Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Any decent summaries of the full expansion details and the job changes available? I haven't been following/playing since shortly after it was announced.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Thanks.

I'm seeing in this and elsewhere that healers are being forced into a more healing oriented role? How bad is this looking to be, because dps-healers was one of the main reasons I enjoy the game.
I heard Yoshi P is wanting everyone to play more like JPN players. Get away from the mindset of dps is everything and more into class roles. Healers worry about healing, tanks concentrate on tanking ect. NA players worry about the meta too much and leave out certain jobs. Yoshi P wants every job to be viable, in other words bring the player not the class.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I would assume that the vast majority of people would only ever have one character in FFXIV since they can play all classes/jobs on one character. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I assumed.

Sadly, i've learned some folk have more than one char for their faggy RP reasons too.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
in other words bring the player not the class.

Chasing this idea was one of the main reasons for the decline of WoW.

Anyway, I'm not looking to play again for a while so I'll check in then to see how the healing situation is, because weaving healing and dps together was incredible amounts of fun and would be the primary reason to want to play again.

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Does anyone remember if stocking up on some gathering collectables from end of HW still gave decent red scrip return at start of Stormblood? I know they nuke the exp down to 10k per turn in immediately, but wondering if having capped yellow scrip with some Palladium Ore and Torreya logs to turn in wouldn't be the worst idea to get a head start on the gathering legendary tomes
Last expansion it was pretty bad exp. The expansion before you didn't get any exp for the first couple of weeks iirc.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, some people on reddit are making these EXP stacking guides involving maxing out the hunt logs for the week with all but 1 kill so you can then go around killing the one mob to complete it at launch for an exp boost....

...but i'm telling you now, THOSE are the people that end up stuck behind Raubahn EX because they wasted precious launch time doing old content for a minimal exp boost. Trust me, just go play the expansion when it launches and the exp will flow as they planned it to; the added 25% of a level or some shit you may actually get isn't gonna get you a "boost" in any sense of the word cause you'll be behind on content.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, some people on reddit are making these EXP stacking guides involving maxing out the hunt logs for the week with all but 1 kill so you can then go around killing the one mob to complete it at launch for an exp boost....

...but i'm telling you now, THOSE are the people that end up stuck behind Raubahn EX because they wasted precious launch time doing old content for a minimal exp boost. Trust me, just go play the expansion when it launches and the exp will flow as they planned it to; the added 25% of a level or some shit you may actually get isn't gonna get you a "boost" in any sense of the word cause you'll be behind on content.
This shit's for DNC/GNB, where you start at shit level and need to get to HoH level asap. Also the MSQ is always missing xp, so having side shit to do while you're queuing for your daily roulette's fine.

Capping genesis is fine, but if the xpac follows previous, you’ll get about a 1:4 return on converting them to poetics and all the SB tome gear will convert to poetics.

If there is stuff you need that costs genesis, you’re better off just buying that now with genesis tokens since gear price reductions tends to be less than 1/4th the original tome cost, so you end up losing value converting genesis.

Then again, poetics are plentiful if you run roulettes. Can get a full 400 gear character easily since augments will probably be 100 poetics if they stick to their prior pattern.
It's 2:1 for expansion poetic conversion, 4:1 is in expansion conversion(like creation to mendacity).

• 1Like

Kay

Golden Squire
Chasing this idea was one of the main reasons for the decline of WoW.

Anyway, I'm not looking to play again for a while so I'll check in then to see how the healing situation is, because weaving healing and dps together was incredible amounts of fun and would be the primary reason to want to play again.
I will eat my hat if they actually have enough incoming damage to require constant healing in most (really any) content. The only thing they're accomplishing is making the DPS part more dull. Reining in how infuriated I am about changes, but will level a healer anyway. Maybe it won't suck. Maybe Pantheon will release before 2023, too, but there's always a slim chance for one of them. More likely for healing to be at least tolerably interesting. Ugh.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Last expansion it was pretty bad exp. The expansion before you didn't get any exp for the first couple of weeks iirc.

Not worried about the exp, that's why I said I knew they dropped it. Just curious if they nerf the amount of scrips you get for if you'll still get 30-39 yellow scrips per turn in for them.

