Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Wow picked a great time to start the game. Stormblood just went on sale on SE's site for $20 and was able to get caught up. Going to get the Bard to 50 then try out Samurai.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Oh hey, WAR is pretty fun.

I really didn't like it at 60 (HW endgame) but the changes since stormblood and new skills have made me really enjoy it.

I still hate aiming overpower though, I fuck it up repeatedly.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So, got my MCH to 70 yesterday. That makes 3 so far. BLM is on the daily roulette block now, and I am getting my BLU and WHM/AST to 50 so I can destroy all the low level junk that has been cluttering up my bags. Just need to get a few more mendacity items and my caster set will be at 360 so my SMN or RDM can finish the last dungeon and unlock expert roulette and let me get MSQ finished up.

Next two months I will be pushing to get every last bit of XP I can squeeze out of road to 60. DPS classes first, since tanks and healers can pretty much get groups whenever the fuck they want to. If I have enough down time between queues I may start getting my DOL on. Sell stuff while the market is hot going in to new xpac.

The story in the 4.x patch MSQs has been fucking awesome.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The POTD grind from 55-60 hurts me most, so many runs compared to before that point. Although the good news is I checked the achievements and remembered that the Garo event doesn't have SAM/RDM stuff so you don't have to buy those weapons (although you'd technically get the gear for them from similar classes).

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
So, got my MCH to 70 yesterday. That makes 3 so far. BLM is on the daily roulette block now, and I am getting my BLU and WHM/AST to 50 so I can destroy all the low level junk that has been cluttering up my bags. Just need to get a few more mendacity items and my caster set will be at 360 so my SMN or RDM can finish the last dungeon and unlock expert roulette and let me get MSQ finished up.

Next two months I will be pushing to get every last bit of XP I can squeeze out of road to 60. DPS classes first, since tanks and healers can pretty much get groups whenever the fuck they want to. If I have enough down time between queues I may start getting my DOL on. Sell stuff while the market is hot going in to new xpac.

The story in the 4.x patch MSQs has been fucking awesome.
I really think 4.3 did very well at tying up certain loose ends and beginning the kickoff for 5.0, myself. If you haven't gotten to that point yet (hint: storyline 8 man trial and the cutscenes right after it) then I'm going to leave it at that.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I really think 4.3 did very well at tying up certain loose ends and beginning the kickoff for 5.0, myself. If you haven't gotten to that point yet (hint: storyline 8 man trial and the cutscenes right after it) then I'm going to leave it at that.
Oh, I'm at the end of 4.5 now. Just working on ilevel to get into the last dungeon.

The side quests have taught me a very important lesson. Tataru is an evil little bitch. I'm guessing she is our missing Ascian at this point. "Warrior of Light, I want to huuuuuug you!" *KABOOM*

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Entered Eureka, died to a level 1 mob in an battle that rivalled some of the MSQ bosses. Rezzed up, tried again this time with damage aspected and squeeked in the win in an epic, down to the wire fight.

What. The. Shit.

Am I missing something here? or is this a full group for a single mob only zone?

• 1Worf

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Entered Eureka, died to a level 1 mob in an battle that rivalled some of the MSQ bosses. Rezzed up, tried again this time with damage aspected and squeeked in the win in an epic, down to the wire fight.

What. The. Shit.

Am I missing something here? or is this a full group for a single mob only zone?
Eureka is not meant to be soloed, it is intended for a group although you can trio and duo selectively, preferably with one as a healer. You won't lose exp up til level 5 but past that point you will want to get a rezz to avoid EQ style loss.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is there any reason to play on a specific job in Eureka?
Well the fact the jobs don't play the same? Your eureka elemental level is the same regardless, but you're gonna be soloing a lot easier on a RDM than on a MNK for example, and if you play heal or tank you can do these when grouping up and so on.

Cybsled

What. The. Shit.

Eureka is basically EQ1/FFXI bottled into a entire zone. Can't solo (efficiently anyways), non-instanced dungeon inside, etc.

I tried a couple mobs, took forever, realized I got sick of this shit back in the late 90s/early 2000s, and noped the fuck out of that zone.

• 1Salty

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You can solo, but it requires some preparation.

First you need to change your magia board. For soloing, you'll want at least one defensive, sometimes 2(later when you have more orbs), so you don't die to shit too quick that's your level. Rest in attack. So say you're fighting a water mob, you want 1water 2lightning to begin with and eventually like 2 water 3 lightning(sometimes 1/4 depending on the mob).

Then you want to buy potions from the shop in town, they only work in Eureka and they're basically necessary if you want to do any soloing on a non healing/tank class(and even on these they're good since they remove the need to waste ressources on healing). Put them on a hotkey, and use them constantly, just buy 300 or whatever.

Finally, don't fight anything higher level than you. +1 is doable with cooldown and some smart play AND if the mob doesn't have any skill that makes it impossible, but +2 is basically impossible outright in many cases, until Pyros and logos actions.

Even doing this, soloing is slow as fuck, mobs have a shit ton of hp and are more balanced for grouping. It's fine to solo a bit at first to get the first few levels, but you should be looking for a partner to level with asap, someone who needs to do the challenge log and isn't too far from your level. You suffer penalties when level disparity is too big(like 8+), both with party and against enemies. Also go to FATEs and join a party to get credit, you will also suffer penalties on these but not as big and you'll lvl quickly.

Eureka is some sort of callback to FFXI, and as such it's not really meant to be played like a modern mmo. There's a substantial xp penalty on death(so don't release, shout for rez), it's preferable to group, every mobs aggros differently based on sound or sight and quests in there don't tell you where to go.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Fire up another look at Eureka, stood around, got invited to a group at level 1. Killed some shit, found some shit, killed more shit.. finished challenge log and I'm level 13.

I'm hooked.

• 1Solidarity

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Once you get high enough use the aether ports attune to them. Makes life MUCH easier. Stay with the train at all times. Safety in numbers especially if you're not max level or dont have a mount. Then when you're max level in each zone ask someone with a 2 seater mount in shout or party to help you with mount quest. In this game people are more willing to help you unlike WoW. The quest item for mounts are usually in the worst possible spot especially in Pagos.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Fire up another look at Eureka, stood around, got invited to a group at level 1. Killed some shit, found some shit, killed more shit.. finished challenge log and I'm level 13.

I'm hooked.

You did it right. You can chill with the NM train after you've finished your weekly challenge log...but really you should just chill with the NM train and finish whatever you're still missing from the challenge log during the weekend.

Is there any reason to play on a specific job in Eureka?

Survivability if anything tbh. Play your best equipped class and find a high-dps group. Group damage contribution affects the exp/crystals your group gets and the difference between getting golds versus silvers during NM fights is considerable.

Also make a /magiaattack and a /magiadef macro (exact language might be different) to quickly switch your magia board alignment for the current target. Generally don't wanna spam it, but once the NM train settles in you'll be pulling in the same mobs until the boss spawns.

Last edited:

Fennin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Survivability if anything tbh. Play your best equipped class and find a high-dps group. Group damage contribution affects the exp/crystals your group gets and the difference between getting golds versus silvers during NM fights is considerable.

Just to expand on this, enmity is the number one contribution factor in a fate, followed by objectives tagged (mobbs or hand ins), >=6 for a guaranteed gold. Damage and healing both contribute to enmity. Tanks can generate gold just by spamming enmity combos alone, usually one tank can guarantee gold for an entire party regardless of other factors.

• 1Like