Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Most responsive MMO devs ever. These guys are rockstars
Well PF ads have been a thing for like, 6+ years? So I wouldn't say it's very responsive. That said they also were a lot less intrusive than they are in wow, usually it's like 4-12 ads in the duty roulette section since it's the first one in the list, if you sort by high end duty or whatever you don't even see them, and even when you do see them it's really not that many. Quite a difference compared to wow where you have pages and pages of ads due to them hiring random fucks to advertise for them and people selling a lot more common stuff like mythic weekly dungeon runs and stuff, while the only real selling happening in FF is things like ultimate carries and due to logistics these aren't super popular(you have to let someone log on your account to clear the fight cause you can't really carry a dead player and they're pretty expensive due to the few sellers who kinda price fix instead of undercutting each other so there's not that many buyers).

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Well PF ads have been a thing for like, 6+ years? So I wouldn't say it's very responsive. That said they also were a lot less intrusive than they are in wow, usually it's like 4-12 ads in the duty roulette section since it's the first one in the list, if you sort by high end duty or whatever you don't even see them, and even when you do see them it's really not that many. Quite a difference compared to wow where you have pages and pages of ads due to them hiring random fucks to advertise for them and people selling a lot more common stuff like mythic weekly dungeon runs and stuff, while the only real selling happening in FF is things like ultimate carries and due to logistics these aren't super popular(you have to let someone log on your account to clear the fight cause you can't really carry a dead player and they're pretty expensive due to the few sellers who kinda price fix instead of undercutting each other so there's not that many buyers).
The fact they did ANYTHING to address the actual issue puts them light-years ahead of what WoW would do.... short of turning the party finder into a bowl of fruit.

Malkav

French Madman
Well, at least the Roulette section of PF will be empty of ads. Will be able to use it for its intended purpose.

I really think with the new rules (some of them are fucking hugbox carebear ridiculous) it'll be better to try and PF people for roulettes than subjecting yourself to DF.

I mean, look at that shit :
1635350058881.png

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Well, at least the Roulette section of PF will be empty of ads. Will be able to use it for its intended purpose.

I really think with the new rules (some of them are fucking hugbox carebear ridiculous) it'll be better to try and PF people for roulettes than subjecting yourself to DF.

I mean, look at that shit :
View attachment 379178

That actually makes sense though and people should already know how to ask simple fucking questions like, "I noticed you don't have your tank stance on, can you please put it on?"

If they don't actually do it, you shouldn't berate them for not knowing. You should tell them they should do it until they figure it out.
That shit is too commonplace in games like WoW, Warhammer, EQ, etc. Scares people away. EQ players are, ironically, less egregious of course, mostly because the game is piss easy these days.

There's only one flaw, and that's if experienced players express willful ignorance.

If an experienced player is purposefully not putting his tank stance on, the other players have no way of communicating that if he's willfully ignoring it without opening themselves to being reported. There needs to be an option for reporting willful ignorance displayed by experienced players, otherwise this will result in the ability to goad players into getting reported.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malkav

French Madman
With the way they worded things in the new rules, you can't even point at someone messing up mechanics in your raid Party Finder.

Mechanics are not opt-ins. It's either do them or wipe the group for some of them. We're not in the situation where saying "'I'd suggest you resolve this mechanic this way" is a valid thing. There is nothing to suggest, either the dude does it or you wipe. If you can't call out the mouthbreather wiping your party over and over, what the hell are you supposed to do?

All it's going to do is make serious PF make joining Discord mandatory. Or idiots will be silently kicked with no clue as to why (which they could probably report as an abusive kick lol).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
This ones kills me, regarding "incident/obscene expression" :

1635351555041.png

Better watch out of who you let in your FC.

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
With the way they worded things in the new rules, you can't even point at someone messing up mechanics in your raid Party Finder.
It explicitly says excessive. As long as you do something like, ""Hey, <player>, do you know the mechanics? I can teach you if you don't know them." and you only say it once, and they acknowledge it and fuck up again, you can do the same thing I did in EverQuest for years, and say "hey guys my goldfish is on fire, I'll be back in an hour" and find a new group.