Cybsled

Well, yellow becomes the new red and red gets deleted. Capping yellow is probably a good tactic, although I’m curious to see how the materia 6 market changes. Right now, price wise, they have been stable on the market the past month or so. 6 will be the new 5s, which means increased demand for pentamelds. That could inflate prices, so I am debating on whether to hoard them or cash out now on the off chance they become easier to get next xpac

5s and 6s used to have insane prices before they put them on scrip vendors. I remember selling a single VI control materia for close to a million early in SB.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Not worried about the exp, that's why I said I knew they dropped it. Just curious if they nerf the amount of scrips you get for if you'll still get 30-39 yellow scrips per turn in for them.
Pretty sure you get garbage scrips as soon as the patch turns in too, because they add new gathering collectibles that are 70 in the new zones(like they did in SB), and those give good scrips, while the old HW stuff gives like 10red scrips per turn in only. Mind you it's still 10 if you stack a bunch that'd be something I guess, but it's not really a terribly compelling amount, especially when you consider you'll be getting 30-50 for a single lvl 75 item, and you're still probably going to get 300x12 for customs every week, and then like a bunch everyday from squadron.

Red scrips(or yellow scrips in the next expansion) have very little value generally speaking, you just need a bunch at first to buy your books, but once you have them they kinda stop being useful(well I guess you also want a bunch for new fishing baits), so putting a large effort into them seems pointless. Now if you have nothing else to do you could do that, myself I can't be bothered grinding collectibles when I know I'll have to do it again in 2-3weeks, I hate that shit, it's just boring, so the less I do the better.

Well, yellow becomes the new red and red gets deleted. Capping yellow is probably a good tactic, although I’m curious to see how the materia 6 market changes. Right now, price wise, they have been stable on the market the past month or so. 6 will be the new 5s, which means increased demand for pentamelds. That could inflate prices, so I am debating on whether to hoard them or cash out now on the off chance they become easier to get next xpac

5s and 6s used to have insane prices before they put them on scrip vendors. I remember selling a single VI control materia for close to a million early in SB.
They'll become easier inherently from being purchasable with yellow scrips(the new red), and I assume they'll take a hit in cost too at that point(down to 200 or so). And I don't think the max rank-1 materias were particularily crazy at SB launch, VIs were great because they were new but Vs were kinda whatever, especially since overmelding with Vs meant a lot lower chance to meld so you needed a lot more, and the stat gain was negligible(part of that was due to crafting becoming so much easier mind you). I do expect VII crafting materias to be expensive for sure but VIs? Meh. I could see them going up a bit in value at first and then crashing back down, but only the most extreme crafters will use VIs for overmelding anyway, and I assume these already bought their own stocks with all the money they have. But eh maybe I'll be wrong. I don't plan on overmelding my first set of gear much anyway so I haven't cared too much about materias.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks.

I'm seeing in this and elsewhere that healers are being forced into a more healing oriented role? How bad is this looking to be, because dps-healers was one of the main reasons I enjoy the game.

It may be what Square is intending, but supposedly most of the NA players on Reddit that tried Titania stated that she's really no more healing intensive than any other piece of content the devs have released thus far, just Square is continuing their pattern of raising the skill floor and forcing casual players to acclimate more to simultaneous mechanics rather than only one at once. Granted, this is a leveling duty, so the higher-pressure healing content may come later.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Merrith

Red scrips(or yellow scrips in the next expansion) have very little value generally speaking, you just need a bunch at first to buy your books, but once you have them they kinda stop being useful

And this is pretty much the only reason I was asking the question, whether it was worth it to have a nice little burst at the start. Also for the record, stuff like Adamantite Ore, Aurum Regis Ore, and Cuprite still give 26 or 27 red scrips at top collectability. Hence my thought that stuff like Torreya logs/Palladium Ore might give more than 10 yellow at 80. Stock up a little (it is boring, but it's also a joke to just be watching a stream and hitting the 4am/pm and 6am/pm nodes back to back a few times and have a decent supply of either that could be turned in. Obviously it's not a great amount unless you went crazy, but it's more than 10 per, too. Just a little head start on the books if I cap yellow scrips and have a few more things to turn in immediately.

