Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
If anyone is interested in experiencing the old coils, I'm going to be running parties for T5, T9, T12, and T13 tonight (PDT). We'll be doing it unsynced, no experience required, just don't be pants-on-head retarded. Reply here or message me on Discord (Kriptini #8015) if you want in.

I'm thinking it's time to make (yet another) Linkshell for <this board name> shenanigans, especially if there's a chance of cross-server linkshells coming during 4.x

Yea or nay?

This is directed to Gilgamesh people, specifically.

Might as well, considering you and I are the only ones active in the current LS lol.

How hard is it for tanks to find top end groups? WARs specifically

I don't think you'll have a problem, WAR will probably be the most desired OT again because they're still gonna have crazy DPS. Also remember you can join a static for any server on the data center because of cross-server PF.

Last edited:

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Surprised big w would play this but not wow (due to questing)

Lol Noodle with shots fired.

FFXIV at least has interesting sounding classes. I just feel disconnected and bored with any classes in WoW, which makes questing a fucking chore.

If, perhaps, I could just start at 110, and raid, I'd get into WoW's classes.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No shots fired. I just meant this game has A LOT of forced questing
You know how much I love to disagree with Noodle but he's not wrong. Just the last year alone was 10 hours worth of questing if you skipped cut scenes. The good news is all your alts are just straight grinding.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
WoW questing is just fucking boring. Maybe its the classes, maybe its the game, maybe its just questing.

I figured I'd at least give this game a fair shot..

I'll warn you in advance, the questing in this game is pretty bad. Can't compare it to WoW because I haven't played much, but I can say the questing is barely better than the questing in RoK-era EQ2. Additionally, all content in the game is locked behind access quests, which usually require you to complete the main story quests before you can even unlock those.

The good news is that the story for the main story quests (starting with the end of ARR) is quite good, and once you do finish the MSQs and the access quests, the endgame is a very tight experience. I can't speak on how interesting the classes are compared to WoW, but I can tell you that endgame feels like a very tight, refined experience - mechanics are usually well-polished and enrages are usually challenging, yet reasonable (with the exception of A3S and A4S but the devs have learned from those abortions).

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I sure hope that spoiler in the launch trailer is a fucking red herring. èé

I hope Y'shtola dies and stays dead, I don't really like or feel any connection to any of the Scions aside from Alphinaud, Alisae, and Tataru - probably because they're the only ones that actually have any character development.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Looks like BRD is most wanted..
Bard/Machinist are usually fairly sought after for endgame, at least since HW, and I assume for SB. The utility they provide with group regen abilities is invaluable on the longer fights especially to recover from fuckups because when you rez, while getting your health back to full is easy, getting your mp/tp back to full is an entirely different issue especially if you died with your one regen ability on cooldown(only BLM doesn't care since they virtually have infinite mana and regen their full bar in 3secs). They're also really important if you don't have a summoner/BLM for aoe phases, since melees are the suck at aoeing efficiently in terms of ressources(they lose all their TPs in like 15secs).

So yeah they're gonna be in high demand since you need one in pretty much every raid grp.

Other than that, the usual lack of tank/healers generally make those classes valuable too. But surprisingly damage dealers aren't so bad for statics either, as long as you can perform well. It's not that easy finding non retarded DPS as usual. So I wouldn't really pick a class depending on static needs since it's usually relatively easy to find a static in XIV from my experience and what I've seen, as long as you're good at your class.

But if you want to, then yeah look at supporting classes in general. Also is a lot better for queue times(although bards/machinists count as DPS for matchmaking queues so those would be pretty long, while tank/healers get much shorter queues for all content).

Malkav

French Madman
I hope Y'shtola dies and stays dead, I don't really like or feel any connection to any of the Scions aside from Alphinaud, Alisae, and Tataru - probably because they're the only ones that actually have any character development.

I like Y'shtola. She is even FFXIV main character in all of Square cross game shit like the mobile game and she is even in the new Dissidia. Would be weird for them to kill her off. I'd rather they kill the whiny bitch Alphinaud.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I like Y'shtola. She is even FFXIV main character in all of Square cross game shit like the mobile game and she is even in the new Dissidia. Would be weird for them to kill her off. I'd rather they kill the whiny bitch Alphinaud.

She's only the "main" character because "catgirl," "muh waifu," etc. They could've as easily picked Thancred, Papalymo, Yda, or hell, Derplander. Alphinaud started off as a whiny bitch but he's really come a long way since then. He actually gets shit done unlike the rest of the Scions who just kind of sit around and do nothing.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll warn you in advance, the questing in this game is pretty bad. Can't compare it to WoW because I haven't played much, but I can say the questing is barely better than the questing in RoK-era EQ2. Additionally, all content in the game is locked behind access quests, which usually require you to complete the main story quests before you can even unlock those.

The good news is that the story for the main story quests (starting with the end of ARR) is quite good, and once you do finish the MSQs and the access quests, the endgame is a very tight experience. I can't speak on how interesting the classes are compared to WoW, but I can tell you that endgame feels like a very tight, refined experience - mechanics are usually well-polished and enrages are usually challenging, yet reasonable (with the exception of A3S and A4S but the devs have learned from those abortions).

A8s if done the intended way was also pretty damn hard. Just most groups avoided the hardest mechanics with tank lb2 and on the final phase , by sacrificing the water debugf target (not sure if they ever fixed that but when I quit you could still sac there without an explosion). I didn't do a9-12 but I heard those were times much easier tho.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
This game has the worst fucking patch servers of all time.

Update: Had to use a VPN just to get the fucking patch downloads to work. Thats some stellar service.

Last edited:

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
I'm thinking it's time to make (yet another) Linkshell for <this board name> shenanigans, especially if there's a chance of cross-server linkshells coming during 4.x

Yea or nay?

This is directed to Gilgamesh people, specifically.

Have they hinted at x-server linkshells? That's be awesome, but I'm stuck on Malboro

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Have they hinted at x-server linkshells? That's be awesome, but I'm stuck on Malboro
They've hinted at it. When it happens is another story altogether. The same goes for x-server FCs. I think they've been starting to work towards that, and are testing the waters with Data Center party finder for now.