Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tried fishing last night for the first time and it was unexpectedly fun.

Boosted it to 50 so far with just cheap marketboard fish for leves but now catching all the quest fish because I refuse to spend 13k a pop on warmwater trout.

Malkav

French Madman
Tried fishing last night for the first time and it was unexpectedly fun.

Boosted it to 50 so far with just cheap marketboard fish for leves but now catching all the quest fish because I refuse to spend 13k a pop on warmwater trout.

Probably would have been less of a money drain to buy a survival manual with GC seals and park your ass in the Diadem. Took me like 2 hours to do 1-50 this way. And I was able to desynth the diadem fishes for diadem mats that sold on the MB so it even made money.

But yeah, fishing is surprisingly involved with mooching and stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Can also do ocean fishing, I saw ppl leveling there when I was looking for fishes for the achievement and they'd get like 3-4 levels just fishing and I think you get a bunch of xp at the end too. Can't chain it, it's only once every 2 hours but it seemed stupidly fast.

But yeah fishing is the one gathering skill you can level by just doing it at a decent pace, assuming you have manuals. Others you have to do collectables cause it's slow as shit, but fishes you get a bunch of xp for every fishes and with Patience you can just chain HQ so you always get big xp. You can still do collectables on top too in the right places, so it's really fast and easy to level.

Fishing is a huge completionist black hole though, on the surface it's easy enough but once you start the quest for big fishes this shit takes forever. Like mining/botanist to get the most current shiny tool achievement you need like 280 or 300 unique items or whatever, that's basically all of them, but it only takes a few hours to do, there's a few unspoiled nodes but most spawn twice an hour, a few of the older ones only once an hour but if you plan properly for it you can be done in a big day. Fishing on the flipside requires 1440 fishes, 200+ of which are big fishes. The fishes are random and some have low % bite rate, some only spawn at certain hours or during certain weather. The big fishes usually combine several of these conditions, on top of not being guaranteed catches when you get a bite(even old expansion ones, you can have 2000 gathering and ARR big fishes still have a set "miss" rate). Some are so rare they can go weeks without even being available to TRY. Real weeks, not ingame weeks.

It is pretty fun filling up that log though, there's quite a lot of depth to the fishing system once you understand some intricacies(and it keeps evolving, I learned about chum cancel last time I resubbed, a tech found because of how stupid some of the new big fishes are in ShB). But I wouldn't really recommend it, as you're probably looking at like 250-300hours of fishing to even get somewhere, which is hilarious when you compare it to the ~6hours for the other gathering.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>

If you are not in a hurry just do Ocean Fishing to level up your fishing. You get a ton of levels doing it if you have any kind of xp buff going on. It happens every two hours and takes about 30 minutes to complete. Just come back 90 minutes after you finish and do it some more. Fishing was the first class I got to level 80. Ocean fished for almost all of it. Then dropped 600k on level 80 gathering gear. If you get into it this is very helpful LuLu's Tools - Ocean Fishing

• 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you’re rushing to level in this game think you’re doing something wrong. They don’t even release the savage content for a few weeks so there’s plenty of time to get the tomestone gear and level multiple classes for most people. I guess you could miss the non-scrub window on extreme primals if you level really slow but that’s usually plenty of time

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I maxed out fishing and haven't done the low level quest to equip the spear offhand lol
You don't get the spear till Stormblood, but I belive you can go to the Ruby Sea at anytime and get the Gigging skill.. it's in the ocean right outside Tamamizu

Rali

Trakanon Raider
1636815786755.png

Thank fuck that's over!

• 1Solidarity

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
I didn’t mind that step so much. I leveled one job to 80 and another about half way from 71-80 doing that step of the quest. I really like how you can use Zadnor to level other jobs while working on the resistance weapon(s). Think I only had to run a handful of raids to finish up the memories from critical engagements.

Rali

Trakanon Raider
I didn’t mind that step so much. I leveled one job to 80 and another about half way from 71-80 doing that step of the quest. I really like how you can use Zadnor to level other jobs while working on the resistance weapon(s). Think I only had to run a handful of raids to finish up the memories from critical engagements.

I had both PLD and SAM at 80 before I got to Zadnor and have been getting both their relics up at the same time. Glad this step only has to be completed once, or I'd have had to make a decision over which one I wanted to take into EW, 'cos screw doing that lot twice! :)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I leveled to 10/10/10 while doing that step. The hardest was probably z2 because most people were terrible at the clock one and avoided, yet it's the most scripted with with no adds.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How the fuck did you do 10/10/10 with just this step? I was still leveling when I did it but it wasn't even close, especially seeing how the mettle point shit goes up the more you have. I finished the relic stuff and did a few more dalriada and the weekly and I'm at like 4/2/0 or some shit, I basically filled the mettle bar 3 times total. The only way I'd see getting 10/10/10 is farming those stupid pages things for the mount, I mean it's 90 normal fates and 45CEs, which overall isn't that much xp.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Duel buff certainly helps and I also finished off the pages for the mount by doing 2 or 3 of the duels myself. If no one is completing them on your datacenter that certainly slows down your progress.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Shiiiiiiiit I’m 6/6/0 and I’ve spent a ton of time in there for my relics and my brother’s grind as well. I think I’ve only ever had the duel buff twice though, and once I wasted it in a Dalriada. Stupid Crystal data center.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well if you did the pages yeah that'd make sense since that's a lot of additional grind. I had the duel buff like once when I was farming but still wasn't close. Granted if I had been max level while doing it I probably would have gotten more since the higher rank you are, the more mettle you get, but still doesn't feel like it'd be close to 10/10/10, that's like 400m or something iirc? CEs give like what, 1.2m with the buff? And fates give 500k.

I mean I wasn't really trying for it anyway, I just cashed in whatever mettle I had and stopped doing the thing as soon as I was done with my relics so it's fine, just feels like it's a lot more grinding. I'll be running the place for RPR/SGE but don't really need the buffs for that, I'm just mostly going to be doing fates and I guess CEs hoping someone is a tank or using a tank essence so I don't have to do it.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I feel like the base game story wants me to care about the ala mhigans, but they honestly come across as a bunch of bloodthirsty assholes that are just butthurt because they were on the wrong side of the ass kicking this time.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I feel like the base game story wants me to care about the ala mhigans, but they honestly come across as a bunch of bloodthirsty assholes that are just butthurt because they were on the wrong side of the ass kicking this time.

They’re a bunch of whiny bitches who, yes indeed, were assholes and actually in the past tried to invade Gridania as well as other places. Then the empire comes and smokes them after I think an internal war and then they come crying because no one will give them handouts. Yeah, because they’re cunts.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah don't care much about them. They get a bit fleshed out during Stormblood(MNK questline also, some decent story there) but overall they're not very interesting people imo, kinda just help them cause Garleans are worse. Some of them are actually pretty good people but they're the typical "honor and strength" people but since they're now refugees and mostly treated like shit cause of Uldah "money is everything" mentality, most just turn into(or already were) bullies and criminals. Even the bit in Stormblood doesn't really redeem them, but I'd say the story doesn't really force you to like them even in these parts, it shows some interesting people, but it's also litterred with human garbage during that MSQ.

localhost

Golden Knight of the Realm
What you learn during the bard quest teach you they were not that much into "honor and stenght" in the past too.

• 1Like