Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
This Gilgamesh queue.... waited 35 minutes to get in. Did 10 minutes of my 3.5 msq, register for Baelsars wall as dps, wait 20 minutes to join df, get kicked and now i'm stuck in a longer queue....

Been awhile since I played an mmo around launch/xpack, fucking aids.

Edit: almost two hours and a 90k later and i'm back on que for Baelsars wall! Cool servers SE!!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mao

Trakanon Raider
The definition of insanity.

I have people on my Discord that have made macros and literally sat at Raubahn and Pippin for 12 hrs. Just letting the macro run while they go watch TV shows and shit. I think one guy started at 5am this rmorning and finally about an hour ago took a break to go try some crafting.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I managed to get past Raubahn this afternoon, got all the way up to Susano when it 90ked me on starting it. Story felt a bit disjointed with the hard pivot, but overall I think it's funny that most of the story is you plus the harem doing stuff.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
There's apparently a much worse issue with people getting disconnected on Susanoo at the end(and potentially in other places too) where you basically brick your char and can't log back in. They said it'll take a couple of days to fix too, so you're fucked until monday/tuesday if that hits. I'd heavily recommend not doing that trial during prime time/when servers look like shit with DCs.

As a side note I woke up this morning, went to check if the MSQ stuff was fixed, it wasn't, checked if server transfers were up, they were, transferred to Omega, queue of 1, did the MSQ instantly. Server looks pretty empty so that's nice for this kind of stuff. Less nice for the lack of FC combat xp bonus but eh that's ok and I'll eventually find a random FC I guess. Played all day without a disconnect or any issue, even did the big FATEs that have Orchestrion rolls as rewards with the few other people around.

Ping difference on EU is pretty massive especially after the move to west coast servers. Like I actually cancel my spells from moving before they finish casting and shit while before I could almost move halfway and they'd still finish. Did some PvP and it's so much better. Still think Monk is a fucking shit pvp class though, it's only good with a pocket healer AND someone CCing for you so you can stay on target. Damage output seems ridiculous however. In 2GCDs worth of time I can dump about 10k dmg if I have my stuff ready. But that does kinda shit all when you can't stay on target efficiently and die anytime someone looks at you. I mostly focus on killing crystals as a result, I often get top3 crystal damage which is nice enough. Win or lose it's the same xp anyway.

Pretty happy, main concern is when I'll start crafting/gathering, I feel a low pop server will have supply issues so it's gonna be more annoying.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Seriously, SE....

2PpnJ

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ruby Sea just went down for maintenance for this very issue, should be fixed soon.

(Hilarious as fuck that they bring down Ruby Sea for this but still haven't touched Cold Steel.)

Azim Steppe is fucking gorgeous, definitely FFXIV's version of the Calm Lands from FFX - it's nice to see so much greenery in this game for a change.

Edit: So far too i've seen maybe 2 or 3 direct FFVI references - one of them being a particular song. Loving this shit.

Last edited:

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Apparently, Balmung and Gilg went down (not sure, that's the rumor) and that had an open window for everyone else on the data center to finish the two AIDs quests. Huge rush of people, myself included, were able to complete it relatively easily.

The fix appears to be putting those two on their own Data center hah.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Everything seems to be working fine now. During that time I was doing side quests and fates to level up. I got up to level 30 but my MSQ was stuck at level 15. I don't even have my mount yet cause I couldn't progress or do any dungeons cause of the storyline. Now I'm playing catch up.

Anyway quick question. What's a good crafting profession to take up for a paladin or it doesn't matter.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Crafting is effectively its own sort of thing, combined with gathering. For the most part, normal play and endgame tome collection will get you plenty geared out and crafting won't really matter. Your very first character through might benefit from picking up some crafted gear from the AH or even just vendor "white" gear if you happen to feel you are lagging hard in the 30-50 stuff, but as for being able to make gear yourself while leveling the first time through that is actually near your level? It tapers off hard after 15 when interdependence between different types of crafting and gathering really start to come to the forefront.

Crafting is heavily intertwined with -all- the crafting disciplines, and leveling any single one is difficult (until Echatl and Moogle quests; later on that) and to make anything worthwhile you'll need lots of crafted mats from multiple disciplines, except Culinarian kind of does its own thing for the most part.

In the 40s you'll unlock beast tribes, and the Ehcatl beast tribe is for crafters/gatherers. You can complete the quests with only having the three gatherers at like level 10 or something, and whatever crafter you want. But it is still a very time consuming process and to use the levels you gain, you'll still need materials that are made from other classes. In the 50s you'll unlock the moogle quests in HW, which is the same sort of thing, but only for crafting. Again, easy to level, but you will still need the mats.

Long story short; you don't need to level any crafting thing and none really -benefit- one class over another minus a small decrease in repair costs from Armorsmith/Blacksmith/Goldsmith for paladins. The problem is, you'll need to level those to keep pace with your normal leveling, and that becomes a major pain if you aren't doing both types of gathering and crafting. Or just buying gil from a goldseller. Do crafting/gathering if you like the playstyle after you try it; don't do it to supplement any specific class.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
Man the trailors didn't really do this xpac any favors. Comming from HW I had very little hype for SB, setting and story just wasn't appealing to me from what I was seeing but so far I am blown away. Once again they nailed the atmosphere, really enjoying myself so far.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Made it to 61 on Red Mage, so caught up the Scholar, and decide to continue as a Red Mage. I like the Scholar, especially for dungeon/trials queues but Red Mage much more fun to play in general.

Now that the MSQ issues seem to be fixed, it's time to continue that.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Good.. this is the dullest shit in the world. RDM is 59 though so i'm almost done with it
I mean you can keep going with it if you like, pretty sure it still works past 60. But yeah it's boring as fuck, I only do a few runs on my alts then switch back to another char. You could technically level doing other stuff but potd is stupidly efficient for xp so hard to beat. I think it's still better than FATE leveling though.

PvP is a pretty good way to level atm too, although that's pretty braindead and some classes are pretty poorly balanced it seems. But at least queues for DPS are fast.

There's also a lot of dailly shit to do for xp, notably hunt mark bills in HW and later SB and all the roulettes(or well most of them). They're nice to break the monotony of leveling.

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
POTD post 60 isn't really worth it. They didn't change the experience curve so 60-61 takes 8 runs with armory bonus. Beast tribe dailies, + gubal library 3-4 runs is going to be your best bet for alt jobs, or fates with a flying mount if large groups.

Hit 70 on war about a little over a day ago and enjoying some of the changes it definitely plays different with proper meter management. Leveling paladin next through dungeons casually as I gain rested exp over the next two weeks. Duty Finder down again though on Japanese data center.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's down on EU too, can't enter a solo instance even though I'm on Omega and no one around(and it's 5AM). I think it might be a different issue this time though because it makes little sense to have issues at this hour on a low pop server. Oh well I had to do my beastmen daillies and hunting marks anyway.

What's good about Gubal btw, is it better xp than other dungeons somehow?