It's not like Paludal Caverns where you can just go to the group chain pulling across the lake and be caught by that person... you'd probably never see that person again with how many play this game in comparsion to a small community based game like EQ.

Exceptions are endgame content, where people will normally drop without a word after a few wipes anyways, and you can't pin anything on them for doing so because they never explicitly showed intent to grief in text chat.

The less you say, the better. SquareEnix's $10/hr GM employee isn't going to care if they have to spend hours digging through your report and find nothing in chat.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Remember kids, just like in real life: it isn’t what you say, it’s how you say it

You can convey information without degenerating into “ur fking trash”, like New World chat typically is.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
For those who weren't around at the release of Shadowbringers all CS and GM departments got instructed to crack down very strictly in the preceding weeks through the first month of xpac launch. This update is simply spelling that out for Endwalker and letting you know the most PC examples of the behavior they are going to ban hammer even faster than before.

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
All I read from that is that they're concerned about the tone you present and less about the content of the message. It doesn't sound like they are going to bother you if you're speaking in a manner that is considered helpful or encouraging.

And, I could be naive, but I don't think that spite reporting is as big as it was on WOW. I've noticed that things that would annoy me on WOW or EQ just don't bother me when I'm playing FF14, probably because 99.8% of the people I encounter are friendly and helpful.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
All I read from that is that they're concerned about the tone you present and less about the content of the message. It doesn't sound like they are going to bother you if you're speaking in a manner that is considered helpful or encouraging.

And, I could be naive, but I don't think that spite reporting is as big as it was on WOW. I've noticed that things that would annoy me on WOW or EQ just don't bother me when I'm playing FF14, probably because 99.8% of the people I encounter are friendly and helpful.
And that is really the point. The FFXIV community has been unusually friendly and helpful as far as AAA MMOs go. And they know they are geting a huge influx of new players with the demise of Blizzard and the release of Endwalker. They are just trying to maintain the culture that has existed up until now.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ultimately it's not too much different than current, just better explained with detailed examples. I don't bother correcting anyone playing like an amoeba personally cause it's generally just a waste of time anyway. Telling a shitter they should try not to be a shitter is rarely going to get you anywhere, cause if they cared they'd already not be a shitter. If the situation is just too bad, I'll leave and eat the 30mins penalty. I'm just too old for the arguing shit, I have low expectations and as long as they're met I'm fine with it and if they're not I'm just out, don't need to figure out who truly is the suckiest player in the party.

If we wipe on a boss or something I'll usually provide a tip for the one big and/or confusing mechanic, but after that you either do it or you don't, I don't really care. They just don't want people hounding others with advices like you see sometimes with nosy motherfuckers trying to "teach" someone how to play even though they themselves are more than subpar anyway. Fuckers casting Cure I trying to tell a leveling Ninja sprout they missed their ninjutsus and shit, bitch just Stone/Glare and shut the fuck up.

Since I don't really interact much with people anyway personally doesn't really affect me but it kinda kills potential friendly banter and shit. I guess just stick to Discord for that.

Still banning PF ads and the stalking bits(and when you hear some of the stories that shit can be really bad, fucking mentally unstable asses just spending their entire day following girls because they left their FC or whatever) is overall positive, the rest is just more or less how it was. It's also very Japanese, be very polite in front of people and stuff, even if you hate them and talk shit behind their backs.

• 1Solidarity

Malkav

French Madman
Regarding stalking, they should really change some things in game on top of the rules.

Because right now, if you remove someone from your friend list, you are not removed from theirs. Even worse, if you are married to someone and divorce, it's pretty much one sided. The other person still keeps the ring that allows him to teleport to you. Talk about empowering creeps.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
It's also very Japanese, be very polite in front of people and stuff, even if you hate them and talk shit behind their backs.
I actually think this was actually written for Japanese audiences first, and was just translated in a way that English simply doesn't always reflect.
There's only so many ways to say a specific word in Japanese. English has amazing levels of sarcasm you can convey with tone and combinations of words.

Chris

Potato del Grande
SJWs never codify examples in behaviour policies because they want to selectively use it as a weapon while doing that behaviour themselves.

So it's good that they laid out actual examples.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users