Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Hit 60 last night, gonna finish the MSQs tonight, then I begin the long road ahead of me of leveling MNK from 17 to 60. @_@
You main a NIN, right? I play on PS4 and I am a tad concerned about squeezing in more abilities with the Xbar for the new rotations I am reading about. It is looking a bit more involved with more situational tweaks. I suck at thinking on my toes AND dancing telegraphs but I was just starting to get it down pat pre HW. How are you finding the changes?

Between The Witcher 3 and the summer/4th of July work crunch I can't seem to find the time to play, but I want too soooo bad. I have tried logging in 5 times already but always get pulled away after a few minutes. Think I like JUST left Ishgard for cloud land! So much for the headstart...

Needless

Toe Sucker
i've been leveling alchemist up, used all 100 leves i had saved up without knowing i could have used HQ variants for more exp, saving leves.. now i'm 48 and manually crafting shit just to get it overwith.

pretty sure i'm doing these last 2 levels in the most inefficient way possible... i've made like 500 elixirs lol

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
A few things that are (probably) too late for you to learn about currently leveling crafting. One: Always do the daily Grand Company deal, and always do it HQ for whatever tradeskill you are leveling. It will provide a ridiculous amount of xp when HQ'd, and makes it very easy to bypass certain painful parts of the leveling process. Two: Ehcatl dailies. They are the birdman faction that crafters can access in North Shroud in the middle of the map, roughly. You start with only 3 (and a mass turn in) dailies, but after you get to the second reputation level, you can knock out 6 dailies a day for a very nice chunk of xp, roughly a level's worth (this percentage drops as you rise up in levels) but it is a pretty quick 20-30 minutes worth of activity to save yourself leves, gain some xp and not use up any mats aside from some crystal shards. Three: HQing leves is basically always worth the extra effort if you are using mats, but more importantly use the ones that require you to travel and reward the highest per-item XP if you want to save leves and resources, or if you don't care about resources do the 3x repeatable ones and HQ all the mats to save leves (these tend to basically be the best xp-per-leve for crafters)

Information that will definitely help you if you level another crafting class!

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So finally able to log in and get some playtime. Reading around people saying fates aren't worth it now? So I should just keeping spamming this instant daily roulette queue to level machinist?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Hunts are currently a pain in the ass kinda.
You really need to have a good hunt LS and be quick when it announces things, because people barely wait before pulling.
If you're on Gilgamesh, there are two Linkshells dedicated to revolving-door hunting: American Steak Theory and American Meme Theory. Go into any of the new zones and type in /shout, "Invite to Steak/Memes please!" and someone will likely send you an invite to one of the Linkshells. When you're done hunting for the day, just quit the linkshell (or you'll get kicked when you log off).

AST/AMT keeps really good track of all the hunt timers, so it's a good idea to hunt with them.

You main a NIN, right? I play on PS4 and I am a tad concerned about squeezing in more abilities with the Xbar for the new rotations I am reading about. It is looking a bit more involved with more situational tweaks. I suck at thinking on my toes AND dancing telegraphs but I was just starting to get it down pat pre HW. How are you finding the changes?
Ninja hardly feels different. There's just a few key differences from what we were doing at level 50:

