mguffins, they should have made a scene where that was the logical choice. maybe villian almost grabs it then over the side it goes as a last ditch. definately could have been done better. it kind of reminds me of the end of game of thrones. i constantly saw scenes that they should have just...depicted diferently but arrived at the same plot-development and everyone would have hated it less.

I suspect that various crews are told to develop plot points. and the B team just creates the linking quests between the big ones the A team works on.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Asmon's stats from his first ever livestream of FF XIV:

1626280552216.png

• 4Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm trying to wrap up the ARR patches this weekend and move into the xpac, but this has gotten me wanting to revisit some older FF games to see if the story is about the same quality. My guess is yes.

I can still remember most of IV. VI is somewhat blurry to me as its been at least 10 years since I touched it. VII I never thought was the juggernaut people claimed, but it was definitely in the top 3-4. Never played VIII or X and above. I played IX and, while I loved the overall return to classical fantasy, I didn't find it that compelling. I played it for the first time a couple years back and I can barely remember the ending at all.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I'm trying to wrap up the ARR patches this weekend and move into the xpac, but this has gotten me wanting to revisit some older FF games to see if the story is about the same quality. My guess is yes.

I can still remember most of IV. VI is somewhat blurry to me as its been at least 10 years since I touched it. VII I never thought was the juggernaut people claimed, but it was definitely in the top 3-4. Never played VIII or X and above. I played IX and, while I loved the overall return to classical fantasy, I didn't find it that compelling. I played it for the first time a couple years back and I can barely remember the ending at all.

4, 9, and 10 are all gonna be big players in Endwalker.. They got the guy who designed the Anima fight in 10, too design the Anima fight for Endwalker.

Goonsquad Officer

I'm a fan of 6,7,8.

ff8 for PC, has a mod available (roses and wine) that HD's the enviroments and makes the music orchistrated. definately reccomended. (though you will get slapped with pixelated overland map characters walking toward cam and horrifying you). FF8 has a weirdly meta story once you get g oing. if you end up enjoying it you can surf some wild theories online about what specifically happened.

I also found 9 to be meh. 6 is my favorate. When i replay it i still think it's a great story, but the actual writing that takes place between characters is pretty minimalist. it was amazing in the era though!a complex story where bad things happen.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'm finding Shadowbringers to be at least as good as almost all of the mainline FF games - it's typical JRPG fare, not Shakespeare ffs. Definitely engaging though, and I'm pushing on to see where this goes.

• 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande

FF6-10 is the golden age of the series and it's storytelling. Make sure that you play all of those. FF10 is the best overall story, I cried at the end.

FF3-5 and FFTactics are still worth playing and a bunch of stuff from FF14 is from them (Crystal Tower, The Moon, Multiple Worlds, Ivalice Raids).

FF12, 13 and 15 all suffered production problems and have serious issues. Like the same production issues FF14 started with. Avoid them.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think when most people talk about the quality of ‘story’ in ffxiv they actually mean the voice acting , music, presentation, and not the actual plot elements. And jrpgs (and Japanese story telling in general) are about the feeling, not the sensibility, of what’s going on. When the antagonist’s plot line wraps up in 5.0, you really feel the weight of it and it’s very impactful, even tho many of the plot elements are silly/disconnected. If you generally don’t like jrpg storytelling, you’re probably not going to like shadowbringers

• 2Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finding myself raid logging in Wow Classic so gonna check this out... if I do the free trial, can I play/chat with you guys?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Finding myself raid logging in Wow Classic so gonna check this out... if I do the free trial, can I play/chat with you guys?
Yeah, we have a guild on Gilgamesh server but if you are on the Aether datacentre you can still message us or visit the server to group up (just no guild).

Asmongold is on Cactaur which is also Aether datacenter so you can visit him too!

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
FF6-10 is the golden age of the series and it's storytelling. Make sure that you play all of those. FF10 is the best overall story, I cried at the end.

