Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Reminder that we'll be doing FoH 2nd trial boss extreme runs on discord in 4 hours from this post. I'll lead on discord and I am a certified 2nd trial boss god, so victory is assured!

Anyone on Aether is welcome regardless of gear or experience. Have heal and dps slots available.

Got DC'd just as I got off work, so I'm 3k in queue. :( Will hopefully be on by then.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Tried out Summoner today. Not sure what to level next between SMN and BLM but the mobility of SMN is crazy now. I really like BLM but the long cast times and busy fights can be annoying.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Tried out Summoner today. Not sure what to level next between SMN and BLM but the mobility of SMN is crazy now. I really like BLM but the long cast times and busy fights can be annoying.
BLM has a ton of options for mobility now though, they already had a bunch but you can for example hold a Triple Cast without any loss since it has 2 charges(well you lose a triple cast during burst window but it's not even that much since you're just triplecasting Fire IVs anyway), you still have 2 xeno, firestarter now lasts 30seconds and thundercloud 40seconds which is crazy and you have 2 charges of sharpcast to make sure you can refresh them easily, so you can always more or less have 2 to 4 instant casts saved up you can use for movement. Still need to plan ahead of time some and juggle all these timers, but it's a lot easier on fights you're forced to move for.

On the flipside SMN is virtually a ranged phys, they have basically only 3 solid casts every minute and the rest is instant, and with swiftcast you can obviously make one of these instant too. You can also decide ahead of time when you use the casts more or less by picking the phase, so while there's a bit of planning it's much easier than for BLM. Downside is their damage is a lot lower, they're currently at the bottom of non ranged phys DPS, they do have pretty good utility(phoenix aoe heal and single target heal, and combat rez obviously, plus they can shield themselves pretty often) but it's still rough, although I expect numbers to go up a bit in 6.05 since it's a standout difference.

I've been playing my SMN, geared it too, it's for now my go to DPS class, I like how simple the rotation is and yet it's satisfying seeing the big explosion and bahamut zapping shit and stuff.

Finally done farm EX1 for accs, as luck would have it, I was farming my very last 20th totem when 3 of the accs I still needed dropped at once and I won them all. So now I guess I have 15 totems for nothing. Oh well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
Reminder that we'll be doing FoH 2nd trial boss extreme runs on discord in 4 hours from this post. I'll lead on discord and I am a certified 2nd trial boss god, so victory is assured!

Anyone on Aether is welcome regardless of gear or experience. Have heal and dps slots available.

Mmm no videos? I mean, knowing FOH you'll be banned from twitch and demonetized on Youtube.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>

Worth knowing

TLDR: can use GC seals to purchase 2 boxes that grant minions and mounts from ARR-ShB

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
TLDR: can use GC seals to purchase 2 boxes that grant minions and mounts from ARR-ShB
Buddy of mine has been running trust dungeons each day, handing all the drops in for seals to buy these boxes for the last couple of weeks.
He sends me all the dupe stuff he gets which has been at least a dozen minions so far. He's seeking mounts, I don't think he's had much luck there but he's definitely gotten a lot of minions.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was motivated enough by the story to endure shitty queues and late night play but how are we supposed to grind dungeons get gear level alt jobs while dealing with this crap? I’m so behind where I’d normally be due to simply not being able to get online and once savage comes around and I haven’t gotten my extreme weapon yet etc I am going to feel too far behind and quit, I wonder if this will happen at larger scale later

Malakriss

6.05 will introduce i580 crafted gear as well, tryhards will buy up scores of IX to overmeld rather than simply use EX stuff anyways.

Gatherers have been spiritbonding off the 1-star materials for those combines already and will be glad to sell the 1000s of mats they won't ever use at inflated prices on patch day too.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
There's been some really great moments in the MSQ, but holy fuck there is a TON of padding in between. With that and the queue times, it's been a slog for me. How far in is the 2nd trial? I'm almost level 90 and i've only done the 1 so far, i'm hoping the last stretch is really back loaded because if i'm like only half way through I might just give up at this point.