Cybsled

They'll become easier inherently from being purchasable with yellow scrips(the new red), and I assume they'll take a hit in cost too at that point(down to 200 or so). And I don't think the max rank-1 materias were particularily crazy at SB launch, VIs were great because they were new but Vs were kinda whatever, especially since overmelding with Vs meant a lot lower chance to meld so you needed a lot more, and the stat gain was negligible(part of that was due to crafting becoming so much easier mind you). I do expect VII crafting materias to be expensive for sure but VIs? Meh. I could see them going up a bit in value at first and then crashing back down, but only the most extreme crafters will use VIs for overmelding anyway, and I assume these already bought their own stocks with all the money they have. But eh maybe I'll be wrong. I don't plan on overmelding my first set of gear much anyway so I haven't cared too much about materias.

Crafter Vs were expensive in SB as well. I recall being able to get between 100-200k per easily on them. Making them available for red scrips drastically slashed the prices, because prior to then you were more or less limited to drops (mostly from map runs) or getting lucky with the 5->1 materia roulette. They're down to around 10k per on my server now (6s are holding around 70-80k).

Merrith

Crafter Vs were expensive in SB as well. I recall being able to get between 100-200k per easily on them. Making them available for red scrips drastically slashed the prices, because prior to then you were more or less limited to drops (mostly from map runs) or getting lucky with the 5->1 materia roulette. They're down to around 10k per on my server now (6s are holding around 70-80k).

Pryos touched on that a bit, that despite becoming easier to get, overmelding V's reduced chances by such an amount that you needed a good bit more (although frankly once 200 red scrips apiece easy enough to get a ton if you put a little work in). But then again, people made money on combat VI's for the longest time despite hunts handing out cracked clusters like candy (those of us with 1k+) and being able to just buy them for 400 centuro apiece, as well. Toss in Eureka lockboxes as well and basically an unlimited supply for the entire expansion.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
And this is pretty much the only reason I was asking the question, whether it was worth it to have a nice little burst at the start. Also for the record, stuff like Adamantite Ore, Aurum Regis Ore, and Cuprite still give 26 or 27 red scrips at top collectability. Hence my thought that stuff like Torreya logs/Palladium Ore might give more than 10 yellow at 80. Stock up a little (it is boring, but it's also a joke to just be watching a stream and hitting the 4am/pm and 6am/pm nodes back to back a few times and have a decent supply of either that could be turned in. Obviously it's not a great amount unless you went crazy, but it's more than 10 per, too. Just a little head start on the books if I cap yellow scrips and have a few more things to turn in immediately.
Ah yes the original 4.0 stuff might be worth some scrips you're right. Worth doing if you want to get a leg up on that I guess, I kinda don't care much about gathering personally, I level it just because and for retainer ventures, but I rarely gather my own stuff, I just buy shit even if horribly overpriced, and resell shit after crafting it also horribly overpriced.

Hell I have 0 drive to make money this expansion, I just want to craft enough to make the money I spend leveling back and that'll be about it. I have 200m and there's nothing I even want to buy anyway. Maybe if they announced bigger appartments I'd be into it but for now the only things I end up spending money on are random glamours, and that generally stays pretty "cheap" comparatively to some other rare stuff like mounts.

Merrith

Ah yes the original 4.0 stuff might be worth some scrips you're right. Worth doing if you want to get a leg up on that I guess, I kinda don't care much about gathering personally, I level it just because and for retainer ventures, but I rarely gather my own stuff, I just buy shit even if horribly overpriced, and resell shit after crafting it also horribly overpriced.

Hell I have 0 drive to make money this expansion, I just want to craft enough to make the money I spend leveling back and that'll be about it. I have 200m and there's nothing I even want to buy anyway. Maybe if they announced bigger appartments I'd be into it but for now the only things I end up spending money on are random glamours, and that generally stays pretty "cheap" comparatively to some other rare stuff like mounts.

Yeah 200m you're basically set. I usually end up making whatever the top set is so that's the only time I really gather my own stuff, use retainers for majority of the mats I use since I have like 3500 ventures right now, and that's after burning through a couple thousand to level a few retainers before the expansion. Just have so much overflow from hunt seals.