Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Pyros you may know this, in the live letter did they say they were reducing the exp from certain crafting leves? Or was it just adjusting the gil so that coffee biscuits or whatever weren't getting abused/being so OP for gil farming?

There's no more high quality items come Endwalker, so the triple bonus for turning in HQ items for leves is going away

Cybsled

That isn’t accurate. The only HQ going away is gathering. Crafting can still make HQ items. They plan to adjust the quality requirements on some crafting items to account for the loss of HQ materials boosting quality on combined crafts.

They are nerfing the triple handin, both xp and Gil. However, they are buffing the single handin leves in terms of reward

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
Pyros you may know this, in the live letter did they say they were reducing the exp from certain crafting leves? Or was it just adjusting the gil so that coffee biscuits or whatever weren't getting abused/being so OP for gil farming?

They are reducing the rewards, as in exp and gil, from tradecraft/fishing leves requiring a large number of items, while incresing it on some others leves.

1636577319620.png

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Kind of shit if it happens, since they require you to craft HQ items, and 3 times as many as normal leves. Wonder if they're just removing the 100% boost from it being HQ.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Kind of shit if it happens, since they require you to craft HQ items, and 3 times as many as normal leves. Wonder if they're just removing the 100% boost from it being HQ.
Yeah they might not be worth it that much, although I still expect them to be better by virtue of still being a single leve turn in. At the very least they'll suck for money, but for xp they should still be the superior choice provided you are limited on leves.

That said back in ShB, with the role quests and all that shit, I ended up capping 7/8 crafts with like 60 leves left over. You get a shit ton of xp just doing the role quests and crafting the materials > turn in items(with the xp manuals that give more xp and HQ giving lots of xp), plus the obvious GC turn in daillies and I ended up way overshooting the amount needed. In the end, I dumped the rest of the leves turning in NQ food I bought from the vendors to powerlvl CUL in like 30mins(as usual I leave CUL last cause there's no real reason to level it right away imo as it doesn't provide that much useful stuff). So triple turn ins might just not be worth it overall for leveling even if you "only" have 106leves to rush everything in a day(and most people are gonna have more like 118 or 124 or whatever), because you won't need the little bit of extra xp.

Guess we'll see, ultimately leveling crafting is pretty straightforward regardless. I think I'll do the same as last time more or less, role quests on goldsmith, weaver and alchemist(tends to be the most expensive, although alchemy is pretty cheap but since it's alch/cul for that role quest there's not much of a choice), triple turn ins on cul and single turn ins on the rest unless there's an obvious easy triple turn ins(like ingot crafting for bsm/arm). Since I don't have a plan to make a lot of money and more just to pay back the money spent on leveling, I really don't care that much about efficiency or rushing either.

Merrith

Yeah they might not be worth it that much, although I still expect them to be better by virtue of still being a single leve turn in. At the very least they'll suck for money, but for xp they should still be the superior choice provided you are limited on leves.

That said back in ShB, with the role quests and all that shit, I ended up capping 7/8 crafts with like 60 leves left over. You get a shit ton of xp just doing the role quests and crafting the materials > turn in items(with the xp manuals that give more xp and HQ giving lots of xp), plus the obvious GC turn in daillies and I ended up way overshooting the amount needed. In the end, I dumped the rest of the leves turning in NQ food I bought from the vendors to powerlvl CUL in like 30mins(as usual I leave CUL last cause there's no real reason to level it right away imo as it doesn't provide that much useful stuff). So triple turn ins might just not be worth it overall for leveling even if you "only" have 106leves to rush everything in a day(and most people are gonna have more like 118 or 124 or whatever), because you won't need the little bit of extra xp.

Guess we'll see, ultimately leveling crafting is pretty straightforward regardless. I think I'll do the same as last time more or less, role quests on goldsmith, weaver and alchemist(tends to be the most expensive, although alchemy is pretty cheap but since it's alch/cul for that role quest there's not much of a choice), triple turn ins on cul and single turn ins on the rest unless there's an obvious easy triple turn ins(like ingot crafting for bsm/arm). Since I don't have a plan to make a lot of money and more just to pay back the money spent on leveling, I really don't care that much about efficiency or rushing either.

