Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
Does the pre-order show up on the account page or do we just assume everything worked out? I put in the code, got the raau code on the next page, followed the link and typed it in but I didn't get an e-mail nor is it on my square enix account page :O

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Does the pre-order show up on the account page or do we just assume everything worked out? I put in the code, got the raau code on the next page, followed the link and typed it in but I didn't get an e-mail nor is it on my square enix account page :O
Same and it has me nervous but it went through to confirm page pretty smoothly.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
i just preorderd. my friend who was inbeta said he couldnt make charson gilgamesh. was this just a temp block or is the server at max capactity?
Its not just Gilgamesh, over half of the servers at least at one time during the open beta locked out any new characters being made on it. At open beta launch, gilg and levi both had lock outs on them. Took me about an hour and a half to make a character and get rolling.

If you're wondering why this is done, its to force the random casual person that does not have people they want to play with to go elsewhere to play. And it works alot better then login queues do, which are also in the game. So yeah, if you/your friend do not have the patience to wait it out, roll up on another server. But if you're expecting anyone to want to herd those type of cats into a guild? Good luck.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
I tried last couple days with error 3 constantly including just now when I came home at lunch. Tried internet explorer and it worked on the first try. My code (12 digits) however is for PS3 - ordered through Amazon. I won't play on the PS3 much but wanted the CE stuff and I already owned 1.0 PC. I was able to redeem it on using redeem codes in the Playstation store on my console. I can also see it on my PSN > Account Management. Now who knows if this will properly link up come Saturday morning! I did already link my PSN and SE accounts via P4 beta though so hopefully I'm golden. We'll see (I doubt it.)

Hope that helps someone!

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
If you really want to roll on the server, you'll get on. It just may take some time. If you don't care that much, there will probably be other servers to log onto (unless it's like Saturday night where they locked all NA servers).
Yes this sucked. As others have said if you want to get on a server do it when they come up... I got on to Excalibur Friday morning but rerolled, rather attempted. The server was locked the entire rest of the weekend. I checked roughly every 20minutes to 1 hour, even through the night and it never was unlocked even up to when they shut beta down.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anecdotal is anecdotal, but mine worked just fine first attempt this morning. Granted, the site was still slow as balls, but I guess that is just something we'll have to put up with. Like rerolled.org and random database error pages!

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Awesome, thanks for the advice bro's. Spammed the key site for like 10 minutes, beat the error 3 and got my new RAAU code, worked.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
Still getting Error 3, even after logging out/in and clearing cache. 25 or 30 times so far...
If you aren't already give Internet Explorer a shot. As mentioned worked for me on the first attempt after a ton of error 3 in Chrome (my default.) Of course you could spit over your left shoulder and it might work to the way things are setup!

Its not just Gilgamesh, over half of the servers at least at one time during the open beta locked out any new characters being made on it. At open beta launch, gilg and levi both had lock outs on them. Took me about an hour and a half to make a character and get rolling.

If you're wondering why this is done, its to force the random casual person that does not have people they want to play with to go elsewhere to play. And it works alot better then login queues do, which are also in the game. So yeah, if you/your friend do not have the patience to wait it out, roll up on another server. But if you're expecting anyone to want to herd those type of cats into a guild? Good luck.

ill wait then, trust me i want to roll with you guys. the way i understood it was it was full for a long time. if it opens up throughout the day ill be fine. if it takes a week then ya ill probably roll somewhere else.

also where are the main redditors and goons going. ive seen multiple posts stating different servers such as cactaur, lev, and gilgamesh.

Angry Amadeus_sl

shitlord
This game wont rival WoW, it probably wont even make 1/4th the sales WoW did. In it's current form the game is unpolished, so that argument is kind of invalid. The movements are clunky and don't respond properly, the quest UI is horrendously fucked up, the cut scenes are mind numblingly tedious and uneventful, and probably worst of all, the armor looks like dog shit early on I understand that armor should be lacking at early levels. But come on, olive colored oven mitts? Piss yellow robes that flare out at the bottom? Jesus christ.
Yeah, but then again people (lots of folks here included) are describing this shit as the second coming. I really haven't felt this much love for a game since EQ or vanilla WoW, and I've played everything in the hopes of recreating that magic. I can only chalk it up to the fact that there is such a strong traditional FF vibe - from the music to the characters - and that takes me back a ways.

So in turn I'm telling my friends about it.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
also where are the main redditors and goons going. ive seen multiple posts stating different servers such as cactaur, lev, and gilgamesh.
There were some Goons in area chat having an argument with some Gay guild on Gilgamesh near Gridania last weekend (apparently Gilgamesh is the main LGBT server). I hear Goons are on more than one server though.

Doesn't seem like many EU have joined us on Gilgamesh looking at the google doc roster. Might be up to do some hard core leveling if we can get 4 EU folk together.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I want to say Goons for the most part went elsewhere. I was pretty nervous when we were first talking about Gilgamesh in this thread and it sounded like Goons would be rolling there too. But someone mentioned that they went somewhere else. I know Gilgamesh is the official Reddit server, though.

And I agree with you AA. I think if this game wasn't an IP, I'd probably enjoy it less. But, for instance, the first time I got on a chocobo and heard that music, it brought back FF memories. Who knows how long that'll all last, but for the open beta I fucking loved every minute of it.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Even if you tell a community like reddit or goons "go here, we'll be there" they will have a large amount of people that just wont want to wait it out. Unless they really want to play with people they know for sure are on the server. The staggering amount of users on either site will force them to split up at some point if not at the very start into at least 2-3 servers.

Besides, its no longer open beta. People have to actually pay to get in now, and that should help reduce some of the bullshit.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I want to say Goons for the most part went elsewhere. I was pretty nervous when we were first talking about Gilgamesh in this thread and it sounded like Goons would be rolling there too. But someone mentioned that they went somewhere else. I know Gilgamesh is the official Reddit server, though.

And I agree with you AA. I think if this game wasn't an IP, I'd probably enjoy it less. But, for instance, the first time I got on a chocobo and heard that music, it brought back FF memories. Who knows how long that'll all last, but for the open beta I fucking loved every minute of it.
Goons are on Excalibur officially - which was locked for basically the entire open beta period.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
wow. that video with the dungeons was amazing and varied. The dragon landing was sweet. That so far blows away any recent mmos dungeons it's just silly. Regardless of gameplay shittiness, square definitely knows environment design

Young_sl

shitlord
Haven't spent a lot of time looking at this game yet but I have always enjoyed the FF job system.

I like this quote:

Months out from launch, around patch 2.2 or 2.3 from what I understand, Square Enix will add "Frontlines" to ARR. This form of PvP will more closely resemble the Realm vs. Realm combat you may have enjoyed in Dark Age of Camelot or Warhammer Online. Heck, Square Enix is even doing three faction PvP with Frontlines.
That won me over, will have to give this game a shot now. Anything but BG's or Arena is fun PvP.. open scale, you just can't beat it.

I also agree about the Bard changes, I love playing a support character over DPS and Bard in DAoC was my favourite class of any game.

Junun

Silver Knight of the Realm
Was just watching this video and seeing changes that I had no idea about. Really disappointed in the bard changes. I was really hoping for a FFXI support bard, not a range DPS. Now I'm reconsidering what I want to focus on first.