1. You need Skill Speed now. You want to get your GCD to at least 2.06 when Huton is active. Your new opener requires you to fit an extra GCD within the duration of Trick Attack, so you need Skill Speed to make it there.
  2. Your new rotation is exactly the same as the old rotation, except Mug and Jugulate are replaced with Dream within a Dream and Duality for the Opener. So new opener looks like
    (Huton pre-pull, pull in exactly 15 seconds after Huton is cast), Spinning Edge (Internal Release), Gust Slash (Blood for Bads), Dancing Edge (Suiton) (X-Pot of Dex), Spinning Edge (Trick Attack), Shadow Fang (Kassatsu), Mutilate (Raiton), Spinning Edge (Dream within a Dream), Gust Slash (Duality), [THIS IS WHERE YOU FAIL IF YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH SKILL SPEED] Aeolian Edge.
  3. Use Armor Crush any time there's less than 40 seconds left on Huton so you never have to use Ninjitsu to cast Huton.
  4. Without a Warrior, you're going to be hard-pressed to get in any Aeolian Edges when you're trying to keep up Dancing Edge along with Shadow Fang, Mutilate, and using Armor Crush every 30 seconds, and your DPS is going to suffer pretty hard as a result. I highly recommend avoiding playing NIN in a static with tight DPS checks if you don't have a WAR.
  5. Shadewalker the MT before the pull.
  6. Smoke Screen the WHM/AST before adds pop.
So finally able to log in and get some playtime. Reading around people saying fates aren't worth it now? So I should just keeping spamming this instant daily roulette queue to level machinist?
Those people are morons. FATEs are only a waste of time on your HIGHEST LEVEL class. For any class that's not your highest level, FATEs give 100% bonus EXP from level 1 - 49 (more than anything else in the game) and 50% bonus EXP from level 49 - 59 (as much as a sidequest, but less than an MSQ).

Needless

Toe Sucker
A few things that are (probably) too late for you to learn about currently leveling crafting. One: Always do the daily Grand Company deal, and always do it HQ for whatever tradeskill you are leveling. It will provide a ridiculous amount of xp when HQ'd, and makes it very easy to bypass certain painful parts of the leveling process. Two: Ehcatl dailies. They are the birdman faction that crafters can access in North Shroud in the middle of the map, roughly. You start with only 3 (and a mass turn in) dailies, but after you get to the second reputation level, you can knock out 6 dailies a day for a very nice chunk of xp, roughly a level's worth (this percentage drops as you rise up in levels) but it is a pretty quick 20-30 minutes worth of activity to save yourself leves, gain some xp and not use up any mats aside from some crystal shards. Three: HQing leves is basically always worth the extra effort if you are using mats, but more importantly use the ones that require you to travel and reward the highest per-item XP if you want to save leves and resources, or if you don't care about resources do the 3x repeatable ones and HQ all the mats to save leves (these tend to basically be the best xp-per-leve for crafters)

Information that will definitely help you if you level another crafting class!
Sweet, i'll keep this in mind if i decide to level another hand class. I hit 50 already though on alchemist now, and i'm a proud owner of 864 Elixirs because of it lol

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those people are morons. FATEs are only a waste of time on your HIGHEST LEVEL class. For any class that's not your highest level, FATEs give 100% bonus EXP from level 1 - 49 (more than anything else in the game) and 50% bonus EXP from level 49 - 59 (as much as a sidequest, but less than an MSQ).
Gotcha. So I'll just do fates to 50 and the 1 daily roulette for bonus then. Figured it was weird it was nerfed.

Sounds like once I get 50, just do what I did on original launch and a mix of quest/fates/dungeons to do 50-60.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Sounds like once I get 50, just do what I did on original launch and a mix of quest/fates/dungeons to do 50-60.
If I were to make a super quick leveling guide for 50-60:

FIRST CLASS:

1. MSQs
2. Daily Roulettes
3. Daily Hunts (unlocked at 53, 56, and 59)
4. Sidequests
5. FATEs (if they are being cleared fast) or dungeon spam (if FATEs are not being cleared fast).

SUBSEQUENT CLASSES:

1. Daily Roulettes
2. Daily Hunts
3. FATEs (if going quickly) or any sidequests you haven't done (if FATEs are going slow)
4. Dungeon spam

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sweet, i'll keep this in mind if i decide to level another hand class. I hit 50 already though on alchemist now, and i'm a proud owner of 864 Elixirs because of it lol
Addendum: completely forgot they upped the beast tribe dailies to 12, so that makes the process progressively faster as you move up through ehcatl reputation ranks.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Addendum: completely forgot they upped the beast tribe dailies to 12, so that makes the process progressively faster as you move up through ehcatl reputation ranks.
Oh yeah, i wanted to look into those anyway... think thats the only way to get a goobbue mount now without having the one from 1.0 right?

