Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
How tough were the raids or what game would you guys say they most closely paralleled in the previous version?

Saw Sythrak mention a relic weapon quest as well, can someone give me the name of a previous one so I can see what it entailed to quest for?

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
How tough were the raids or what game would you guys say they most closely paralleled in the previous version?

Saw Sythrak mention a relic weapon quest as well, can someone give me the name of a previous one so I can see what it entailed to quest for?
I don't have a good comparison off the top of my head for 1.0's 8-man content. Maybe 10-man WoW raiding, but that doesn't sit well in my mind, for some reason.

As to relic weapons, Ithinkthis is one example, but I could be having the wrong kind in my head entirely:http://xivdb.com/?item/2052/Thyrus

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm

No one knows how the raids are in the new ff14 because they haven't played it afaik. I would say it is close to a slow wow. I think if I was to judge wow at level 30 I might also call that a slow wow. I don't mean this in a bad way and I don't really mean it in any way. You have classes, levels, quests and dailies. If you like MMORPGS then I think you will enjoy this. I played one class, a healer, to level 24. Very basic, slow and unless I had a Glad that just really didn't bother looking at his skills it was quite easy and tbh it was still easy but I had downtime. Some quests could be hard but that was mainly because I wasn't doing them correctly I guess? The AI of level 4 mobs are not going to give you nightmares. The first 3 dungeons are not equal to heroic 25 man raids and the combat is pretty slowly paced for the first 15 levels. This is your basic MMO with a final fantasy setting and I love it.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
Are normal groups 8 man? Or is 8 man special?
Not-quite special. The game supports three types and we've been shown examples of content for each:

Light Party - 4 man (early instances and guildhests utilize this)
Full Party - 8 man (we've seen screenshots of at least 2 L50 instances with this, one of which a Primal and another a dungeon with Demon Wall as a mini-boss <- hawt)
"Alliance" - 24 man raid

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I should clarify one thing: we don't know if P4 will have literally everything content wise (storyline quests, etc.). Also, in P3 you were halted at the L20 range for the storyline, with a level cap of 35. They could very well still have that in P4.

So I wouldn't necessarily plan on trying for 50 on a class rather than use the time to set up for launch/EA when the guinea pigs flood out into the world.
I think P4 will be short enough that it doesn't matter, and they won't bother capping anything. I'm expecting P4 to be just a Fri. morning - Sun. morning thing (but not this weekend), followed by a few days gap, and then the pre-order headstart. I guess we'll know for sure tomorrow, which should be around midnight tonight US time if they stick to doing things by Japan time.

If they do cap it for some reason, best bet would probably be to get to 20 on your main class, then get the grunt work grinding your two subclasses to 15 out of the way. That would be easy to do in a weekend, assuming you're able to play the first day.

Sythrak_sl

shitlord
8 man groups are generally reserved for high level primals/dungeon content....I'm sure there will be more. They've also stated they want to bring in a few special 4 man encounters but weren't very specific about it other than a vague dungeon reference.

The relic quests won't be raid content, at least for the normal ones. That will stay 8 man at most. I don't know what's involved for the +1 versions. Took about about a week or less of hardcore playing to acquire one normal relic in 1.0, it'll probably be even faster in 2.0 once people figure out what has changed. If I had to be honest, alot of the encounters in 1.0 the difficulty stemmed from fighting against their god awful engine, but there were some that were good like the Nael fight.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
I think P4 will be short enough that it doesn't matter, and they won't bother capping anything. I'm expecting P4 to be just a Fri. morning - Sun. morning thing, followed by a few days gap, and then the pre-order headstart. I guess we'll know for sure tomorrow (maybe by around midnight tonight US time) though.

If they do cap it for some reason, best bet would probably be to get to 20 on your main class, then get the grunt work grinding your two subclasses to 15 out of the way. That would be easy to do in a weekend, assuming you're able to play the first day.
Yeah (to the class grinding).

We'll have the full details in about 18 hours from this writing anyway. I'd be surprised if they just did one weekend for P4 when previous talk has been 7 days straight. They'll want the time to make sure Arcanist works - DPS output, pets functional, etc. - as well as give as much time as possible for hammering the servers (and duty finder tech I'll wager).

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think P4 will be short enough that it doesn't matter, and they won't bother capping anything. I'm expecting P4 to be just a Fri. morning - Sun. morning thing (but not this weekend), followed by a few days gap, and then the pre-order headstart. I guess we'll know for sure tomorrow, which should be around midnight tonight US time if they stick to doing things by Japan time.

so far theyve been pretty good to sticking to the roadmap and phase 4 is 1-2 weeks on it. I would expect to get 1 week for phase 4.

Amycus

Lord Nagafen Raider

Do you need 2 classes at lvl 15 for jobs? Or just the main class at 30 and 1 class at 15?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
We don't know the answer to that yet, but it would make sense to require both sub-classes at 15.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Do you need 2 classes at lvl 15 for jobs? Or just the main class at 30 and 1 class at 15?
Main at 30, sub at 15. You can pick spells from your main, your sub and one more(which can be lvl 1, doesn't matter, but you're not gonna get anything from it if you don't lvl it obviously).

Edit: Well yeah we don't actually know for sure, that's how it worked before.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So uh, how do you actually apply a game key to your square account?
Have to go through the Accounts Management login, not the facebook Square Enix login. They will presumably be opening up preorder codes to be entered this week (the XXXXXX-###-XXXXXX-### codes) and actual game keys will be emailed out for release day on the 27th.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Yeah for some reason my account was in some kinda limbo, logged in through their support site and had to fill in some more things to make it possible to buy the game.

Vilmz_sl

shitlord
With the Wildstar testing being pushed back for a while, this is the perfect window to put some serious time in this game. Can't wait! Already have two characters waiting to be imported from the benchmark.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
Have to go through the Accounts Management login, not the facebook Square Enix login. They will presumably be opening up preorder codes to be entered this week (the XXXXXX-###-XXXXXX-### codes) and actual game keys will be emailed out for release day on the 27th.
Mine came yesterday, with another one specifically for early acces and some digital pet stuff? ( no ce or anything not sure what that's for, preordering maybe) today. Bought mine from best buy fwiw.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If I haven't been in/signed up for any betas, what is the easiest way to get into beta/early access/playing asap?
beta sign ups should start again when the servers go up for phase 4. sign up for them when it does, or find someone who played the original ffxiv and isnt playing this one...then ask for his account.