Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Problem of the new FATE system is it jumps from a reasonable 6 FATEs to get to rank2 to a crazy 60 FATEs to get to rank 3. 60 is a shit ton, and it's per zone. Now if it was the good ole days of spamming fates it might not be so bad but you really have to go out of your way to level like that.

On the flipside, it's not completely garbage xp to do so, especially if you have a few people but not too many doing them(so scaling isn't ass). I might keep some classes specifically to do fates with, but I think I won't start until the relic is here and we know if it's Eureka 2 or if it actually involves the old shit(cause obviously if there's an atma step or some shit, you don't want to have grinded your FATE ranks before and still have to grind them again).

I'm also not entirely sure what are the rewards for rank 3, I think cosmetics stuff? Rank 2 is the riding map(very useful in some zones for questing so I usually unlocked it in every zone right away) and I think maybe it adds HQ version of the materials, but those are basically just a way to dump your stones things while you grind for rank 3, since you get a measly amount of mats and you'd get a lot more just farming the mobs directly(it's dropped mats not gathered or rare stuff).

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oh jesus, 60 for Rank 3?! I hadn't started grinding them out yet so I had no idea, that's insane hahahaha. Have they mentioned any plans of a ShB version of PotD/HoH or I wonder if they are expecting people to use the Shared FATE/Trust system for leveling other jobs this time around?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Dunno about anyone else but I thought the 5.0 MSQ was fantastic, especially at the end parts.

The parts that had to do with character development and character relationships were fantastic. The parts that had to do with the greater plot were par for the course for a JRPG (not good). But it seems like the writers have definitely figured out that focusing on characters is the way to go.

Problem of the new FATE system is it jumps from a reasonable 6 FATEs to get to rank2 to a crazy 60 FATEs to get to rank 3. 60 is a shit ton, and it's per zone. Now if it was the good ole days of spamming fates it might not be so bad but you really have to go out of your way to level like that.

On the flipside, it's not completely garbage xp to do so, especially if you have a few people but not too many doing them(so scaling isn't ass). I might keep some classes specifically to do fates with, but I think I won't start until the relic is here and we know if it's Eureka 2 or if it actually involves the old shit(cause obviously if there's an atma step or some shit, you don't want to have grinded your FATE ranks before and still have to grind them again).

I'm also not entirely sure what are the rewards for rank 3, I think cosmetics stuff? Rank 2 is the riding map(very useful in some zones for questing so I usually unlocked it in every zone right away) and I think maybe it adds HQ version of the materials, but those are basically just a way to dump your stones things while you grind for rank 3, since you get a measly amount of mats and you'd get a lot more just farming the mobs directly(it's dropped mats not gathered or rare stuff).

Rewards for Rank 3 include bardings and orchestrion sheets, maybe some other things but I haven't personally unlocked any of them yet. Not sure what the Gemstone Merchants in the two cities sell, I haven't unlocked them yet either but I probably will as I level my DRK because I'll be doing mostly FATEs.

Not sure if any one here played RIFT, but the bi-colored gemstones look so similar to Planarite that I actually laughed out loud when I first saw them.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The parts that had to do with the greater plot were par for the course for a JRPG (not good).

I'm going to disagree here, I thought the "big" MSQ parts with revelations and the larger themes were fantastic. While some of the way you get there is a little out there towards the end, what you actually learn and how it is presented completely worked for me to the point where I'm not sure if they're going to be able to top this expansion's story as far as pulling the curtain back as much as they have on the main plot, and the reasoning behind it. I do agree that the character relationship building was really good in many ways...honestly about the only two I thought were blah were the twins. Not that I dislike them, I just find everyone else much more interesting.

Another reason I liked the greater plot so much was that I felt Emet-Selch's voice actor absolutely killed it. It was to the point where I didn't want him to be gone because I can't see how they are going to elevate another Ascian/villain above what he brought in this expansion with all the backstory we got about Ascian history. Clearly from the end cutscenes Elidibus is set to take center stage as the last remaining paragon...but it's the same guy who bitched out on Zenos to give him his body back.