Yeah in general there were a few classes that had very good triple leve turn ins, either the level 70 or 72 ones to 76, or the one class (can't remember which ) had a great one at 74 that I just used to get that one to 80. The Crystalline Mean quests (crafter/gather role quests) were great for filling in the holes for the classes that didn't have as easy to make stuff for triple leves, and stuff like weaving that was heavier on crystal requirements until they nerfed the cost on all the subcombines later in ShB. Will have to see if it's the same classes like we noted that were easier to use the role quests to move. Either way shouldn't be bad, although I remember using a few more leves than you, although that may be b/c I was pushing some lower level ones (70/72/74 ones) all the way to 80 for some classes because it was just easier at the time.

Obviously should be doing the GC turn ins every day you can, too, especially when starred. Not too worried about max efficiency, but those are just free so easy to knock out each day.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
With them changing the Exp required too lvl though, it might even out would be my guess.
Na that's a separate change, they're specifically nerfing triple leves but increasing single leves, as a % based change, besides the whole "need less xp but get less xp" change. They're basically balancing leves better so triple leves aren't as much of an obvious choice anymore(and also nerfing the gold inflation issue that was created with current coffee cookies shit).

Current system is kinda weird, let's take Armorer last tier of leves, you can craft an annoying chest piece for 10m xp, a bit less annoying boots for 8m or a much less annoying belt for 5m xp. But the belt one can be turned in 3 times per leve, leading to a total of 15m xp. It's an obvious choice to pick belts because they don't require cross mats and require less mats overall, plus per leve you're getting 15m instead of 8/10m. The only downside is the time spent crafting, but it's not even that bad when you consider the amount of additional intermediate materials(ingots/cloth/leather) the bigger items need.

I assume they'll do something like nerf triple to 12m, buff armor to 12m, buff boots to 10m. This way you have a clear choice between easy to gather materials but longer craft time(triple), really annoying to craft shit but highest reward for time(chest) or sacrifice leve efficiency for both a shorter time and lesser material(boots). That's especially true when considering the other benefits, which are the gold(which is getting nerfed too) and the leve rewards which is crystals or materials(in this case ingots). The imbalance comes mostly from triple leves usually being easier items(belts, accessories, intermediate material combines and such) so the rewards are proportionally better per item(if you get 2 ingots back, it's better when crafting a belt that costs 2 ingots and 1ore than a chest that cost 2ingots, 1cloth, 1 yarn, 1 leather and some other bullshit).

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Na that's a separate change, they're specifically nerfing triple leves but increasing single leves, as a % based change, besides the whole "need less xp but get less xp" change. They're basically balancing leves better so triple leves aren't as much of an obvious choice anymore(and also nerfing the gold inflation issue that was created with current coffee cookies shit).

Current system is kinda weird, let's take Armorer last tier of leves, you can craft an annoying chest piece for 10m xp, a bit less annoying boots for 8m or a much less annoying belt for 5m xp. But the belt one can be turned in 3 times per leve, leading to a total of 15m xp. It's an obvious choice to pick belts because they don't require cross mats and require less mats overall, plus per leve you're getting 15m instead of 8/10m. The only downside is the time spent crafting, but it's not even that bad when you consider the amount of additional intermediate materials(ingots/cloth/leather) the bigger items need.

I assume they'll do something like nerf triple to 12m, buff armor to 12m, buff boots to 10m. This way you have a clear choice between easy to gather materials but longer craft time(triple), really annoying to craft shit but highest reward for time(chest) or sacrifice leve efficiency for both a shorter time and lesser material(boots). That's especially true when considering the other benefits, which are the gold(which is getting nerfed too) and the leve rewards which is crystals or materials(in this case ingots). The imbalance comes mostly from triple leves usually being easier items(belts, accessories, intermediate material combines and such) so the rewards are proportionally better per item(if you get 2 ingots back, it's better when crafting a belt that costs 2 ingots and 1ore than a chest that cost 2ingots, 1cloth, 1 yarn, 1 leather and some other bullshit).

ahh I never used Leve's for lvl'ing my crafters , just used GC turn-ins, Firma and the Beast Tribes, the dwarf quests are really fat exp even without the allied rep..

