Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Just led a group full of newbies through Unreal Leviathian out of the PF - no one had completion.

Felt goooood. Took awhile but we got him on the 2nd attempt after re-queue.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Pyros Pyros do you remember if the GC crafting/gathering turn ins were still viable/the same right at start of ShB? Thinking worthwhile to prep some of the stuff right at level 80 to have to turn in first day or two while doing MSQ to get crafters/gatherers moving a bit. Although gathering might be weird since there won't be HQ versions of the turn ins anymore.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Pyros Pyros do you remember if the GC crafting/gathering turn ins were still viable/the same right at start of ShB? Thinking worthwhile to prep some of the stuff right at level 80 to have to turn in first day or two while doing MSQ to get crafters/gatherers moving a bit. Although gathering might be weird since there won't be HQ versions of the turn ins anymore.

Viable yes ..
for Botanist/Miner(Unless they are making changes too it, not sure yet) Diadem !

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
probably be good for 80-81 , but past that .. who knows ? with all the changes too exp values coming I bet they already have values all laid out for GC Turn-ins.

Cybsled

I just remember in years past they always nerfed the XP gains or the XP scaling made the prior expansion handins not really viable.

Kind of like the leves - if you try to do a prior expansion crafting/gathering leve at max level for that expansion, it gives crap xp.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think for GC turn ins they stay relevant, because you can't just turn in whatever you want anyway. At 81, you'll still get the 80 list stuff sometimes, it just bumps the 79 stuff out and replaces it with 81 stuff, and only at 82 you phase out ShB stuff entirely, as far as I remember.

Collectables and leves for gathering should work until 81, at least as far as I've read/remember. For crafting they're shit straight away iirc, 10k xp for everything and like 5scrips or whatever it is for collectables. Have to grab new 80 leves in the EW city and collectables there too(but waste of money doing collectables on crafting at launch).

I would certainly expect Diadem/Ishgard Resto to be shit instantly on both gathering and crafting however. It's catch up content so don't think it'll help with leveling at all, but could be wrong, no precedent here since it's ShB content. Similarly, no idea how Ocean Fishing will go, if it'll still give stupid xp and scale past 80, or if it'll instantly give garbage xp at 80, or if it'll work until 81. If it turns out they scale past 81 I'll look into them but otherwise it's dead content until 6.1.

For my own prep, I've crafted one of every GC item that's possible(79-80 list basically) as HQ, so I can turn in without having to craft unless it repeats for 2 days. I'll sell the shit I don't use, or throw it away. I have plenty of the NQ gathered items in that GC bracket too, no idea how many you'll need for turn ins with HQ removal but probably not that many anyway. I have stupid amounts of GC turn in fishes because I bought them back in 5.0 when they were cheap so I could resell them in 6.0(sadly the HQ probably won't have any additional values, but people still spend good money on GC turn in fishes so they don't have to go catch them themselves, takes a while to sell everything though).

I have only 2 collectable, 2 fishes(80 white scrip shit) because I got them when doing big fishing and figured I might as well keep them in case, if they don't give xp don't really care and didn't need the scrips anyway.

I have 16 gathering leves picked up, the 3x 78 leves for mining and botanist(already completed obviously just need to turn in), and the rest is all the fishing going down to 74 or whatever. I have spare fishes for the 3x 78 ones because if the server goes up at the appointed time, it's 1hour before leve ticks, and I figure I'll just take 3 more fishing leves and turn them in so I don't lose that reset. If the servers are a bit late, I'll just sell them/throw them away no big deal.

I don't know how useful it's all gonna be, but I also have nothing else to do so prepared that over the past couple of weeks because why not.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Collectibles I don't think worked at 70 at start of ShB, I don't expect them to at 80, either. GC daily turn ins will be fine, and starting at 80 should still have the old list, but like Pyros noted, starting at 81 chance for higher stuff to replace and at 82 you won't see any ShB turn ins at that point.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
1638202355687.png

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider

This is some funny shit. The SoS clip at 16:20 makes it INSANELY OBVIOUS he faked blind prog on at least that boss, and from there the circumstantial stuff on other bosses looks pretty damming to me.

e: If you haven't done SoS -- if you use dps LB while the boss is NOT casting he will HG and take no damage, but if you use it while he is casting it works. Max obv knew about the HG cast then was surprised it didn't happen / didn't know you could use it during casts, I guess.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I remember watching their kill live and finding it weird he asked that but figured they had done a pull where they used melee LB3 before cause I didn't watch the prog but yeah. The swords part is also very obvious since he calls the mechanic before it even starts, the first time they even see it.

