Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

ZProtoss

Golden Squire
I'm not seeing the downside of letting people speak their minds on late development games "protected" by NDA. Seriously. Beta NDAs have been a joke for ages now, and if you look at the history of game releases, only awful games have maintained an NDA anywhere close to release.

Good games don't keep NDAs in public beta phases, because good gamesdon't need them. If your game is good, not having an NDA is entirely to your advantage and generates a lot of positive hype for your game. If your game is bad, NDAs are essentially a deception tactic to prevent the public from figuring out your game is in fact total shit. I'm not seeing how it benefits the consumer to respect the NDA at any level - you're just participating in a process that fucks other consumers.

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm
I was once in a beta. These said beta forums were filled with players saying how the game was gonna flop and how horrible it was. Everything was buggy and needed to be changed. Guess what game that was?

edit: Just realized you said open beta. Open beta has not started yet, and will be NDA free.

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was once in a beta. These said beta forums were filled with players saying how the game was gonna flop and how horrible it was. Everything was buggy and needed to be changed. Guess what game that was?
ive been in so many of them that i cant guess.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I thought he meant the first version of this game...
Oh I guess that kinda works too. But then he's just saying the same thing that was said before, so not sure why it matters, we all understand NDAs are often to hide shitty games.

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Game is the most linear MMO I've ever played and honestly feels more like a Final Fantasy than MMO or a Final Fantasy in an MMO setting.

...does this change at higher levels? Does the world open up? Or is it quest to quest to quest? It's not even a breadcrumb trail so much as being stuck in a tube that you must progress down.

Tonic_sl

shitlord
Game is the most linear MMO I've ever played and honestly feels more like a Final Fantasy than MMO or a Final Fantasy in an MMO setting.

...does this change at higher levels? Does the world open up? Or is it quest to quest to quest? It's not even a breadcrumb trail so much as being stuck in a tube that you must progress down.
Didn't play Neverwinter eh?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider

A friend of mine sent me this yesterday and I thought this was kind of cool. Many of you may have seen this or was even a part of it but I thought this was a nice touch. I can't help but like the fact the tied a story into the physical reboot of the game. There's another video that is about 40 minutes long with commentary. Anyway, just a find I thought I would share. I'm not going to deny it, unless something extremely bad comes out or I beta and see something myself to change my mind, i'm getting this game as my next MMO kick around.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
feels more like a Final Fantasy than MMO or a Final Fantasy in an MMO setting.
?

rrr_img_17739.jpg

rrr_img_17739.jpg

rrr_img_17739.jpg

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm not seeing the downside of letting people speak their minds on late development games "protected" by NDA. Seriously. Beta NDAs have been a joke for ages now, and if you look at the history of game releases, only awful games have maintained an NDA anywhere close to release.

Good games don't keep NDAs in public beta phases, because good gamesdon't need them. If your game is good, not having an NDA is entirely to your advantage and generates a lot of positive hype for your game. If your game is bad, NDAs are essentially a deception tactic to prevent the public from figuring out your game is in fact total shit. I'm not seeing how it benefits the consumer to respect the NDA at any level - you're just participating in a process that fucks other consumers.
I can appreciate where you are coming from but I can also see where it would be a good idea to enforce the NDA here. From Draegan's POV having developers come to your forums and talk about (or just shill) their games is massively beneficial to at least helping draw in viewers to pay the bills of running the forums. There are also non-financial reasons not the least of which is respect for the developers or potential legal costs.

And let us be honest here. These days if an MMO is actively enforcing it's NDA then you don't need any other signs to know it is shitty. But just in case you can look for the subtle clues like a single person posting entire pages on how good the game is and half a dozen others saying "myfriendsays you are wrong and the game is actually really bad"

Another clue is a complete lack of or very limited open beta.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Well good for us this game will have an open beta and your characers will carry over to release according to the roadmap. This game is definitely on rails though so don't expect it to save you from wow clones. It's not a straight clone. Has its own flavor. Just gonna wait until beta 3 or open beta to pass final judgment.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
Can anyone PM me a link to beta leak forums and or videos? I always enjoy seeing how a game progresses through beta. I already own it but I'd like to read about its state before beta 3 =)

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
that was 4 months ago.
I know... I didn't know that they had tied the physical reality of the game into a storyline. Thought it was a cool touch to the game that the end of the actual 1.0 servers lead to the cinematic and future of the game as we know now. Again, a friend had sent it to me because I had been talking about the game.

Mazim

Golden Knight of the Realm
And let us be honest here. These days if an MMO is actively enforcing it's NDA then you don't need any other signs to know it is shitty.
I cannot tell if posts like this are just trolling, or some of you actually think this? The reason these companies have NDA's is simple. 99% of the concerns of the beta forums, or here are by people who are misinformed, confused, or flat out lying. The main issues with beta phase 1 have not been posted here or even been mentioned. Don't get me wrong. I don't think this is the next big MMO, but it is a game worth playing, from what I have seen(Most of the game is not available for playing atm).