Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I mean leveling all the jobs in between xpacs, the idea that you 'learn' the class with anything you do pre-50 is kind of a joke. The rotations are so basic and half baked, I think the only real downside would be the stress of unlocking the higher level job and being flooded with abilities with hard to decipher names. If you really want to 'learn the class' in that way, I would almost recommend boosting to 50 and then doing the 1-50 potd so you can experience the level by level unlock of abilities and flesh out your bars. It'll take a few hours vs 200 hours of running simulator.

ARR really is the biggest remaining filter for new players and seeing how Shadowbringers is some of the best RPG content I've done, I am mainly looking at ways to get people into that content and hooked. Like I said, the ARR story can be summarized in a youtube video and save you a ton of time. I'd rather someone who is finding it hard to log in buy a skip than to log out at 46 and never log in again.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah, I mean leveling all the jobs in between xpacs, the idea that you 'learn' the class with anything you do pre-50 is kind of a joke. The rotations are so basic and half baked, I think the only real downside would be the stress of unlocking the higher level job and being flooded with abilities with hard to decipher names. If you really want to 'learn the class' in that way, I would almost recommend boosting to 50 and then doing the 1-50 potd so you can experience the level by level unlock of abilities and flesh out your bars. It'll take a few hours vs 200 hours of running simulator.

ARR really is the biggest remaining filter for new players and seeing how Shadowbringers is some of the best RPG content I've done, I am mainly looking at ways to get people into that content and hooked. Like I said, the ARR story can be summarized in a youtube video and save you a ton of time. I'd rather someone who is finding it hard to log in buy a skip than to log out at 46 and never log in again.
People need to pace out the ARR MSQ and do other things like level multiple jobs or chocobo racing, doing just the ARR MSQ all at once is too many cutscenes.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Wow-brain leads people to think end-game is all that matters, so the story becomes something to be surmounted rather than enjoyed. Pretty much anyone I am converting at this point are wow refugees. I'm just thinkin what is the ideal way to avoid the kind of boring starting experience and give a 'better' more curated starting experience to increase retention.

Someone made a good example of Star Trek: TNG, where ARR is season 1. If I want someone to get hooked on TNG, I would 100% start them on season 2 or beyond and let them go back to revisit season 1 once they like the show.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kaines

Potato Supreme
People need to pace out the ARR MSQ and do other things like level multiple jobs or chocobo racing, doing just the ARR MSQ all at once is too many cutscenes.
I actually enjoyed powering through the MSQ. I even hit kind of a slow xp spot towards the end at around 48 where I wasn't high enough level to do the next MSQ and had to run a random dungeon to get the last bit of xp I needed to hit 49 and continue. From what I'm told, that's extremely rare to not horribly out level the quests all the way to 50.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I actually enjoyed powering through the MSQ. I even hit kind of a slow xp spot towards the end at around 48 where I wasn't high enough level to do the next MSQ and had to run a random dungeon to get the last bit of xp I needed to hit 49 and continue. From what I'm told, that's extremely rare to not horribly out level the quests all the way to 50.

I think a lot of people who severely outlevel the quests are also benefitting from the road to 70 buff's double experience without realizing it. I have known a lot of people completely oblivious to the buff, how to get it, or that they have it.

I am spoiled with the buff to the point where if I do make an alt for whatever reason, I won't do it unless I can get it the preferred buff to see how much I can get done before it fades. It's absurd how it stacks with all the other exp buffs too. The armory buff for a job that's lower level than your highest, rested exp, the +exp jewelry, food buffs and FC buffs. I've seen some kills say "+530% exp" or more sometimes. I can't remember the highest i've had, but I've definitely seen the 530 range.

• 2Faggotry
Reactions: 1 users

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Installed ACT for the first time in years to check my BLM damage. Old as I am it seems I hit the correct buttons and my dps in the 80 dungeons was me doing 34% of the dmg and the other dps 27%. Then I healed a lvl 70 trial and I saw that some people are really really bad at the game. The BLM in that party did like 3% dmg...

Maybe one should not use damage meters at all. :p

I did have an awesome group in Hells Lid though, we skipped the vanishing phase on the second boss, never had that happen before.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Keeper of the Lake is usually the retard moment for me, when they don't know to not stand in front of dragons.

Probably said this before but I asked my wife who isn't a gamer and even she knew to not stand in front of dragons.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah it's the usual online experience, some ppl just are terrible and are unwilling to improve and some think they're much better than they are.