• 1Like

Aazrael

There's been some really great moments in the MSQ, but holy fuck there is a TON of padding in between. With that and the queue times, it's been a slog for me. How far in is the 2nd trial? I'm almost level 90 and i've only done the 1 so far, i'm hoping the last stretch is really back loaded because if i'm like only half way through I might just give up at this point.
The trials are at 83, 89 and 90 MSQ level. Just like ShB I think.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I was motivated enough by the story to endure shitty queues and late night play but how are we supposed to grind dungeons get gear level alt jobs while dealing with this crap? I’m so behind where I’d normally be due to simply not being able to get online and once savage comes around and I haven’t gotten my extreme weapon yet etc I am going to feel too far behind and quit, I wonder if this will happen at larger scale later
Literally just buy crafted gear once the patch hits and you'll be full 580. Current gear is pointless other than saving money, it's even technically worse than the crafted gear since you can pentameld that(even if you just throw 50g lvl 7 materias at the pentamelds to save money it's still better). If you can get your gatherers up you can just get most of the mats too then find a crafter to make the gear for cheap(you will need a substantial amount of tome materials, so you definitely want 2000 aphorism before savage hits though and you'll likely still need to buy some more).

And savage is still 2 whole weeks away, which is plenty of time to do EX trials too. The way they reworked drops on weapon trial makes it very easy to get weapons also, you get both one direct random drop and one box(so every kill drops "your" weapon), and then you still get totems as usual so 10kills is the max you need regardless.

Plus a substantial amount of people don't do savage right away, as it gets easier every week as you accumulate tome gear(the good tome gear not the current useless tomes). That and waiting for strats. While the pubs also get worse usually over time for clears, you can still absolutely learn savage like 2months in, or even the whole patch later with catch up gear helping the runs too.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
Ex trials are pretty chill after the initial “wtf” first hour or so - started zodiark on gnb Friday night and I’m bis now except for one last tome piece. Gonna see if I can push ast to 90 and clear on that in the next week~ or so. I play on primal at mostly European evening times if anyone else on FoH happens to fit that demographic and wants to run some junk.

• 1Like

Aazrael

BLM has a ton of options for mobility now though, they already had a bunch but you can for example hold a Triple Cast without any loss since it has 2 charges(well you lose a triple cast during burst window but it's not even that much since you're just triplecasting Fire IVs anyway), you still have 2 xeno, firestarter now lasts 30seconds and thundercloud 40seconds which is crazy and you have 2 charges of sharpcast to make sure you can refresh them easily, so you can always more or less have 2 to 4 instant casts saved up you can use for movement. Still need to plan ahead of time some and juggle all these timers, but it's a lot easier on fights you're forced to move for.

On the flipside SMN is virtually a ranged phys, they have basically only 3 solid casts every minute and the rest is instant, and with swiftcast you can obviously make one of these instant too. You can also decide ahead of time when you use the casts more or less by picking the phase, so while there's a bit of planning it's much easier than for BLM. Downside is their damage is a lot lower, they're currently at the bottom of non ranged phys DPS, they do have pretty good utility(phoenix aoe heal and single target heal, and combat rez obviously, plus they can shield themselves pretty often) but it's still rough, although I expect numbers to go up a bit in 6.05 since it's a standout difference.

I've been playing my SMN, geared it too, it's for now my go to DPS class, I like how simple the rotation is and yet it's satisfying seeing the big explosion and bahamut zapping shit and stuff.

Finally done farm EX1 for accs, as luck would have it, I was farming my very last 20th totem when 3 of the accs I still needed dropped at once and I won them all. So now I guess I have 15 totems for nothing. Oh well.
I have always been bad at complicated gameplay. I played Dancer last expansion due to it being simple as "press glowy buttons". It was pretty shitty damage though, not that I'm an end raider or anything but I like to see I'm doing well in the groups damage wise. Summoner feels almost as simple as that, granted I dont have all the Summon skills yet as I'm only at 80. But how do they do in damage compared to the Samurai/Reaper/Black mages?

I am playing my BLM right now and almost to lvl 83. The first dungeon is kinda cancer though for a noob BLM. :p

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I have always been bad at complicated gameplay. I played Dancer last expansion due to it being simple as "press glowy buttons". It was pretty shitty damage though, not that I'm an end raider or anything but I like to see I'm doing well in the groups damage wise. Summoner feels almost as simple as that, granted I dont have all the Summon skills yet as I'm only at 80. But how do they do in damage compared to the Samurai/Reaper/Black mages?