• 1Solidarity

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
ahh I never used Leve's for lvl'ing my crafters , just used GC turn-ins, Firma and the Beast Tribes, the dwarf quests are really fat exp even without the allied rep..
Yeah after they added Ishgard Restoration, leves became obsolete for leveling, but they won't be updating ishgard until 6.1 or later I'd think, same for beast tribes but even later, it's like 6.3 content or whatever. Those are basically catch up mechanics, similar to Bozja being added for combat classes later on while at launch you basically just grind dungeons and FATEs(for fate vendors) and shit like that. At launch it's all about leves for crafting as a result. GC turn ins too obviously but a lot of people who are doing the launch level up want all that shit leveled fast, so you can only get so much from these.

• 1Like

Merrith

Yeah after they added Ishgard Restoration, leves became obsolete for leveling, but they won't be updating ishgard until 6.1 or later I'd think, same for beast tribes but even later, it's like 6.3 content or whatever. Those are basically catch up mechanics, similar to Bozja being added for combat classes later on while at launch you basically just grind dungeons and FATEs(for fate vendors) and shit like that. At launch it's all about leves for crafting as a result. GC turn ins too obviously but a lot of people who are doing the launch level up want all that shit leveled fast, so you can only get so much from these.

Yeah I generally race MSQ on my main class, then go immediately to crafters/gatherers next. Especially true when they aren't adding any "reward" for completing all 5 role quest lines until 6.1...no need to immediately level other combat classes right away. GC turn ins help a little bit, but at most likely get a level and a half to 2 levels off GC turn ins, and maybe just depending if you get lucky with stuff being starred.

Cybsled

6.0 there will be no catch-up mechanics if it is anything like prior xpacs. Only way you're leveling crafting is grinding, leves, custom deliveries, the Crystarium deliveries equivilent, Rowena collectable shit, and GC turn ins.

Malakriss

Only real pain in the ass crafter last time was Weaver with the absurd amount of sub combines and lightning crystals required, which has been addressed already and shouldn't be a problem.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Is there any reason why stockpiling a shitload of crafter/gatherer collectibles and handing them in when the Xpac drops wouldn't work?

Malakriss

As soon as you leveled up to hit 81 there would be a severe xp dropoff and lowered scrips for it? Once you're in a new bracket old stuff is not really worth it at all, at best the daily GC turn-ins might be existing stuff for a level or two.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
As soon as you leveled up to hit 81 there would be a severe xp dropoff and lowered scrips for it? Once you're in a new bracket old stuff is not really worth it at all, at best the daily GC turn-ins might be existing stuff for a level or two.
It has been typically the same thing each xpack. Beast tribes and leves drop down to 10k xp per for anything at old cap (collectibles and regular quests as well) to prompt you to do the new stuff,and I want to say any scripts are also dropped down to like.. 5? Or something per eat old turn in, just making it dumb to try and level with them. I think Pyros mentioned stockpiling quests to hand in immediately on release, but that only work for the small subset that aren't tied to a specific class, and only really for the new jobs.

Dunno if the old script system also has a falloff in that you couldn't bank them before (nixing the white and replacing) but I think the custom deliveries also take a hit until they add in a new one for the xpack

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
As far as I remember, collectables are also penalized right away. Basically as soon as the expansion launch, every 80 collectable should be worth 10k xp and like 1 or 5 scrip or whatever. I could remember wrong and they might take you to 81 though, so if you have some time to waste you could prepare some. That said I think even if it works, it'd only work for gathering. Leves are similar, crafting 80 leves drop to 10k xp instantly, but gathering leves apparently will work until 81 based on previous expansions, so you can take 16 gathering leves in advance to turn in. I did that, if it doesn't it didn't really cost me anything anyway. The idea I think is that gathering getting to cap early makes no real difference but crafting has some economy implications, maybe. Beast tribes instantly drop to 10k xp for the crafting/gathering, so these are worthless.

