Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Nearing the end of the MSQ on PLD and looking at what next to level.

How are people finding RPR? It's either level that or take DNC to 90 as I can't face healing for a while.

Also, tried running a few 70 dungeons on PLD at 80 and now at 90 and they didn't seem noticeably faster. Did they significantly nerf the unsynced performance on old content?
RPR is really good and really nice to play, however that + the edginess means it's extremely extremely popular, they're fucking everywhere, which I find a bit annoying. Also annoying to find groups for stuff as a result since a lot of PFs have the no double rule thing on. But it was great fun to level, I liked it quite a lot.

Unsynced is a bit of a mixed bag I think? But some stuff didn't get much easier from what I've read. I haven't really done much, just ran some shit on BLU and it still clears HW dungeons really easily but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
You start seeing quite a few freestyle RPR in dungeons lately too. Leave it to the mouthbreathers to perform rock bottom on what is currently the most overtuned job lol.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
They are absolutely hilariously broken sub 70. I enjoy getting them in my groups.

Great story overall imo; the final boss being sort of conjured still works out. Also hoooly shit on either Yoshitaka Amano doing some hardcore design, or people aping the absolute shit out of him. the 2nd and 3rd Trials are f'n majestic from an artistic standpoint.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unsynced is a bit of a mixed bag I think? But some stuff didn't get much easier from what I've read. I haven't really done much, just ran some shit on BLU and it still clears HW dungeons really easily but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

I think part of the problem for me is PLD AoE seems to have really nosedived. The first pack on St Moc Arb (Hard) don't die noticeably faster than they did at 80. If I single target them then, yes, a little, but not hugely. I guess I won't fully know till I take a DPS job through but there's a part of me considering taking WAR from 71 to 90 before that as it seems to be a beast at the minute with its reportedly broken Nascent/Bloodwhetting.

Malkav

French Madman
Well PAL right now is the bottom performing tank DPS wise.

1639741891376.png

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well the 5% lower dmg or whatever it is wouldn't account for much slower speed when doing dungeons, it's a lot more likely the stat squish and unsynced echo not being properly scaled at all level ranges and overall the usual gap in power not being obvious.

That said, the first tier is generally not a massive change compared to the previous expansion even unsynced. Usually the big difference is you have more hp so you can survive random shit more easily but dmg wise it's not a crazy jump until you get to BiS of this tier or the next tier. Like currently we're still in 580 gear and that's a whole 20ilvls lower than the cap of this tier since savage isn't released yet, and for comparison 80 to 90 is only 30ilvl. There's some inherent bonuses to being higher level, but ilvl is a big part of the power spike and we're missing 40% of it currently.

I haven't really done anything myself though and I wasn't doing much before either so don't have a point of comparison. I do need to do 80 EX for dragons so I'll start doing that at some point and see how it works out but been doing other stuff for now.

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
89 is exactly the same amount of xp as the levels before, besides 80. It's 10 quests exactly(every level is 10quests, other than 80 being 20 since it splits into 2 as usual), which is about 5m xp, not even half the xp needed for 89 to 90. There is a dungeon run too which is like 3.5m xp or so, so you're somewhat close to getting a full level IF you run every single 89 quests on that char. So sounds like you're just mixing up a bunch of roulettes and stuff, and yeah that'll happen. Do the roulettes on other classes instead?
Didn't man. Hit 89 from a fate (so maybe 100k exp over) did the 89 dungeon for the quest, did the 89 trial and started doing MSQ.

Pacing is different than other expansions. Didn't do roulettes on my toons on the MSQ, did do the flight quests. *Shrug*

Unpopular opinion - FF14 is bad at story telling. I'm not a quest reader and I generally skip cut scenes because they just aren't interesting. I do the same in other games. I know what's going on in WoW zones and the plot arcs for the expansion. I know what's going on in SWTOR. Fuck I remember what's going on in shit games like Wildstar. FF14 I have played every raid and every patch except a couple last expansion. I have never had any idea what the fuck is going on with the story.

• 3Picard
  • 2Midwit
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 5 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Unpopular opinion - FF14 is bad at story telling. I'm not a quest reader and I generally skip cut scenes because they just aren't interesting.
If you just watched the scenes that are voice-acted, you'd have a clue. I thought the ARR story was quite shit, but from there, I think it's really improved.