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Haven't read this thread at all, sorry!

I've got an MMO itch again. Never played FF14 but it seems to be the only "decent" MMO out there? I haven't subbed to an MMO since the last WoW expac (lasted about 2 months before boredom) so I was thinking of giving this a shot. All I've been playing recently is GTA 5 and an EQ EMU server called Imperium.

Does the free trial include enough for me to get a decent idea of whether I'll like it or not? Also, what's the end-game? I can't do raids anymore; I have neither the schedule or patience for them. An MMO with a viable end-game that let me do small group stuff (like 4-6 people) would be amazing but I've never seen that.

Thanks in advance fellas, sorry for yet another "should I play this?!" post.

*Edit: Forgot the main thing I was going to ask: Quick breakdown of classes? I don't know much about FF games. Last one I played with FF X many years ago.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I can't start as a Rogue? Game already makes me
frown.png

I also can't make a character on the Gilgamesh server, which is where most of you are? Strike 2 =/

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It only takes a couple of hours to hit 10, where you can change classes and then play as a rogue. And since the xpac just released Gilg is at super high pop quite often for the moment. Your options are make a character on another server and then use the paid transfer service, or keep an eye onhereto see when it opens. Not really too many hoops to jump through, and the vast majority of those first couple of hours are going to be in storyland and killing mobs in 3 hits, so you won't be missing much "playing" the rogue. That, and you'll get bonus xp when you do get to level rogue until it is the same level as whatever you play first, so probably faster.

But there ya go.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Booted for "All worlds undergoing maintenance". I'm having bad luck with this first play :p

Thanks for the Rogue info. Googled it and people said start as a Pugilist as you'll need it at level 15 to become the Rogue's specialized class later, anyhow. I'll do that, learn the beginner ropes, then re-roll on Gilgamesh when I can.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Having all the ponies makes Mount Roulette really fun when running from place to place.

Not quite 56 yet, but did finish the 55 MSQ. Having a blast in this expansion. Can't wait to try out other jobs, but MSQ comes first.

Edit: Hate maintenance, but at least they're good about up- and down- times!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Booted for "All worlds undergoing maintenance". I'm having bad luck with this first play :p

Thanks for the Rogue info. Googled it and people said start as a Pugilist as you'll need it at level 15 to become the Rogue's specialized class later, anyhow. I'll do that, learn the beginner ropes, then re-roll on Gilgamesh when I can.
Yeah you migth as well do that. You do need to hit 15ish to get the airship quest to go to Limsa and become a rogue if you don't start a class there anyway, pretty sure the boat is only unlocked after that.

If you're up when the server comes back up, you have a good chance of being able to make a char on Gilg right away, since it should be low pop at that point in time. Right after maintenances tend to be the best time to make chars on populated servers.

As for other classes in case you're interested.

There's 3 tanks, one of them can only be started after you reach 50/unlock Ishgard(Dark Knight), Paladin is typical cooldown heavy tank, is pretty boring until 50+ when you start getting new combat skills as well as support skills(a good heal and a party absorb shield), Warrior is a high health self healing tank with solid damage, a lot more fun to play but the cooldowns are less powerful(however you get Inner Beast which is up very often so you can mitigate big hits if you hit it at the right time). Dark Knight is a bit of a mix of the two with a heavy emphasis on controlling your MP.

3 healers, White Mage are the typical healer, have the best aoe healing and very strong direct healing overall but poor utility other than that, Scholars use a pet that heals and have a focus on shields to prevent damage rather than reactive healing, as well as a large set of utility skills and very good damage even while healing, Astrologians(which require 50) are similar to white mages but with less healing cooldowns and more group utility such as damage buffs, can also shield or regen depending on the situation.