Figuring out Lions by crossing fire also seems like some bullshit. It's a great uptime strat, but it needs really precise placement and not something you'd come up with by watching shitty angle replays a few times and be like "oh yeah there's totally enough room to cross the cones and not murder everyone or at least the big lion baits".

Clouds of darkness slowing down is also another, unless you've done the 24man, where people will naturally slow down the clouds cause it's a 24man so there's people everywhere and the clouds are getting sucked in only one direction, it'd be impossible to figure out instantly like that cause it's absolutely not obvious and basically the only case in the entire game where standing near something slows them down(it'd be more logical to think about looking/not looking as that's a mechanic used several times). And afaik he boosted so he didn't actually do crystal tower at all. Maybe in a queue but then the reaction would have been different, instead of "hold up I figured this guys" it'd be like "eh that's the same shit as the 24man". That would actually be a lot more believable tbh.

The blaming someone else for cheating/lying is also fairly typical cheater/liar behaviour, if you do it, you'll be a lot more prone to think other people are doing it too. Granted that other guy might also have been watching videos, the examples weren't really that damning on that.

Ultimately doesn't matter that much and still gave good cover for the game to get WoW people interested, so whatever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The biggest giveaway for the Max situation was when the Ninja in his group figured out a mechanic and Max was angry that he couldn't have "an enlightened epiphany" on stream about it anymore. To be the one to guide the blind peasants through the storm of mechanics. You could tell that it wasn't supposed to be a "team effort", it was supposed to be a "put me on the pedestal and worship your leader" situation.

Echo brought their top team to the game and seemed to have a lot of fun. Max on the other hand went in with "I'll just bring some mediocre players and show everyone that the new hype FFXIV is doable even with low effort" - at least he came off like that to me.

and still gave good cover for the game to get WoW people interested, so whatever.
To be honest, not all attention is good. Look how miserable Sodapopping is, being forced to play FFXIV because everyone moved on from the game he would like to play. At least we got an "fuck around and find out that the GM's really do their job" moment out of it.

Personally, I don't want the WoW first world race circus to come into FFXIV-Town.

We had something like a gentleman's agreement between SE and addon developers/users. A bit like Fight Club. Max going around with custom UI fuckery and bringing in boss addons may kill that agreement, and then SE may have to clamp down on things like XIVLoader.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Malkav

French Madman
Max was also always pissy about his team being slow. That dude is a huge ass anyway.

At least Echo went truely blind. Man it was funny seeing them kill E12S part 1 and start rejoicing before realizing they weren't done.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Max seems like an insufferable douche cock. The Echo guys have been fun to watch, though, and yeah they really seem to be enjoying themselves. Didn’t pay attention to either in WoW but watching Echo prog new stuff could be enjoyable.

Chris

Potato del Grande
So am I right in ssaying that Max is literally not playing and just coaching/directing 8 people?

How is he actually leading things? FF14 seems to be much more individual skill based than wow?

Rali

Trakanon Raider
If you spend any length of time watching Max, his massive ego really begins to show through. It was especially obvious in his convo's with Sfia and then RogerBrown when stuff was cleared, and he basically talked over people and was constantly, "Weren't me and my team great, we solved x and y so quickly". The way he treated the early team he had, and then dropped the lower performing people with an excuse of "yeah, they're going on holiday so we need to change the team" (funnily enough, they kept streaming other stuff even though they were on "holiday")

I think it's really telling that even after all this, Max isn't throwing his hat into the Endwalker WF's ring.

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Cleared my bags of shit and cleaned out the armory of belts and unused armor. Should be ready for endwalker barring queues making it impossible to log in.