The quest preparation I did was standard side quests(back at ShB launch I left most of Ahm Aereng side quests incomplete for this purpose), I have ~30 of them to turn in on whatever class, these aren't class specific(I tested by turning in one on a different class since I read that didn't work). If they give full xp(they should really but we'll see since unlike previous expansions, these are scaling sidequests, but it's a first), I'll turn them in on MNK right at the launch for 30% of a level. If they don't give full xp to MNK due to changes, I'll just turn them in on RPR or SGE for 30% of a level at their level instead. Can pickup some fae daillies in advance but only for current classes since these can only be done on the class that picks up the quest(so you can't pool 3 of them for RPR/SGE).

There's other type of prep you can do too. The bigger one should be taking a book from chloe the week before the launch week and not turning it in. Books last for 2weeks, so you can take that book, complete it and hold on to it, and as soon as patch goes up, you go and turn it in for big xp(30% iirc?), then take another book and turn that one in too. I believe just like everything they'll make books drop in xp right away so it'll only be for RPR/SGE(a 80 book should give them full xp). Again this is new to this expansion, previously chloe books didn't provide xp, so the only reason to do it was for additional poetics, so we'll see. Books only take like 7-8mins to do if you have BLU and some 2nd chance(just clear all primals/coil unsynced one shot with final sting, then reset them enough time you have 9 marks) so it's a nice thing to do.

Hunt daillies are also something you can pool ahead, if you really want you can even go and kill like 1/2 or 2/3 mobs for the ones that need so you only need a single kill for each(but it's not really needed). You can have the day before(or any day before there's no expiration date on these) turn in and instantly take a new day's worth. That's like 20% xp or something like that so it's not so bad, there's a website you can use to input all the mobs and it'll show an efficient path to go kill them all.

People also talk about preparing challenge log ahead(after the weekly reset but before the expansion launch). You can do like 9/10 FATEs in 4/5 region, this way the first FATE you do in a new region gives you both challenge xp, or do 4/5 dungeon run with 4/5 commends and get both on the first dungeon run after. This is prone to fuck ups if you don't pay attention though. You can also prepare the crafting/gathering ones the same, although in my experience these are just easy to get if you start gathering/crafting before the next weekly reset(which I usually do). Even the standard ones aren't too hard usually, only the FATE one can be worth doing for the region stuff(I usually did FATEs in every zone in ShB though for the mount speed vendor stuff, so amount of FATEs is whatever).

Ultimately it's all small things that will barely impact your experience if you don't do them, it's just for bored people to prepare before the expansion. Anyone still doing the story or whatever really shouldn't care about all that shit, at best it's gonna save you a couple of dungeon runs or roulettes or whatever.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah I ended up completing all the quests available while I was leveling other jobs after I got whm to 80.
Being part of the bleeding edge during the initial push at the pre-order release date (Dec 3rd) mostly only gives you great benefits in that you can beat whatever "trial" is at the end of 6.0 with other poopsockers, while if you wait a week you end up with regular people who stand in fire and don't pay as much attention( if you're not in a FC with lots of fellow poopsockers at the same point). Though... I may have missed, but are they making even the trials Trust-friendly? Most people (including crafters/gatherers) will be leveling their main job to get access to all the zones/flying so you might be able to sneak in some early big sells( mostly mats to people trying to spam crafting up; could be some really solid early $$)

My prep is basically capping poetics and just making sure I'm at max rested/leves. No desire to be world first reaper or sage so just like shadowbringers if I can get in and stay in, MSQ progression it is. But... I'm on Gilgamesh, so that's bound to have some extremely shitty queues. Just hopefully there's no Raubahn's Wall; ShB was really solid without any major stumbling blocks so hopefully that holds true again.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Trials will still be players only I assume, but no idea. It would be "harder" to do trials with trusts I'd say since your death is an instant wipe, while story trials are usually a graveyard with one poor rdm/healer spamming rez the entire fight to get through it eventually so even shitty players clear. If there's trusts though I'm definitely doing it with themI agree on the clearing fast so you can do EX pugs earlier, but the difference between max prep and no prep is probably like, 2hours at most, so literally doesn't matter, it's just more stuff to do when you have nothing else to do or limited stuff to do. I will do them earlier than last time though, I remember waiting for a week later or whatever and it was already filled with a lot of fucking retards, even though the ShB first EX were some of the easiest they've done.