Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For retainers, I set my first 2 to miner and botanist and bought a 3rd retainer and set it to fisher, but I've seen people say to set a combat retainer as well? Does fisher not do much for a retainer? What do the combat retainers give you?

Skins for leather, and as others noted random mob drops. Retainers have breakpoints for their gear as well, combat will only be able to bring back a max of 10 items, while miner/botanist can bring back up to 30 of most items. Can also reduce the time a venture takes. Combat retainer gear is measured purely on ilevel, so whatever extra gear you have of the highest ilevel (stats don't matter). Miner/Botanist ones go off gathering stats for number of items brought back, and I think perception can raise the amount of HQ you will bring back.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Do openworld and/or complex maze like dungeons exist in this game at all? It's honestly sad that this is the state of MMO's these days. It legit feels like season 8 GoT. Everything is just so rushed and shoved in your face. Other than some fates and the story quest dungeons I've had zero interactions with another person whatsoever and am level 27 with my rogue now.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
So what you're saying is you don't see a lot of other players when you're doing 6 year old content?

I'm seeing a lot of players but there's zero reason to interact with anyone whatsoever. The game feels like a single player game 1st and an MMO 2nd. It's a decent game but man it is almost unbearably hand holdy and the maps are the worst I've ever seen.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Do openworld and/or complex maze like dungeons exist in this game at all? It's honestly sad that this is the state of MMO's these days. It legit feels like season 8 GoT. Everything is just so rushed and shoved in your face. Other than some fates and the story quest dungeons I've had zero interactions with another person whatsoever and am level 27 with my rogue now.

• 1Like

Merrith

I'm seeing a lot of players but there's zero reason to interact with anyone whatsoever. The game feels like a single player game 1st and an MMO 2nd. It's a decent game but man it is almost unbearably hand holdy and the maps are the worst I've ever seen.

And if you'd watched any videos of people describing the game, they'd note that it's an FF game first, and MMO 2nd.

• 1Like

nu_11

Hey retard, this game was released 7 years ago. Everyone wanting to be part of a community has probably already established their circle of friends and/or groups they hang out with.

How about you put in some actual effort into making some friends instead of expecting the game to give you some.

Jesus you bitch about everything. “Questing is too easy.” “Making friends is too hard.”

• 1Like

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Hey retard, this game was released 7 years ago. Everyone wanting to be part of a community has probably already established their circle of friends and/or groups they hang out with.

How about you put in some actual effort into making some friends instead of expecting the game to give you some.

Jesus you bitch about everything. “Questing is too easy.” “Making friends is too hard.”

Hey retard, it's not my fault the game is poorly designed and wants you quick porting around the world to read some stupid ass dialogue that nobody gives a shit about rather than putting you into situations where you might actually have to interact with people.

• 4Moron
Reactions: 3 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Hey retard, it's not my fault the game is poorly designed and wants you quick porting around the world to read some stupid ass dialogue that nobody gives a shit about rather than putting you into situations where you might actually have to interact with people.

Dont play it then dumbass.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
And if you'd watched any videos of people describing the game, they'd note that it's an FF game first, and MMO 2nd.
Ya I get it. It just tries a bit too hard at it imo. There isn't a single memorable place or experience so far for me in 27 levels.

• 1Moron

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
The begining of the game is indeed a solo game. It will be solo for all the story. My advice would be to join a FC, and meet people there (change FC if needed). But until you catch up on shadowbringers and start to do things like Eden Savage, you can go solo. Just more fun if you do roulettes and dungeons with friends. I know that when i started i was too surprised to be this alone, until i found a good FC.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
So instead of going to Gilgamesh I went to play with some family on another server. Joined their FC and it's cool or whatever. It's a small RP guild.

Then my family tells me, "yeah there's erotic roleplay too but that's totally optional. We have tavern nights on Thursdays at the house."

Ohno.jpg.

So my wife and I have to see this, (Wife already joined another FC, she didn't like this one for other reasons). I hop on discord and they're all coordinating for guests: a bartender, tarot card reader, a bard, gambling, 3 prostitutes hanging by the door. Etc. I go to the house, switch to Dragoon, and just walk around like security while my wife and I are eavesdropping on discord. One person came in and gambled away a bunch of gil, and 2 others went to the back room, each with a whore. When I heard they charge 250k for 30 minutes, I told my wife she needed to get a slutty dress and cybersex some lonely dudes. We're new to the game and have no money.

The downside is my wife was angry with me. The upside is she didn't talk to me the rest of the night and I got some quests done.

Last thing I learned is that this is where the women hang out in MMO's I guess. 6 out of 9 on discord were women. The FC is over half women. They spend most of their time buying furniture and transmog gear each week for this stuff.

• 5Worf
  • 2Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Merrith

Ya I get it. It just tries a bit too hard at it imo. There isn't a single memorable place or experience so far for me in 27 levels.

Out of curiosity, which starting city did you have? I've honestly only done Gridania with my character, so not sure how memorable the other 2 would seem. I loved started in Grid, though.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So instead of going to Gilgamesh I went to play with some family on another server. Joined their FC and it's cool or whatever. It's a small RP guild.

Then my family tells me, "yeah there's erotic roleplay too but that's totally optional. We have tavern nights on Thursdays at the house."

Ohno.jpg.

So my wife and I have to see this, (Wife already joined another FC, she didn't like this one for other reasons). I hop on discord and they're all coordinating for guests: a bartender, tarot card reader, a bard, gambling, 3 prostitutes hanging by the door. Etc. I go to the house, switch to Dragoon, and just walk around like security while my wife and I are eavesdropping on discord. One person came in and gambled away a bunch of gil, and 2 others went to the back room, each with a whore. When I heard they charge 250k for 30 minutes, I told my wife she needed to get a slutty dress and cybersex some lonely dudes. We're new to the game and have no money.

The downside is my wife was angry with me. The upside is she didn't talk to me the rest of the night and I got some quests done.

Last thing I learned is that this is where the women hang out in MMO's I guess. 6 out of 9 on discord were women. The FC is over half women. They spend most of their time buying furniture and transmog gear each week for this stuff.

Let me know when your wife changes her mind. Ill give her a ride for 250k.

• 6Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 7 users

Goonsquad Officer
Weirdly the Eureka content seem to encourage old style random cooperation the most

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Ohno.jpg.

The last bit is definitely my experience too, LOTS of women in a lot of the FCs I've been in, some always talking about glamours, fantasia at least once a week(one in a FC I was last in was basically changing race every day, sometimes several times a day, gacha addiction to fantasia). A bunch were also into the whole "my character is a twink and is very gay" kind of stuff and they'd be like catbois and male roes semi ERPing.

It is somewhat interesting when you compare to many other mmos where it's just 15y old thirsty bois and shit, I mean there's plenty of these too but there's a surprisingly large adult and mixed population in XIV. That does mean you get a bunch of the weird female related drama shit though, because when the 15y old bois start simping for the 25y old woman on Discord it rarely ends well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users