Also wanted to mention I ran Ktisis Hyperboreia last night through the DF (not uncommon). My group was absolutely retarded, the tank admitted he was drinking and stopped every few minutes to do lord knows what. We barely and I mean barely finished the boss (I was RDM and was healing as much as fighting). I finally told him at the end that we just carried his ass and that he should stop drinking because he's shit at the game when he does (if that's what was even happening). Horribly frustrating to wipe 4-5 times due to some idiot fuck not even paying attention.

Malkav

French Madman
If you just watched the scenes that are voice-acted, you'd have a clue. I thought the ARR story was quite shit, but from there, I think it's really improved.

Also wanted to mention I ran Ktisis Hyperboreia last night through the DF (not uncommon). My group was absolutely retarded, the tank admitted he was drinking and stopped every few minutes to do lord knows what. We barely and I mean barely finished the boss (I was RDM and was healing as much as fighting). I finally told him at the end that we just carried his ass and that he should stop drinking because he's shit at the game when he does (if that's what was even happening). Horribly frustrating to wipe 4-5 times due to some idiot fuck not even paying attention.

The playerbase keeps enabling these idiots as you did yourself though. You get such a shitter, you kick him, that's it.

• 1Solidarity

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Of course, they could also report you for harassment and telling them how to enjoy their online time and with the way the shitty mods are in the game (and the forums) you'd probably end up eating a suspension.

Malkav

French Madman
Of course, they could also report you for harassment and telling them how to enjoy their online time and with the way the shitty mods are in the game (and the forums) you'd probably end up eating a suspension.

Can't report you if you don't say anything. Silent kick, that's it.

Goonsquad Officer
yea. square absolutely enforces "play nice" with an iron fist. if some one plays like a turd and you call them a turd. they can report and you'll get some jail time or suspension. always just vote initiate kick, or quit yourself. don't let the words enter the game world. thats the only proof the GM's use. talk shit in discord.

• 1Like

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Stopping the sale of the game is a pretty bold move.

It's also a great marketing gimmick. Hard to get stuff becomes more desirable.

Works on me. Just bought a Xbox X I don't need. And now I'm reconsidering coming back to this game even though it never really clicked for me.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Yeah, I don't know. I tried doing a story run through once. Read all the MSQ text and watched the movies through like 10 levels and thought it was bad. Game is great but they are really bad at telling stories or making you care about the stories.

• 1Picard

Cybsled

It's also a great marketing gimmick. Hard to get stuff becomes more desirable.

When retail WoW launched in
2004, they had limited boxes as well. I remember it was a really hot holiday item and if I recall, there wasn’t a large product supply until right around Xmas or shortly thereafter

Goonsquad Officer
Yeah, I don't know. I tried doing a story run through once. Read all the MSQ text and watched the movies through like 10 levels and thought it was bad. Game is great but they are really bad at telling stories or making you care about the stories.
yea ARR is super clunky. it's really just a massive amount of worldbuilding that the rest of the expansions set their stories on. plus the voice acting and mechanima is kind of meh. heavensward is a really great story. SB is okay , with great highpoints. SHB/EW are pretty excelent. but you have to actually want to watch the story. if you grumble and pout and sit through them with a grumpy facce, i can't imagine enjoying that.

10 levels of MSQ isn't a good yardstick. that would be like judging wow by the newbiezone. heh i would suggest that the ARR story doesn't get 'interesting' till around 30. and you may care about whats happening by around 50. they really should go re-do the early game quests with the new team. same story beats but better presentation.

anyone who was traumatized by the awfulness of ARR's story, i always suggest watching a youtuber sum up ARR (which may be an hour or three of listening). THEN start heavensward.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Reminder that we'll be doing FoH 2nd trial boss extreme runs on discord in 4 hours from this post. I'll lead on discord and I am a certified 2nd trial boss god, so victory is assured!

Anyone on Aether is welcome regardless of gear or experience. Have heal and dps slots available.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Looking forward to data center visits so I can play with y’all. I’m oh Crystal, which kinda sucks, but at least the queues aren’t like the other data centers.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
And now I'm reconsidering coming back to this game even though it never really clicked for me.
For lots of people the game clicked only on their second or third attempt. Preach had a really good analogy:

"It's a lot like anal sex. You can't rush things or it will hurt"

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users