FF3-5 and FFTactics are still worth playing and a bunch of stuff from FF14 is from them (Crystal Tower, The Moon, Multiple Worlds, Ivalice Raids).

FF12, 13 and 15 all suffered production problems and have serious issues. Like the same production issues FF14 started with. Avoid them.
God I love FF10. I remember at the time it didn't have the best reception, but damn I loved it. Tried to name my Vah Shir Bard Kimahri when Luclin came out. The GM on Veeshan made me change it though lol.

This is still one of the best :

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
God I love FF10. I remember at the time it didn't have the best reception, but damn I loved it. Tried to name my Vah Shir Bard Kimahri when Luclin came out. The GM on Veeshan made me change it though lol.

This is still one of the best :

I loved the song just after that walking towards Zanarkand, I was so fucking hyped for the end of the game. Little did I know :)

They need more FF10 references in FF14. Amerout definitely drew on it and people are speculating that Endwalker is having a FF10 inspired area with the new city (not Sharlayan, the other one), and apparently Anima is the primal there??

• 1Like

Merrith

I think when most people talk about the quality of ‘story’ in ffxiv they actually mean the voice acting , music, presentation, and not the actual plot elements. And jrpgs (and Japanese story telling in general) are about the feeling, not the sensibility, of what’s going on. When the antagonist’s plot line wraps up in 5.0, you really feel the weight of it and it’s very impactful, even tho many of the plot elements are silly/disconnected. If you generally don’t like jrpg storytelling, you’re probably not going to like shadowbringers

This is definitely the best way I've seen it put. A lot of people rave about 5.3 MSQ and how it ends, which I get, to a degree...but I still argue the climax of 5.0 is the high point, for the very reason you point out. That is still present in 5.1-5.3, but not to the same degree for me. 5.0 made me think a lot near the end.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I loved the song just after that walking towards Zanarkand, I was so fucking hyped for the end of the game. Little did I know :)

They need more FF10 references in FF14. Amerout definitely drew on it and people are speculating that Endwalker is having a FF10 inspired area with the new city (not Sharlayan, the other one), and apparently Anima is the primal there??

That entire sequence coming out of Gagazet and fighting the guardian against that gorgeous sunset, into story time next to the water, then A Fleeting Dream kicks in uninterrupted during the battles against that twilight sky...has to be one of my favorite moments in gaming if not my #1. FFX was my first FF game, so I guess I have a lot of bias for it, but I love the shit out of that damn game, goofy VAing and all. I was in Japan as it was getting released there and FFX shit was fucking everywhere. Every damn train ride, every little TV in AM/PMs playing cutscenes, billboards all over the place in the cities. I was so blown away and begged my parents so hard to get a PS2 so I could play it when it came to the US.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
That entire sequence coming out of Gagazet and fighting the guardian against that gorgeous sunset, into story time next to the water, then A Fleeting Dream kicks in uninterrupted during the battles against that twilight sky...has to be one of my favorite moments in gaming if not my #1. FFX was my first FF game, so I guess I have a lot of bias for it, but I love the shit out of that damn game, goofy VAing and all. I was in Japan as it was getting released there and FFX shit was fucking everywhere. Every damn train ride, every little TV in AM/PMs playing cutscenes, billboards all over the place in the cities. I was so blown away and begged my parents so hard to get a PS2 so I could play it when it came to the US.
My first was 7 and I played 8, 9 and 6 as they were released in Europe (that was the release order, we never got them on Nintendo!).

So yeah 7 is something really special to me, but I still prefer 10.

Merrith

They always say most people's first FF is their favorite. Unless you're old like me and played FF1 on the NES. But all the good ones like 7, 6, 10, Tactics, 9/4/12 all hit well.

Araxen

I love FFX and X-2. They are the last of the turn-based games sadly. I never got around to playing 8 or 9 due to Everquest, but FF VI will always be my all-time favorite. FF IV is a great game as well.