Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My only problem with WAR right now is having meh gear. I feel like I have to stay in Defiance all the the time and I have to spam the shit out of Overpower on Trash pulls. DPS players, specifically the new classes, can rip hate off of me if I am not pushing it to the max (mostly because none of them will use their OGCD hate reducer, fucking idiots).

Some of the fights hit super hard. On the fist trial I had to time my reduction abilities with his big hits. That's not necessarily a problem, just an observation. I would honestly rather have the game be more about tanks being smart to tank then tanks have to stance dance and be loldps.

Malkav

French Madman
My only problem with WAR right now is having meh gear. I feel like I have to stay in Defiance all the the time and I have to spam the shit out of Overpower on Trash pulls. DPS players, specifically the new classes, can rip hate off of me if I am not pushing it to the max (mostly because none of them will use their OGCD hate reducer, fucking idiots).

Some of the fights hit super hard. On the fist trial I had to time my reduction abilities with his big hits. That's not necessarily a problem, just an observation. I would honestly rather have the game be more about tanks being smart to tank then tanks have to stance dance and be loldps.

News at 11 : tanks having to use CDs for tankbusters, omg.

But yeah, stance dancing is ridiculous in this game. Kinda hoped they'd do away with it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
It's been a long time since I had to use an ability on a tank buster :)

Well, of course, we're no longer at the end of an extension and overgeared.
And if it could stay like that the whole expansion it would be better. Well, except for bads.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I wish tanks actually had to tank in this game. I love tanking in all games but some times in FF14 it feels like I'm a DPS with agro skills. I don't have a schedule conducive to raiding any more so I am quite sure I will be switching to a DPS pretty soon.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Haven't gotten to level mine other than getting it to 62, read a lot of negative opinions on that theorycrafting discord thing. Looks kinda meh now? Damage is way lower especially aoe, like garbage tier aoe compared to WHM or even AST, but that's ok for raiding content and stuff, just annoying for dungeons. Healing is harder cause you have to manage mana a lot more and fairy heals for less. New link ability on the fairy apparently has a god awful cast time and locks the fairy out of other abilities making it pretty soso. New reactive heal is kinda neat but fairly situational, it's basically a Lustrate you can precast but Lustrates being an oGCD, it doesn't save you much time unless your ping is bad, and apparently the ability cannot crit while Lustrate can, so it's effectively worse unless you need the precast functionality(for example drop it before tank swap so you can precast a heal and still have a buffer if necessary or whatever). Only positive thing is the crit thing, but with the loss of personal DPS it might just break even instead? With a bard/monk combo though the added benefit of being crit would help I think.

WHMs new tools aren't great but they can still vomit overhealing everywhere and have a lot of instant cast this or that for no mp constantly which means they kinda don't care about mana management much anymore.

ASTs are the definite winners out of the 3, the new skills are actually really nice and it was already super strong before. If they fix the "can't see other ppl's cards" shit, I think double AST would probably just be better than any other 2 combos. 2 sets of card draw guarantees good balance uptime and they can cover shields and regen both.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can mostly concur about the mana management as WHM is what I am right now (stuck behind Raubahn's wall most of the weekend and working a shitload since =/ Only 66) and I basically use Assize as my mana regen in fights because I'm always using it on cooldown. I DPS constantly while still laying out the healing.

That said, DRKs once again seem squishy, and the skill difference (or maybe gear difference?) between DRKs is 10 fold more noticeable than it is with WAR or PAL. Maybe I just don't like healing them subconsciously or something, but I remember having similar thoughts at HW release. Oh well!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Are combat rotations as retarded as they seem watching some videos of this? I never really got past first maybe 10 levels.

Seems like EQ2 levels of bloated bullshit even in Stormblood, but maybe that's just the PS4 UI making it more retarded looking than it actually is?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Are combat rotations as retarded as they seem watching some videos of this? I never really got past first maybe 10 levels.

Seems like EQ2 levels of bloated bullshit even in Stormblood, but maybe that's just the PS4 UI making it more retarded looking than it actually is?

