Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Slacker242

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not sure I understand the complaints for P4 level cap. It's open beta. It's not the release. It's not even the early access. Now if someone says the early access is capped at 20 then I will be right there with you all but for open beta being miffed is just silly.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Doesn't really bother me at all, I'll just get CNJ to 20 and THM/ACN to 15+ and call it good enough. Maybe get some of the early Botany slog out of the way if there's time leftover.

sike

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's just worrying because it could have implications as to the game being severely unfinished...

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
It's just worrying because it could have implications as to the game being severely unfinished...
Yea this is my main concern. One of the downsides to having fast leveling (and in this case, people starting at max) is it allows you no time to patch in end game content.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
after watching the live letter, im going to pass on the game. I wanted to get to end game in the open beta to see what was there as its been my biggest concern throughout. Now not only will I not get a chance to do that, but they are making raids easy enough that you can pug through them. This game isnt for me. Good luck guys.

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
One of the nerfs to content from P3 that's already pretty obvious is what happened with cure spells. Healing was already easy as shit (to the point that you could DPS hard most of the time), and the heal potency was increaseddrastically. I'm going to be more than a little annoyed if the game gets nerfed to the point where only hard mode raids are challenging. Ugh.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
One of the nerfs to content from P3 that's already pretty obvious is what happened with cure spells. Healing was already easy as shit (to the point that you could DPS hard most of the time), and the heal potency was increaseddrastically. I'm going to be more than a little annoyed if the game gets nerfed to the point where only hard mode raids are challenging. Ugh.
I know, read that and chuckled. The amount of QQ'ing about CNJ doing DPS during dungeons was already hilarious. Now with healing being even easier we'll be expected to do less.

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
The screwed up thing is that some of the most enjoyable stuff from P3 came from the things that were hard. I'm guessing it's been obliterated by the nerfbat now, but the level 15 story quest was a lot of fun. It had just enough challenge to make you think about what was going on and go in with a strategy, but it was no where close to impossible. Unfortunately, the stream of QQs from people who didn't faceroll it first time was enough to cause nerfs. Sad.

Vorph

L15 quest was annoying and tedious rather than truly difficult at 14-15, and trivial at 16 (which required grinding). I welcome the nerfbat. The one with the moogle who healed you while you killed (read: kited for 20 minutes as a CNJ) a bunch of lancer bandits that interrupted casters 100% of the time on each hit was even more irritating.

Jaybee

L15 quest was annoying and tedious rather than truly difficult at 14-15, and trivial at 16 (which required grinding). I welcome the nerfbat. The one with the moogle who healed you while you killed (read: kited for 20 minutes as a CNJ) a bunch of lancer bandits that interrupted casters 100% of the time on each hit was even more irritating.
If you consider going from level 15 to 16 in this game "grinding," then just hang it up. Also if you were kiting mobs for 20 minutes as a CNJ at any time during the storyline, you were doing something very, very wrong.

I can't really get any concrete info from the FF forums because they make my eyes bleed, but if end-game raiding is PUG-able, then this game is toast. Only people left after month 2 will be the furries.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you consider going from level 15 to 16 in this game "grinding," then just hang it up. Also if you were kiting mobs for 20 minutes as a CNJ at any time during the storyline, you were doing something very, very wrong.

I can't really get any concrete info from the FF forums because they make my eyes bleed, but if end-game raiding is PUG-able, then this game is toast. Only people left after month 2 will be the furries.
and the playstation players. Game will succeed alone off of that.

Vorph

Some exaggeration, obviously. I justreallyhate the forced-solo shit, as strange as that might sound for someone to say about a 2013 MMO. I never touch a healing class except when I know I will be duoing 100% of the time with a friend I've been playing MMOs with since '99, and it's exacerbated here because I find CNJ soloing about as fun as soloing an EQ Cleric in '99 was. Duoing and grouping the class is fine though, so I put up with the shit I don't like (and occasionally bitch about it here).

Regarding the kiting, it was nearly impossible to get off a Stone cast against those lancers when I did the quest, and this was also before Aero was changed from "complete dogshit" to "occasionally worth casting".

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
Are you talking about class quests or the story quest?

I played CNJ from 15-22 and I can see how it could be kind of aggravating at times, especially if you had to solo more than just the hunting log. I had no problem with the class quests, though.

Jaybee

Well if you really hate being forced to solo, then yeah, I get it.

What is up with this rumor that 24-man raids won't be released until November? Did someone botch the translation or are people exaggerating?

Sythrak_sl

shitlord
Just have a garbled translation but it looks like Crystal Tower wont be in till November, and Bahamuts Lair is apparently an 8 man "raid". Pretty anti-climatic.

Vorph

Are you talking about class quests or the story quest?

I played CNJ from 15-22 and I can see how it could be kind of aggravating at times, especially if you had to solo more than just the hunting log. I had no problem with the class quests, though.
Story quests, specifically the solo instances. I finished the story stuff the first weekend of P3, when things were considerably worse than they are now. Hopefully it won't be an issue at all in P4/release, but who knows what the 20-50 story missions will throw at us. CNJ is pretty decent at dps the first few levels you have Stone II, but that tapers off and by 35 I felt the class was rather weak again when I had to kill something by myself.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
We should play on Gilgamesh - it seems to be set to be the most crowded non-legacy NA server.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have any experience with Pugilist? Thinking about buying this, but if the melee dps class stinks I'll probably pass. Hard to find any concrete info on this as well - like if I buy this now/pre-order, will I be able to get into P4 Beta? I hope that if choosing the Pugilist as my class, there will be other jobs from it opening up later (outside of Monk).