Been trying to farm some accessoris in E9S farms and the last 4 parties I've been in yesterday/today haven't managed a single kill. That's "farm parties" with 520+ ilvl req and echo mind you. People just failling the basic mechanics left and right and a lot of people really underperforming. Even on the kills(been at it for a little while, got like 4kills done only though so far) you have DPS doing like 15-16k DPS in 520+ gear even though we did more in 510 gear at release without the 15% echo, healers doing like 3k DPS somehow and shit like that, it's really sad. But largely people fucking up the mechanics, it's annoying because DPS check is easy to beat even with the bad players but can't beat the boss if people are dead when the towers pop(and I guess in a good party you could kill before towers but yeah).

I'll still run some more because I only need a few more accessories to finish anyway and I have basically nothing else to do, finished relics on SCH/MNK, finished getting 1440fishes for the achievement rod, and found a good hunt discord so I can cap tomes in the first couple of days of the week, so after that all I have to do is like customs/mgp weekly shit and nothing else until EW launches. Cleaned up my bags, bought all the poetics gear, fixed my glamour plates, made hotbars in advance, everything pretty much ready to go.

Malkav

French Madman
Earlier today we had a sprout in our FC running Holminster with Trust (he was SMN)....he wiped like 10 times on the last boss apparently before some people decided to go with him to clear it. But, like, how? After 10 times you'd think he'd have the mechanics down (since with Trust if you die it's reset).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The trusts especially show you how most mechanics work, all you have to do is follow them. I guess he wasn't running around the boss during that one attack? But even someone with poor gaming skills should be able to just run around the boss(even if they're not attacking during that time) so yeah don't know. Maybe bad gear? Although the MSQ should provide a full set of scaevan once you do the last bit of stormblood iirc so that'd be weird too.

Malkav

French Madman
The trusts especially show you how most mechanics work, all you have to do is follow them. I guess he wasn't running around the boss during that one attack? But even someone with poor gaming skills should be able to just run around the boss(even if they're not attacking during that time) so yeah don't know. Maybe bad gear? Although the MSQ should provide a full set of scaevan once you do the last bit of stormblood iirc so that'd be weird too.

Yeah honestly I was at a loss reading the FC chat. I couldn't fathom how to fail this hard either.

Anyway, after all these years I finally fell into the gathering/crafting rabbit hole. Firmament made it easy enough with a guide and some macros. It's kinda mindless and chill. Got ALC to 63 from 0 in a day, as well as BTN to almost 50.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Leveled five classes to 50 doing the 2.0 MSQ. Weirdly enjoying Black Mage a lot despite normally hating casters. I guess it's probably just because it's more wow-y, builder spender proc management. Didn't feel like I had five extra buttons to get +2% damage like some of the melee.

Cybsled

If this wasn't going to undoubtedly be some ultra expensive statue, I would buy this in an instant lol

Not directly FF14 related, but you can see how much the FF6 magitek armor influenced the magitek armor in FF14 designwise

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played WHM for maybe 80-100 hours during the last years so I'm quite the beginner but I'm gonna play Endwalker with some friends. What's everyone's stance on Sage yet?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I played WHM for maybe 80-100 hours during the last years so I'm quite the beginner but I'm gonna play Endwalker with some friends. What's everyone's stance on Sage yet?
Well like every classes in XIV, it's going to be good enough regardless. They don't really fuck balance up so much that classes are straight worthless, usually, although x.0 patches can be a bit wild until the first round of adjustments(NIN was pretty trash in 5.0 and MNK was pretty broken and so was SMN but we're talking in XIV terms so they were like 15% off instead of 3% or whatever).

Personally I'd say Sage looks kinda meh? But not like bad really, just doesn't feel like very unique. You have to press 2 buttons to do your dot and shit, and you have a couple bigger nukes on a cds and such but the skills are pretty run of the mill stuff. You trade a bunch of the SCH quirkiness(and sometimes clunkiness) for more raw healing output if you stack several cooldowns it seems. You don't get as big shields as crit adlo spread but pretty close and you get a bit less mitigation skills, so overall SCH is a bit better at the job but not by much and requires more finnangling with the fairy placement and the antisynergistic skills.

Ultimately it feels like a class for people who enjoy the look of the class rather than a performance choice. You can't go wrong picking any healer tbh(unless you go for speedruns but that's obviously a skewed category) and Sage looks perfectly fine, just to me it doesn't look all that interesting after seeing their skills, feels like the WHM to AST for shield healers, with SCH/AST being more technical to play but being able to do more interesting things while SGE/WHM are the relatively easy press buttons to get big heals gameplay that is harder to go wrong. I will level it for sure, probably 2nd healer though as I'll play SCH first(and get SMN for free too in the process).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Just finished SCH to 80 after doing WHM/RDM relics, SCH definitely feels much more intensive at the end game with button pressing. Will take Sage to cap at some point, but I feel like I enjoy WHM the most