I'm getting a huge feeling of deja vu.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Latest build of ACT is out. Samurai is the big dick dps class with summoner trailing behind.

ACT updated • r/ffxiv

Samurai 4616 IL312
Summoner 4418 IL314
Black Mage 4414 IL314
Red Mage 4285 IL314
Ninja 4240 IL314
Monk 4235 IL314
Dragoon 4020 IL314
Bard 3816 IL314
Machinist 3688 IL314

Seems to be somewhat accurate, given what i've seen in the 300-310 range on hunts. BLMs almost always up there with the occasional SAM, RDM, and melee joining the top 5. Nothing's optimized there like it is for raiding so having an AST or BRD group buffs might make up for any deficits.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yes but didn't they streamline combat shit or was this expac completely masturbatory?
They got rid of a half dozen abilities and then they added a half dozen abilities so it ended up in the same spot but streamlined.

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Made a new account for the free trial, not played since they gave everyone a free account for 30days or how long it was who brought the orginal piece of shit game. I forgot how bad the orginal story was in the early phases. Getting stuck on the story now though due to gated behind duty finder and I cannot find anyone to invite me into the Mentor channel to try ask for higher level help. Are they are general lfg channels in this game?

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are not. People on the story get priority in queue so that helps a bit. Join an uber guild. Find what ever one has the most people online. You can usually convince some random schmuck to help you run the dungeon (or play a tank/healer).

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any SCH mains here? How do you feel about SCH's place in SB?

I am a scholar main, and while decent keep in mind I am not part of some bleeding edge world 1st group.

The SCH theoretical DPS is actually greater than it was prior to the patch. Someone did a great analysis here: Stormblood Healer DPS Breakdown • r/ffxiv
Just a note that I think he underestimated the % of DPS for SCH or did not calculate it correctly or again, he is assuming the stand still and do no other task outside of DPS. I think he did leave out a dot though

I find that to be fairly accurate, however the problem(for me) is that it does require you to stand there and nuke. But if I am soloing out in the world I can do that and burn better than before.

However, I personally took a HUGE DPS hit when it comes to practical DPS. Previously I had 4 dots(cross-skill aero). This means that during dungeons/bosses/etc, anything in the real-world where I have to actually heal or move around a lot, means I could stand dance, apply 4 dots fairly quickly, and then go back to moving or healing or whatever. While my up-time on them was not 100% like a summoner or EQ necro, by paying attention and using windows of opportunity it was pretty close. Those 4 dots did quite a bit of dmg per tick! If I didn't have stuff to do I usually could get 1-2 nukes in as well before needing to refresh dots.

I also lost a decent amount of AE, but I think everyone did there. I lost 1 AE skill, 1 dot that could be spread, and another one changed a little. Plus they did that thing where each mob hit by an AE lowers the dmg 10% or so.

Now the good news? It is much much easier to play and it "leveled the playing field" for most people(at least SCH which is all I can really talk about). So while my DPS was far above a pub n00b or whatever previously, now we are much closer. This is mainly due to there just being less dots/buttons/actions to monitor and keep track of. They seriously simplified things. Overall I am not a huge fan, but it's not game-breaking nor does it piss me off to the point of some internet-rant. I've already adjusted for the most part.

Only other issue I have a little of is mana regen, but it's not game-breaking either. I think this is a combo of them dropping the aether regen to 10%, the cost of the heal-shield going up, and the fact that I need to nuke more to do better DPS and nukes take more mana than the DOTs did. It's not killer and I'm sure it will change as I gear up, plus I have access to another mana regen cross skill that reduces hate, so it kind of balances out. Just something to be aware of during leveling process.

------------------------

I know people talk about the meta often, and how class X will be the only viable tank and DPS or whatever with each expansion/patch/raid, but the truth is FFXIV has no need for that during any play type other than bleeding edge savage-level raids. And even those "open up" to the normies as they patch and release the next set. The types of differences people are talking about are redit level autism things, any class does fine in 95% of the game.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Yeah there's a lot of whining going on regarding SCHs right now. Hopefully their AoE will be bolstered and Fey Union will be made more responsive, but I'm more or less fine with all of their other changes.