Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member

So lemme get this straight...

This guy boosted a character he didn't know how to play, blamed his community for telling him to do so (which was actually gaslighting, because they voted 70% he should just quit), and then said the game was too easy while being carried by his party members (a fucking PLD did more than his dragoon?)

I thought I was a narcissist. Apparently there's like 10 raid tiers in 3 expansions of narcissism I have yet to clear.

I don't care if he did or didn't enjoy the game, honestly. He can choose what he wants to play. But that's some bullshit you should never pull, gaming or not.

Cybsled

It's like Asmon said: If you boost/skip and then give your opinion on the game, no one will take you seriously / will think your opinion is worthless trash

Side note: Asmon is on final turn of Bahamut raid in his stream right now

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I played this for a few hours yesterday based upon all of the talk about the Great Migration. I had skipped this after the disaster launch of 1.0 and general avoidance of Asian MMOs. I actually had an excellent time playing up to 17 on a Gladiator and then switched over and played up to a 7 on a Lancer just for giggles to try out the class/job switching. Game was trying to kill one of the fans on my 2080ti for some reason which would be a disaster right now.

Seems like another great example of how you can make a game good by hiring people that love games, don't have a political agenda, and listen to their customers. Japanese cultural integrity FTW.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Goonsquad Officer
It's like Asmon said: If you boost/skip and then give your opinion on the game, no one will take you seriously / will think your opinion is worthless trash

Side note: Asmon is on final turn of Bahamut raid in his stream right now
the phoenix kill went surprisingly smooth. he was completely blown away by the story cutscene with *spoiler spoiler* going on.

he's getting so close to winning the final turn.

Goonsquad Officer
I played this for a few hours yesterday based upon all of the talk about the Great Migration. I had skipped this after the disaster launch of 1.0 and general avoidance of Asian MMOs. I actually had an excellent time playing up to 17 on a Gladiator and then switched over and played up to a 7 on a Lancer just for giggles to try out the class/job switching. Game was trying to kill one of the fans on my 2080ti for some reason which would be a disaster right now.

Seems like another great example of how you can make a game good by hiring people that love games, don't have a political agenda, and listen to their customers. Japanese cultural integrity FTW.
i rambled a bit some pages ago, but the clearest example of what FF14 does right is that every ounce of fan service they can put in the game they do. if you want a sexy woman, silly costume, awesome armor. silly mount, badass mount, you love a character in their story, you love a game element. they just feed on that and do it more. there's a little something for most gamers' taste in the game. they don't try to cram down their narrow view of the game (fan disservice) on the players like what most modern mmo and/or video and/or media companies do.

asmond constantly hits moments where he stops at a bunny girl half naked, or an npc calling some one a piss drunk whore and simply says "imagine this in a blizard game? never".

and they haven't trashcanned any of their content which some times is annoying (ARR length), but it all perpetuates where story elements pop up over years of content and reward FANS. they haven't had an expansion yet where they try to reinvent the game to suit some poll's opinion on what gamers want. or what left handed lesbians want.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
So apparently you can't start the game as a rogue. I love how the stupid fucking wiki doesn't mention this fact and I have to dig around google as to why I couldn't choose rogue. Thought it was locked behind some expansion or something. That shit is retarded, idk why the fuck they thought this would be a good idea.

• 2Moron
  • 1Salty
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 4 users

Malkav

French Madman
Rogue was added in a later patch before the first expansion, they just didn't bother adding a starter experience for them.

Goonsquad Officer
So apparently you can't start the game as a rogue. I love how the stupid fucking wiki doesn't mention this fact and I have to dig around google as to why I couldn't choose rogue. Thought it was locked behind some expansion or something. That shit is retarded, idk why the fuck they thought this would be a good idea.
does it open at 10? when you can choose any of the other ARR classes?

yea it's kind of goofy. they wern't in at launch. they were added between ARR and HW. they should really add some more jobs to 'starting options' i know some unlock with expansions but some could clearly be "fuck it" since they unlock in arr content.