I am playing my BLM right now and almost to lvl 83. The first dungeon is kinda cancer though for a noob BLM. :p
You can check fflogs but currently SMN is undertuned, does really low dmg for its role. It's still like within acceptable levels and you get a bunch of utility, just the dmg isn't good and I assume they'll be buffing potencies in 6.05 or at least 6.1.

At a casual level though that doesn't make much difference I think, if you don't do savage or only do it when overgeared it's really not something that matters much, it isn't too different from phys DPS being naturally lower for their dmg reduction buff and the fact they can move around and 1% raid dmg role bonus and ppl still picked these constantly.

But basically currently they're around 6k DPS, and SAM/BLM/RPR are more around 6.4-6.5k. That's a pretty substantial difference in terms of XIV balance, but it's something that usually gets fixed, I expect they'll just buff some potencies here and there and that'll be that. Balance is always kinda fucked at release, not super fucked but more fucked than usual, they'll tighten these numbers. And you're really only competing with RDM and BLM for a caster spot, and while BLM is substantially higher, it's always BLM, no combat rez so that's just a big downside for prog. RDM is higher too but less so(around 6.2k) and offers good utility, so technically the best caster pick for savage prog is RDM(even besides dual cast rez, they also have a 10% dmg reduction buff now and they made their dmg buff not the weird reducing over time shit).

But other than meta cucks no one really will care though, first tier especially will likely not be tuned tightly enough that you wouldn't be able to beat it with a group that only stacks the "worst" choice, like PLD+GNB+AST+SCH+DNC+SMN+NIN+DRG. That's like the "worst" party and I have no doubt you will be able to clear savage at min ilvl with that setup anyway.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Aazrael

You can check fflogs but currently SMN is undertuned, does really low dmg for its role. It's still like within acceptable levels and you get a bunch of utility, just the dmg isn't good and I assume they'll be buffing potencies in 6.05 or at least 6.1.

At a casual level though that doesn't make much difference I think, if you don't do savage or only do it when overgeared it's really not something that matters much, it isn't too different from phys DPS being naturally lower for their dmg reduction buff and the fact they can move around and 1% raid dmg role bonus and ppl still picked these constantly.

But basically currently they're around 6k DPS, and SAM/BLM/RPR are more around 6.4-6.5k. That's a pretty substantial difference in terms of XIV balance, but it's something that usually gets fixed, I expect they'll just buff some potencies here and there and that'll be that. Balance is always kinda fucked at release, not super fucked but more fucked than usual, they'll tighten these numbers. And you're really only competing with RDM and BLM for a caster spot, and while BLM is substantially higher, it's always BLM, no combat rez so that's just a big downside for prog. RDM is higher too but less so(around 6.2k) and offers good utility, so technically the best caster pick for savage prog is RDM(even besides dual cast rez, they also have a 10% dmg reduction buff now and they made their dmg buff not the weird reducing over time shit).

But other than meta cucks no one really will care though, first tier especially will likely not be tuned tightly enough that you wouldn't be able to beat it with a group that only stacks the "worst" choice, like PLD+GNB+AST+SCH+DNC+SMN+NIN+DRG. That's like the "worst" party and I have no doubt you will be able to clear savage at min ilvl with that setup anyway.
Thanks! Doing okay with BLM but some fights my whole rotation unravels and Eno Chan vanish. It is more mobile though for sure than before. I kinda like it more than summoner so will probably keep going.

Did Ninja get a bad start in endwalker? I heard some fc members complaining they did low dmg.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thanks! Doing okay with BLM but some fights my whole rotation unravels and Eno Chan vanish. It is more mobile though for sure than before. I kinda like it more than summoner so will probably keep going.

Did Ninja get a bad start in endwalker? I heard some fc members complaining they did low dmg.
Yeah they're kinda at the bottom too, but even with this larger than usual gap it's still less than 10% kind of shit, ppl just make it sound like the "bad" classes are unplayable shit but it's fine. Ninja looks kinda weird though so don't know, I'm lvling it now to get it out of the way so I'll see once I get the new skills.

• 1Like

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
unknown.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users