Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

khorum

Murder Apologist
Potd is prolly the fastest for dps jobs but holy shit you can burn out real fast just spamming that. I got my sam from 50 to 70 in a little under two days just doing potd then hoh but I was about ready to step away from the game after that.

Doing the MSQ is the fastest exp, followed by doing dungeon roulettes for dungeons closest to your level but thats only feasible for tanks and healers since the queue times are too long for dps.

I havent tried squadrons but that should be at least as fast as potd for dps jobs since the queue is instant. Squadrons is you gearing up an npc party and taking them through instances....there was a bug where spamming the attack command would bypass the skill cooldowns for the npcs and that made squadrons often faster than pc groups but thats been fixed. Squadrons are gated behind the HW msq at some point and you need to hit first lieuteneant for your Grand Company to unlock them.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm a tank (warrior). Probably only playing 1-2 hours a night so the roulette is probably my best choice.

I've done POTD and I kind of hate it.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yeah it's a glimpse at Japanese NEET gamer autism....cuz they absolutely fucking love potd. Thats why hoh shipped with SB.

• 1Picard

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah it's a glimpse at Japanese NEET gamer autism....cuz they absolutely fucking love potd. Thats why hoh shipped with SB.
HoH didn't ship with SB, they added it later, 4.1 or 4.2. I know cause I leveled every class to 70 before it was added so now I have to grind it on max lvl chars to max my level shit for ShB release.

And generally speaking, it's a fine place to level in other than dungeons, and unlike dungeons doesn't require tank/healer, so it's especially great for DPS classes. It's not the most interesting content, but it's fairly easy to make and it's used heavily so I expect they'll extend it again next expansion eventually. Few people actually do potd for potd, it's a just a means to an end, like grinding shitty quests or the same dungeon over and over. Also has the advantage of letting you play with a "max level" class right away(although obviously potd is now 60 so not max level, but beats doing lvl 25 dungeons with your 1 button and 2 cooldowns). And for most people, beats farming FATEs, which was the go to leveling process pre potd, again especially for DPS(tanks/healers could farm dungeons, but dungeons were also kinda meh xp for a while).

As for lvling, as a tank, just do leveling roulette, alliance roulette(maybe) and then just spam whatever dungeon is highest.

• 1Salty

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
I'm a tank (warrior). Probably only playing 1-2 hours a night so the roulette is probably my best choice.

I've done POTD and I kind of hate it.

Leveling roulette should take 15-20 minutes. You're the tank, you generally control the speed of the group. Your roulette should give you a little more than 1 level.

After that, spam the highest level dungeon available to you. Each run should be ~1 level and take no longer than 20 minutes.

Once you hit 50 you get enough roulettes to get bonuses for that entire 1-2 hours per night and don't have to spam the same stupid dungeon over and over.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Roger that. Tonight I'll get slamming. SLAMMING.

Still unsure what class I really want to play, but I'll figure it out. HW skip is 17.50 so I'm sort of considering it.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Oh if you haven't done the MSQ, that's definitely the fastest exp of all. When you're underlevelled for the next MSQ quest just do a dungeon or the levelling daily for the bonus and you catch up then just keep doing the MSQ. The MSQ exp reward is always a large percentage of your exp bar so it scales too.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oh if you haven't done the MSQ, that's definitely the fastest exp of all. When you're underlevelled for the next MSQ quest just do a dungeon or the levelling daily for the bonus and you catch up then just keep doing the MSQ. The MSQ exp reward is always a large percentage of your exp bar so it scales too.
I will do the HW MSQ for levelling for sure, but at this point in ARR I'm way too far past where the MSQ I was levelling on was.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Does buying the MSQ skip unlock all the raids/blue content stuff for all of 2.x?

You literally do NOT see how the ARR story ends unless you play through coils of bahamut. There's a fully-rendered cinematic that's only seen in the raid that's the actual ending of the intro movie. It explains what happens and even why there's all those weird giant crystal formations all over Eorzea.

Kinda hilarious that they labelled it "optional" content since compared to this, the whole Gaius Van Balzar story is the actual side story. It's a pain to solo some of the fights even at 70 so you could just youtube the cinematics in case the skip flags it complete and the blue quest wont be there.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
If you avoid all the side quests and just focus on MSQ you can get another job or two to 70 as well. Or just do daily duties. If you do your MSQ duty and leveling duty that will get you more than half a level a day at any level. My SMN did that and the 50/60 and trial, and pretty much got a level a day after 60. For tanks and heals you can just cruise through MSQ and take the highest level dungeon at any given time for fast and easy to 70. Save the quests and stuff for things to do while waiting on queues as dps.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Does buying the MSQ skip unlock all the raids/blue content stuff for all of 2.x?

You literally do NOT see how the ARR story ends unless you play through coils of bahamut. There's a fully-rendered cinematic that's only seen in the raid that's the actual ending of the intro movie. It explains what happens and even why there's all those weird giant crystal formations all over Eorzea.

Kinda hilarious that they labelled it "optional" content since compared to this, the whole Gaius Van Balzar story is the actual side story. It's a pain to solo some of the fights even at 70 so you could just youtube the cinematics in case the skip flags it complete and the blue quest wont be there.
I was going to catch up with youtubes

As much as I want to slog through it, I just don't really have time

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

You see how the ARR story ends just fine? The cutscene and general coil story is about 1.0 ending, which is also the intro cutscene. It's about what happened inbetween, before ARR starts. It has very little impact on the rest of the story like most side content, there are some references here and there and some parts are better explained much later(mostly the Garlean side) but honestly it's still very optional. Great and worth doing for sure, but not tied to the story too much.

Anyway the story skip mostly only unlocks the story, and the leveling stuff. So it unlocks all leveling dungeons even optional ones, and all the 4man dungeons at 50, but not any of the major side content(Coil, Crystal Tower, Hildibrande, Gold Saucer and such)

Cybsled

One reason to do Bahamut: One of the bosses in the raid drops a music sheet that sells for close to a million on the MB. Or it did? I sold a few of them over the past year fairly reliably.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Nael still is pretty expensive. Bahamut less so, since you can solo him. You technically can solo Nael, but shit's a fucking pain in the ass and is for now limited to just one job, summoner(and decked out summoner only). Come next expansion though it should be doable with summoner and scholar and potentially some other classes.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I actually never got around to doing BCOB, is it feasible with 3 players at 70? We can pretty much cover any role.