Chris

Potato del Grande
and they haven't trashcanned any of their content which some times is annoying (ARR length), but it all perpetuates where story elements pop up over years of content and reward FANS. they haven't had an expansion yet where they try to reinvent the game to suit some poll's opinion on what gamers want. or what left handed lesbians want.
I wonder if a lot of Warcract lore incoherence and putting shit in novels is because today's new players (and new devs) wouldn't have played Warcraft 3 so they don't know that Illidan and Malfurion are brothers, or Sylvanas and Kel'thusad are mortal enemies... so why make it harder to follow the story by referencing stuff like that?

That's how you get an entire expansion in the afterlife with hardly any dead characters in it.

Meanwhile FF14 makes new players do a formerly endgame raid to introduce a character and plot device important in 3 expansions time.

Goonsquad Officer
Meanwhile FF14 makes new players do a formerly endgame raid to introduce a character and plot device important in 3 expansions time.
Yea looking back over things on streamers, i can see where they operate under a methodology where they sneak in elements for future usage constantly.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider

That's the 1st website that pops up for me but ya I eventually found the correct info for it. Had me mind fucked for a bit thinking it was only certain races or locked behind an expansion or something.

Also I should ask, by becoming a rogue do you basically have to become a ninja?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
That's the 1st website that pops up for me but ya I eventually found the correct info for it.
Just ask here. The FFXIV community isn't known to make fun of sprouts. We play some pranks on them (like that one trial), but usually it's all in good jest.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Also I should ask, by becoming a rogue do you basically have to become a ninja?
Yes, all the base classes upgrade to something.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
i rambled a bit some pages ago, but the clearest example of what FF14 does right is that every ounce of fan service they can put in the game they do. if you want a sexy woman, silly costume, awesome armor. silly mount, badass mount, you love a character in their story, you love a game element. they just feed on that and do it more. there's a little something for most gamers' taste in the game. they don't try to cram down their narrow view of the game (fan disservice) on the players like what most modern mmo and/or video and/or media companies do.

asmond constantly hits moments where he stops at a bunny girl half naked, or an npc calling some one a piss drunk whore and simply says "imagine this in a blizard game? never".

So because I was super curious as to how this would play out and worried one of my fans was now failing on my 2080Ti, I bought FF14 on the PS5 and synced my SQEnix account up and was able to pick right up where I had logged off on the PC. I played for a few levels but never really got the hang of the controller (I really want the pad push to be left click and hadn't spent enough time to customize it properly, if that is even something you should do) and then went back to PC and made some tweaks so I wasn't fully maxing out the game visually and it seemed like everything was OK. Amazing though that you can switch back and forth between the console version and the PC version without missing a beat. As I was reading, lots of people seemed to prefer the controller as a control scheme, enabled by the longer GCD. It certainly seemed possible, although there were so many familiar conveniences to m/KB I missed. It would just take time and practice. Should I continue to have fan problems, though, in the current climate I will be a full time console player. ;)

To your point, you couldn't be more correct. This just feels like another industry where the companies are responding to an ultra-vocal super-minority that are aggressively pursuing an agenda that involves an internal component (hiring/from within the company) and an external component (PR/social media). Things that are culturally prominent are particular targets, like comic books, many other game companies, the NFL, Marvel, etc. You add to that the long track record of WOW's dominance and Blizzard's reputation of quality. Things are always true until they aren't: France was once the most feared military in Europe until they were embarrassed by Prussia, Britain was the world's dominant super power for centuries, and Blizzard made fantastic games without peer and WoW was the biggest best MMO for 15+ years until it's about to not be.

Most of the people working there now have probably weren't been able to vote when WoW wasn't the biggest MMO on the planet. They haven't known a world where people won't default back to WOW after a while. That has underpinned many of their decisions for at least the last 5 years, it seems from the outside of the WoW community, from someone who's highest WoW character is 60 IIRC. The reign of every king ends.

Last edited:

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I had no idea rogue was 2.4; my brain wants me to believe it was available day one. That was probably arcanist.

Goonsquad Officer
I had no idea rogue was 2.4; my brain wants me to believe it was available day one. That was probably arcanist.
i think thancred 'was a rogue' early on, then the class got revealed. they have him sort of sneak around in the stories before they got added.

Chris

Potato del Grande
i think thancred 'was a rogue' early on, then the class got revealed. they have him sort of sneak around in the stories before they got added.
I rememeber the patch when Rogue/Ninja was added, you do a quest with Yotsuyu in Limsa to introduce it?

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well this is a new high for me on Gilg:

1626651663353.png