Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
If you want people to play with - join the FOH clan on Gilgamesh!
I loaded it up on my ps5, logged in, and then went to bed. Then I was sick yesterday, so I have lost 2 of the 4 days already lol. sigh... I will make a new character on Gilgamesh this evening though.

I'm still heavily addicted to Lord of the Rings Online, so I'm just dabbling in FFXIV again to see if it hooks me at all.

Cybsled

Live Letter part 1 was this morning. Not a massive amount of news. 6.4 late May, new relic steps for crafting and Hildi. For the Tataru quest, you need to have done the ShB ruby/emerald/diamond weapons trials through completion. Golbez trial and new dungeon. Also a new Criterion Dungeon (don’t have to fully beat the current one to do it). Blue Mage up to 80 now. Current PvP track rewards will change on 6.4 launch

They are enabling outdoor furniture on Island Sanctuary, with the exception of training dummies and gardens. 90 slots

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
What are these Tataru quests and what is the reward? It says it's locked behind some optional Stormblood trials (4 Lords?) I haven't done and I have no idea if it's worth doing.

Cybsled

They are just some side content in EW that provides some small epilogue content on previous side stories, like Void Ark pirates, 4 Lords, and now the weapons trials.

4 Lords in Stormblood is a decent trial tier. In fact, usually i recommend unlocking all the side trials in expacs if you like boss fights. The stories can be hit or miss at times, although they provide some memorable scenes (Burn out the bad!) and the trials have good music (like the infamous “Big Fat Tacos” song)

• 1Like

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
How is the addon situation nowadays? The only one I used a lot was a combo helper which combined combo buttons into a single one. Also the dps logger just to compare my performance.

Cybsled

I don’t use any, but there was a big issue semi recently where the gshade add on or whatever had a Trojan malware hidden in it and people freaked out. One of the Ultimate world first clear guilds were using cheat addons and SquareEnix started to get mad and banned some people

They have been slowly adding some add on features to the base UI, though

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How is the addon situation nowadays? The only one I used a lot was a combo helper which combined combo buttons into a single one. Also the dps logger just to compare my performance.
Effectively same as before, don't talk about it/don't stream/post screenshots of it and you're good.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
for me there are 4 mandatory addons

combo - only morons are willingly pushing 4-5 different buttons when there's a way to map them all to one

camera zoom out - I'm not a console fag, I need a proper zoom out. In Cammy it's currently set to 40. So it's not some game breaking zoom out. I think the default is either 20 or 25. It's basically what wow max zoom is.

dps meter - I need to see my numbers, and how much I suck (I apparently suck a lot)

chat bubbles - who looks at their chat box? I can understand the dev stance on damage meters but refusing to add chat bubbles if completely fucking retarded. It's like in PoE Chris refuses to implement ingame trading.

Last edited:

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
for me there are 4 mandatory addons

combo - only morons are willingly pushing 4-5 different buttons when there's a way to map them all to one

camera zoom out - I'm not a console fag, I need a proper zoom out. In Cammy it's currently set to 40. So it's not some game breaking zoom out. I think the default is either 20 or 25. It's basically what wow max zoom is.

dps meter - I need to see my numbers, and how much I suck (I apparently suck a lot)

chat bubbles - who looks at their chat box? I can understand the dev stance on damage meters but refusing to add chat bubbles if completely fucking retarded. It's like in PoE Chris refuses to implement ingame trading.
The chat box is second nature to me since the days of Everquest and I kind of turned chat bubbles off when the WoW addons started spamming and increasing screen clutter so it's not a big deal for me.

Combo is a must-have for me. I literally can't play any DPS job without it as I leveled them up after getting combo. (Also Gunbreaker and Warrior).

Dps meter - My first 90 when Endwalker launched was my machinist. Despite the log sites saying they were dead last, in PUGs I was way ahead of pretty much every other dps so it was a nice boost to my ego.

Unfortunately, the devs have gone overboard on the toxicity ban. It was staggering how bad some dps from my own guild (linkpearl?) were. One guy had every job and crafting to 80 and was leveling them up to 90 and his dps was just shit in every job. I could do random combo sequences on a SAM and do more but he thought he was hot shit because of all his 80s and 90s. I couldn't even point out how bad his dps actually was. :p

Chris

Potato del Grande
They are just some side content in EW that provides some small epilogue content on previous side stories, like Void Ark pirates, 4 Lords, and now the weapons trials.

4 Lords in Stormblood is a decent trial tier. In fact, usually i recommend unlocking all the side trials in expacs if you like boss fights. The stories can be hit or miss at times, although they provide some memorable scenes (Burn out the bad!) and the trials have good music (like the infamous “Big Fat Tacos” song)
Thanks, thought I had done them all but I guess I missed Stormblood. I've done Warring Triad and the Weapons from Heavensward/Shadowbringers which where pretty good.

Cybsled

Unfortunately, the devs have gone overboard on the toxicity ban. It was staggering how bad some dps from my own guild (linkpearl?) were. One guy had every job and crafting to 80 and was leveling them up to 90 and his dps was just shit in every job. I could do random combo sequences on a SAM and do more but he thought he was hot shit because of all his 80s and 90s. I couldn't even point out how bad his dps actually was.

Leveing classes unto themselves isn't that hard and you don't really need to be that great to get them to 80/90/etc. I had a max level white mage and I can't heal for shit - I mostly just got it leveled because I wanted to unlock the role quests that require a healer.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Healing isn't too bad, but took me a long while to get it, multiple expansions even.

I remember posting here that I only healed and never did DPS because I was in the WoW spam heal mindset and running out of mana, I got called out hard.

Generally boss damage is fairly predictable in that the tank gets auto attacks which regen/fairy/kardia will heal, then the tank or raid will get a telegraphed big damage ability once every 10+ seconds which can be countered by 1-2 of your abilities.

So then it's just a matter of managing your Mana regen abilities to have the mana to dps inbetween or heal people who fuck menchanics.

You can also get fancy and use the right abilities to mitigate damage.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
For some reason I thought addons were a huge no no. But I casual it up so far and haven’t felt the need to get poopsocky like in wow.

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
For some reason I thought addons were a huge no no. But I casual it up so far and haven’t felt the need to get poopsocky like in wow.
Well, each class has like 33-35 abilities and a lot of them get used in rotations frequently. For me the 1 through 0 keys without CTRL/ALT/SHIFT modifiers were at a premium because using the modifiers was giving me wrist strain in an extended session. SAM had like 3 different combo actions for example, which needed 8 keys (3 + 3 + 2 combos) along with a bunch of other CDs and stuff.

The combo addon just let me put all combos on the main bar and free up 5 keys. Similar issue with the MCH except there you had to weave off-GCD actions with GCD keys and it was possible to ruin the sequence if you were a bit slow. With the combo addon, I could just tap a single key and get it over with.

In Shadowbringers, when you play the gunbreaker fight against Ranj'it, they actually put those combos into single keys btw.

• 1Like

Krowbar

Molten Core Raider
There's some Japanese law that says they can't do scans on our local PCs. The only way they can get you is if you're posting streams or talking about it in game chat. If you're just using combo, you used to be ok but I haven't played in a year so I don't know if that has changed.

Seems some malware was found recently in an add-on which is a big concern for me.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I would guess that they will make combo base UI for some abilities (like Gunbreaker) in the next expansion, they are at the limit for the regular cross hotbar on console and they already made it for duties and PvP.