Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
  • 1Worf
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Free Stormblood expansion, currently only EU but I guess NA in like 10-30mins or so. Will likely be rolled baseline in 6.5 or 6.55 or so(or maybe in 7.0 I forgot when they did that for HW).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
After a sojourn to WoW for WOTLK classic until my guild disintegrated followed by some other random shit like Hogwarts, Metroid Dread, and some home improvement work, I’m back on this. I’m 5-6 quests from shadowbringers. I hope someone murders Hien. I just don’t like him. I pretty much hate all of Stormblood. I’m hopeful it’s the weakest xpac.

italica

Trakanon Raider
After a sojourn to WoW for WOTLK classic until my guild disintegrated followed by some other random shit like Hogwarts, Metroid Dread, and some home improvement work, I’m back on this. I’m 5-6 quests from shadowbringers. I hope someone murders Hien. I just don’t like him. I pretty much hate all of Stormblood. I’m hopeful it’s the weakest xpac.

It is. It was a bit of a step down from Heavensward in pacing and storytelling.

Shadowbringers is a wild ride I wish I could play again for the first time.

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
It's also one of the more violent expacs unless the next two expacs after step it up - fortunately I know little to nothing about ShB and EW.

Caeden

It's also one of the more violent expacs unless the next two expacs after step it up - fortunately I know little to nothing about ShB and EW.
Stormblood? I don’t know if I’d consider it violent. Almost too much talking and not enough violence. I’m hopeful that the next two xpacs can tighten up the story and bring on more a rhino.

Cybsled

Stormblood does have a lot of people getting shot multiple times or stabbed in cutscenes, so I presume that is what they are referring to violence wise.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Don't worry about Hien, you don't really see him again outside of an optional quest in Endwalker.

There's a cool dungeon in Endwalker where you see a bunch of the other Stormblood characters again and it's kind of a Stormblood epilogue.

They also pay off Stormblood big in Endwalker so while it did kind of suck in places (it made me quit the game for a year lol) you will be rewarded.

Cybsled

This made me laugh from the event this year

1679975780428.png

Caeden

Don't worry about Hien, you don't really see him again outside of an optional quest in Endwalker.

There's a cool dungeon in Endwalker where you see a bunch of the other Stormblood characters again and it's kind of a Stormblood epilogue.

They also pay off Stormblood big in Endwalker so while it did kind of suck in places (it made me quit the game for a year lol) you will be rewarded.
I think the devs need to learn brevity. I did enjoy Gaius popping back in but with my tendency to play a few weeks then put it down, sometimes these callbacks are very “who?” Then I have to google. I dunno.

Game spends too much time telling and not showing but as I work through the last patch of Stormblood and into Shadowbringers, there’s a hint of a great story there.

• 1Like

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
The post stormblood stuff seems alot to do. It almost felt like a grind, but I just finished off the raids, Hilibrand quests and now just working on my eureka relic.

Cybsled

I think the devs need to learn brevity. I did enjoy Gaius popping back in but with my tendency to play a few weeks then put it down, sometimes these callbacks are very “who?” Then I have to google. I dunno.

They usually give some refreshers for more obscure character callbacks, although I do like how they at least acknowledge your character met them before. WoW used to do that, then sort of abandoned those callbacks and pretended you weren’t there. Although my understanding is for the new Vancleef/Onyxia thing, they might acknowledge you were there if you actually did those quests before they got removed? That would giga trigger me if they didn’t

Caeden

Last night other than a dungeon run I spent the entire playtime watching people talk. I was ready to welcome collecting a bear ass or two at that point. More stories need to be told in duties, etc.

It’s a style thing but I feel it’s way worse here than in the mainline FFs I’ve played (1, 4-7, 9). Gives me pause for 16 which I wanted to get. I also picked up a copy of 12 on the cheap.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Last night other than a dungeon run I spent the entire playtime watching people talk. I was ready to welcome collecting a bear ass or two at that point. More stories need to be told in duties, etc.

It’s a style thing but I feel it’s way worse here than in the mainline FFs I’ve played (1, 4-7, 9). Gives me pause for 16 which I wanted to get. I also picked up a copy of 12 on the cheap.
Yeah it's the worst part of the game.

Story starts ramping up during Shadowbringers and most of Endwalker is great.

They do have more story duties and dungeons going forward. Holminster Switch is soon and a great story dungeon.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
They usually give some refreshers for more obscure character callbacks, although I do like how they at least acknowledge your character met them before.

This is actually one of my favorite parts of 14. Doing X Class quest or Storyline and someone you met before throws in an extra line of dialogue about it. Like I've been leveling crafters and if you get sent to a different guildmaster, they will mention "oh, youre branching out I see" or something like that. Or, if you've done the White Mage quests, the few times you encounter a Padjal outside the Twelveswood, they will recognize you and speak to you differently.

There are a lot of these all over, and they really do a good job making it feel like, yes, I am the god damn warrior of light.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

16's gonna be way different I'd assume, combat being action and the game being a single player 30-40h one-time(for many ppl) thing, this is a mmo where they can afford to pad the dialogues because you only get like an hour of story every 3.5months, plus it reduces the costs.

No reason to preorder though, you can just wait for the game to release and watch someone play the first few hours(although the first couple of hours in pretty much any JRPG tend to be extremely frontloaded with exposition and dialogues so might not be super representative of the full game's pace). I know that's likely what I'll be doing, even though I'll definitely grab it eventually but if it doesn't look super appealing on release, I might just wait 2024 for the innevitable PC release instead.

Cybsled

There are a lot of these all over, and they really do a good job making it feel like, yes, I am the god damn warrior of light.

Ultimate form of that is that one scene at the docks in Endwalker where the factions of people showing up is directly related to all the side raids and zones you completed. Was pretty cool because it really showed the scope of all the stuff you did on your character and how many factions wanted to help pay you back in your time of need

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah it's the worst part of the game.

Story starts ramping up during Shadowbringers and most of Endwalker is great.

They do have more story duties and dungeons going forward. Holminster Switch is soon and a great story dungeon.

Not sure which part of SB we're talking about. Post 2.0 content is worst part of the game, really, although the trimming has helped some.

Frankly, 4.3-4.5 is some of the best stuff in SB, and a tremendous lead up into Shadowbringers. Granted, even I forgot about a lot of the cutscenes, etc, from when I originally played it back in SB. Watching streamers play through MSQ, though, it's really crazy how good/important/more meaning a lot of those have after you've played through 5.0 and 6.0.

• 1Like