Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
You guys are getting very close to breaking NDAs. Stop please.
What is the worst that could happen really? Could this site actually be sued or something? I guess I just don't take eastern MMO NDA's nearly as seriously, we've seen plenty of ArcheAge info leaked.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
What draws people to mmo's these days?

It's pretty pretty graphics and the ability to choose a bajillion character customization options. Modern MMO's have basically degenerated into playing with digital dolls and action figures.

Except when I played with my G.I Joes in the sandbox... people died. Guys got their arms blown off. There were massive battlefields with craters and vehicle damage. It was brutal... we even had a few state funerals for the ones that were too far gone. So yeah, modern mmo's are weak even by 1st grade standards.

As for people bitching about FFXIV being boring... I remember them stating that the level cap was going to be higher than the initial amount of content in early beta. The level cap is like 30 something and the content stops around 20 something... So yeah, if you try and grind out 10 levels on old content, it is absolutely guaranteed to suck.

There needs to be a niche project that creates a really dark, gritty, survival horror setting. Shit should be relentless and hard and force people to band together or die. Sort of like these online zombie survival games. That game would get some attention and draw in the masochists like bees to the flame or moths to honey.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
What draws people to mmo's these days?

It's pretty pretty graphics and the ability to choose a bajillion character customization options. Modern MMO's have basically degenerated into playing with digital dolls and action figures.

Except when I played with my G.I Joes in the sandbox... people died. Guys got their arms blown off. There were massive battlefields with craters and vehicle damage. It was brutal... we even had a few state funerals for the ones that were too far gone. So yeah, modern mmo's are weak even by 1st grade standards.

As for people bitching about FFXIV being boring... I remember them stating that the level cap was going to be higher than the initial amount of content in early beta. The level cap is like 30 something and the content stops around 20 something... So yeah, if you try and grind out 10 levels on old content, it is absolutely guaranteed to suck.

There needs to be a niche project that creates a really dark, gritty, survival horror setting. Shit should be relentless and hard and force people to band together or die. Sort of like these online zombie survival games. That game would get some attention and draw in the masochists like bees to the flame or moths to honey.
But atleast in FFXIV you have mithra again, so it will have lots of cat poop just like a real sandbox.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What is the worst that could happen really? Could this site actually be sued or something? I guess I just don't take eastern MMO NDA's nearly as seriously, we've seen plenty of ArcheAge info leaked.
It's not about the repercussions but Draegan pointed out before he'd like to keep the forum NDA compliant so devs are at least tempted to come talk about their games and what not like FoH back in the days.

And Archeage isn't under NDA anymore I believe?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Don't worry, SE devs won't come here because they don't listen to their playerbase. Not even 1%. Besides, we're not Japs.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
And Archeage isn't under NDA anymore I believe?
You're in the FFXIV thread.
biggrin.png

biggrin.png

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
NDA's only matter if the game is good. If it sucks, people will be breaking it hardcore lol. Either way, If I had my name attached to a board I'd probably not want it to take place either.

Tide27_sl

shitlord
Yes, because we all know what the devs have to say about their game is true. Devs posting on these boards and other boards that arent controlled by themselves is pointless. How many threads did we have back on FoH or whatever site where the devs came into a thread, pumped up the crowd with their insight, and then once the actual game was released we find out that 99% of what they said was complete bullshit.

I would much rather have someone that is playing the game at the time give their impressions over some developer doing nothing than running crowd control and putting a PR spin on whatever negative press is out there. Its happened with every major MMO released in the last decade.

Devs go onto a site and shill it up, game releases and its complete garbage.

I would much rather listen to someone playing the game with actual impressions than some developer.

We have found out time and time....and time again that most people that post impressions from a beta are right 99% of the time, and the devs posting to head off any negative press and state so and so is in alpha / beta / zeta stage and will be fixed by release are 99% lies.

To hell with catering to those people. If their game is good then let the positive spin catapult it to success, if a game is garbage then let it crash and burn without the hype the devs create.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Draegan runs the junkies network bros. Even though the community probably doesn't agree, it's perfectly reasonable for him to not want to host a forum full of beta leaks considering his other business.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Draegan runs the junkies network bros. Even though the community probably doesn't agree, it's perfectly reasonable for him to not want to host a forum full of beta leaks considering his other business.
This is true. His network, his rules.