Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
AK + Coil + Primals is absolutely nothing compared to what WoW had at launch.
Ummm. Running UBRS 50 times to key up your guild for onyxia? Followed by 1 other raid zone with 10 bosses, 9 of which used models seen previously in the game on trash mobs during leveling content...

Let's not forget, that for the first 4! months of the game, you had to drag players through LBRS just to ZONE IN to Molten Core. 6! months until they revamped molten core loot to be better than dungeon blues... and changed it so that Molten core no longer dropped 2 different tiers of gear in the same raid zone.

Let's not forget that those same 10 bosses were the only endgame content for 11 months straight.... 11!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!

You've got some seriously rose-tinted glasses.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Ummm. Running UBRS 50 times to key up your guild for onyxia? Followed by 1 other raid zone with 10 bosses, 9 of which used models seen previously in the game on trash mobs during leveling content...

Let's not forget, that for the first 4! months of the game, you had to drag players through LBRS just to ZONE IN to Molten Core. 6! months until they revamped molten core loot to be better than dungeon blues... and changed it so that Molten core no longer dropped 2 different tiers of gear in the same raid zone.

Let's not forget that those same 10 bosses were the only endgame content for 11 months straight.... 11!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!

Yeah, but WoW was a novel enough departure from EQ to still be amazing as fuck to carry during the boring times. FF isn't.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Not sure if you meant this as a joke, but this is actually what we've been doing. If AK is a 45 minute queue and a 25 minute run for 40 myths, or we can knock out Garuda in 8 minutes for 7 myths, we just spam Garudas and get weapons for more people/off classes.

E: Who am I kidding, we get 7 bows in a row.
I did mean it as a joke, but yeah, if you got a good solid 8 man crew, especially due to the AK queue nonsense, I could see it working out. I don't have a solid 8 man crew, so me and a few buddies just pug stuff, so that obviously isn't going to pay off.

I haven't done Garuda HM yet, but Ifrit was just raining axes for us.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you set aside the instance reservation issue, and pretend everything gives an equal reward time-wise the end decider comes down to intensity of effort. Comparing a 10 minute Titan run is a constant attentive twitch combat while a 10 minute AK speed run was 3 bosses with a bunch of running. The AK is far more relaxed and has enough variability to be the clear choice even if Titan gave the same or slightly more reward. When there is only one general reward track, for example gil farming by selling Titans, then people will subject themselves to the intensive route. However, the burnout rate will increase exponentially if that continues for any length of time.

If you really want to do Garuda/Titan I would suggest only doing it to cap myth. Do not do it for philosophy.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Titan for Gil is good if you're broke too, you can make a lot of money if you go all out for a night but damn it gets crazy boring.

For philosophy I would run CM, it's easy to speed run and people have it down to 20 minutes pretty well now. Praetorium is fast also but it's like Mala said about old AK vs new. You have to press 19819819 buttons during those same 20m which you'd be running around on mostly in CM so CM >>>>>>>>> Prae.

Also the copies i ordered from SE for friends are jusy now being shipped 5 days later than they should have arrived. Don't know if they are back logged or what still but what a pita.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider

It helped that those raids were a generational leap in quality over anything ever seen before in a MMO. Even something as simple as Onyxia's strafing runs and the environment damage from he floor erupting was a huge step forward. Ditto breath damage being an actual cone, + tail swipe and you had a dragon that actually felt like a goddamn dragon. Naxx's DDR was quite cool and unique at the time - AND THE GODDAMN FLOOR DIDN'T LIGHT UP RED FOR YOU. Er, damn tourettes.

And what sucker had to run LBRS 50 times? Lets check the hyperbole at the door, please.

Fuck your rose tinted glasses. FF14 takes a step backwards in almost every possible way. WoW was a serious progression. That's the difference.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
It helped that those raids were a generational leap in quality over anything ever seen before in a MMO. Even something as simple as Onyxia's strafing runs and the environment damage from he floor erupting was a huge step forward. Ditto breath damage being an actual cone, + tail swipe and you had a dragon that actually felt like a goddamn dragon. Naxx's DDR was quite cool and unique at the time - AND THE GODDAMN FLOOR DIDN'T LIGHT UP RED FOR YOU. Er, damn tourettes.

And what sucker had to run LBRS 50 times? Lets check the hyperbole at the door, please.
Not this Paladin right here.... HOOOOOOOOOOO!

Column_sl

shitlord
To the people who are saying run HM Garuuda/Titan for myth stones. That is exactly what my 8 man does to cap after 4 turns of the coil.

It is so much quicker then doing Aks, and you get alt weapons.

Needless

Toe Sucker
What dungeon has the Demon Wall boss? I turned on some chicks stream on twitch last night and had a good laugh at her wiping over and over because she couldn't stay out of the void zones. Is that AK?

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>

Fuck your rose tinted glasses. FF14 takes a step backwards in almost every possible way. WoW was a serious progression. That's the difference.
Well if you take his response to sean's statement that wow had much more......his response is perfectly on point.

However if you want to bring the "generational" and big picture genre evolution stuff into it you are right- but that's not what he nor sean was implying.

Skrigg

Golden Squire
Loved the game at the start, but I very clearly see all the cracks now. Game is garbage, just my two cents, and I have no faith it will ever get better.
Haven't gotten to endgame yet since I've been crafting hardcore but I'm interested in why you say this? What cracks make the game garbage?

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Haven't gotten to endgame yet since I've been crafting hardcore but I'm interested in why you say this? What cracks make the game garbage?
The end game if you're not a raider but still want to kit your character out is 1 fucking boring zone that takes 30-60+ minutes and isn't even really that fun. This zone drops Valor Points (300 cap per week at like 40 per run). The other zones that drop Justice Points take like an horu and also require 8 people who are more than likely not all just grinding points and will watch cutscenes. Also those zones are ALSO boring as fuck. It's the same shit every mmo has done since WoW. Copy wow's end game but make it much, much shittier.

Edit: Also, the dungeon drops are shit, justice/valor points aren't to fill in gaps, they are to actually gear up. It's a chinaman grind of suck.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Justice/valor points? What fucking game are you playing?

And CM speed runs are actually really easy to find, and there's never anyone new to the instance.

That's not to say they're not boring as fuck though.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Running CM is at least laid back and not bad for 20-25 of time with no queue. I plan on running guild ones tomorrow night through Sunday which will be boring but I want to finish my BLM and Paladins last slots and it sounds like quite a few want.

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
End game reminds me of Rift's, just as leveling did. In fact, it probably has a bit less to offer comparing relative timeframes.

Not sure I have it in me.