3 melee DPS, Monks are fast paced combo based, they require constant positional abilities but have the highest theorical damage, or did before the expansion no idea about now. They also have pretty good utility by reducing magic damage done and increasing healing received. Ninjas are also fast paced but rely on ninjutsus which are minigame-ish and have way less reliance on positionals, only have a few skills that require them at all. They have great utility(raid wide damage increase, TP regeneration for someone else, threat control tools) and rivaled monks in terms of damage in a lot of situations. Dragoons are a slower melee DPS with a decent focus on positional skills and with an emphasis on large bursts of damage as well as a lot of OGCD weaving, they used to be a bit crappy in 2.0 but got buffed near the end and got buffed a lot in the expansion so that they're now very good by bringing solid utility(crit buff cooldown) as well as ridiculous burst damage potential. Has the best aoe out of all the melees also.

2 pure ranged DPS, Black Mage are rotation heavy very immobile(long cast times) casters which have theorically the highest ranged damage(or did before the expansion, might not be the case anymore), but require a lot of planning to minimize movement to attain that DPS. Used to have the best aoe in the game, not so sure anymore. Summoners are the new favorite child of SE it seems, used to be kinda behind BLMs for all of 2.0, but now got massive buffs, is the typical pet+dot class but also has amazing utility since they're the only non healer to have in combat rez.

2 support ranged DPS, Bard and Machinist(which require 50). Bard used to be the most played class but 3.0 had a lot of weird changes for them forcing them to stand still to use their skills rather than being 100% instant cast based, so it might become a rarity, even though the songs are still a must for any raiding party. Machinist gets the same support skills, but apparently their damage is shit currently, making them a strictly inferior choice compared to bard, gameplay is very fun though, more so than bards, so eh. One of these will ALWAYS get a raid spot, regardless of performance, and since they fell from grace in terms of popularity and demand will still be the same, they might become the support bitch no one wants to play but everyone wants to have, good if that's your thing.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So I'm 58 miner and 58 botany and so far about 52-53 on most crafts. Some good notes re: gathering so far:

- Nodes are much more spread out and mostly random. There are still 1-2 places where they seem to be less random, but they are certainly spread out among 6-8 nodes, and you have to rotate through them all. They are in pairs, 2 close to each other, then fly to next one.
- Gathering is a pain in the ass without flight because of the great distances from the nodes.
- Epherimeral Nodes are used once, and go away, but will respawn again in your usual cycle until they have been completely "depleted" by all players.
- Unspoiled Nodes seem to last 55 in game minutes (this is about 2 minutes 50 seconds). MOST nodes I've seen spawn at 10am, 10pm, 12am, and 12pm. There are some variances, but those are most common, it seems. It will be fairly hard to farm them on a long cycle zone to zone.
- Collectables are GREAT for experience and scrip farming. I'm still trying to find a good way to do this at the higher end but my gear at present is rather lacking and that's probably the main reason why. However, the mining yellow copper ore in coerthas is amazing for starters, as you can get 6 ore per spawn, which can be turned in for 70,000exp EACH. That's 420,000 exp every 70 minutes.
- If you have an HQ level 51 crafting weapon, it's the best you'll ever get unless you buy/make another HQ one. The ones you get in the quests are NQ and never exceed the HQ level 51 one, including the NQ level 57 one.
- There is no weapon at 60 (afaik, I'm not 60 yet but I see the quest reward is a pick of 3 of any of the IV materia). There may be another quest after though.
- Gathering crystals is much easier now, as it often procs multi-gathers. In other words, you might get 1, 1, 7, 4, 9, 1 in a single cycle. Crystals should be cheap on the MB moving forward.
- Lot more actions on gathering nodes now - even seen one that raised HQ rate 50%.
- A lot of the craftable needed items (i.e. Dravanian Mistletoe, Coerthas Tea Leaves, etc) are both collectable and used, and both are only unspoiled nodes making them very expensive on the MB. Recommended to use +2 yield for these if farming.
- ALWAYS!!!!! do your GC Crafting and Gathering turn ins HQ. ALWAYS. EVERY DAY. This is a MASSIVE exp boost, even at the high end. Proof:
rrr_img_100941.png

- Save your leves for fieldcraft and regular crafting. However, the level 56 fieldcraft leves, especially botany, suck even with flight.
- MegaLeves (10 leve) are not worth it.