Disclaimer: I've read a lot that people thought Heavensward's story was much better than Stormblood's, and while I'd agree with what you said Kriptini regarding character development I think HW got it more right than SB did, I was happy with SB because we got far more of the "main" plot against the Empire whereas in HW it was mainly about the Dragonsong War, with somewhat jarring interludes back towards finding your friends and the main plot.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Another reason I liked the greater plot so much was that I felt Emet-Selch's voice actor absolutely killed it. It was to the point where I didn't want him to be gone because I can't see how they are going to elevate another Ascian/villain above what he brought in this expansion with all the backstory we got about Ascian history. Clearly from the end cutscenes Elidibus is set to take center stage as the last remaining paragon...but it's the same guy who bitched out on Zenos to give him his body back.

I think we're in agreement and just saying it differently?

I don't care that Zodiark and Hydaelyn were both created by the original people, I don't really care about the Source fracturing or anything like that, it's all just JRPG bullshit to me. But what did sell me is exactly what you said: Emet's voice acting. Even though I thought all of that plot stuff was bullshit, the emotion he has when he talks about it makes me care about it because of how it affects him specifically. I guess my TL;DR is "I don't care about the details of the plot, but I love how the characters respond to it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hit 80 and opened up the expert dungeon near the Dossal Gate. Ported to the last zone and there is no plus quest. Where do you unlock the second dungeon?

Malkav

French Madman
Hit 80 and opened up the expert dungeon near the Dossal Gate. Ported to the last zone and there is no plus quest. Where do you unlock the second dungeon?

Eulmore, south eastern derelict aetheryte.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
What time does is the release date today? Trying to register my game but I got this message at the SE store.

AwesomeScreenshot-Square-Enix-Store-2019-07-02-10-07-95.png

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah, they are fucking up with the store.
Don't worry, you always get a grace period to enter your key, they won't cut early access.

On another note, I find the new experts pretty cool. Amaurot was...impressive to say the least.

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, they are fucking up with the store.
Don't worry, you always get a grace period to enter your key, they won't cut early access.

On another note, I find the new experts pretty cool. Amaurot was...impressive to say the least.
I don't know how they could possibly top Amaurot as a dungeon, short of us getting something like the Lunar Subterrane hitting all the FFIV nostalgia, and even then I'm not sure. Amaurot was fantastic.

• 1Solidarity

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
What time does is the release date today? Trying to register my game but I got this message at the SE store.

Have the same message. In game grace period is until Friday though, so doubt there will be any issues.

I just found a new Hildibrand questline at level 60 and he pulled Vivi out of the snow....

No idea what is coming next in the quest line, but main quest and the people who are hostage in a vault will have to wait!

Last time bitching about this, but losing the tank pet as a summoner sucks. Even afking now is a hassle as the pet used to take aggro and solo trash mobs before. No more pet class. Bad design decision is bad.

Malkav

French Madman
I don't know how they could possibly top Amaurot as a dungeon, short of us getting something like the Lunar Subterrane hitting all the FFIV nostalgia, and even then I'm not sure. Amaurot was fantastic.

What's more : that's fucking how you do storytelling in a dungeon. What you learn through it, woah.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Ok, I grinded my ass off the last few weeks before expansion came out so my gatherers/crafters would be 70 so I could hopefully make some money when the expansion came out. I spent most of my early access gathering and selling stuff to make money, I went from 8M to 20M since early access started...

And all this grind paid off, today a medium house became available in Lavender Beds, so I relocated my small Shirogane House there. So now I have a Asian themed house in Lavender Beds. :)

I'm happy, and extremely poor. :)

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Oh well, I hit 80 on my miner, managed to get enough White Scrips for tunics, pants and boots. Brand new mining look. :)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
My expansion code was ready on the SE store about 20 minutes ago, for those who bought it there.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Holy fuck, the level 79 dungeon in this game is probably the most insanely awesome concept for a dungeon in a MMO ever.

• 2Like

dvoraen

Lord Nagafen Raider
Holy fuck, the level 79 dungeon in this game is probably the most insanely awesome concept for a dungeon in a MMO ever.
Please reply when you get to the end of the MSQ with your thoughts, because Kriptini Kriptini and I do not exaggerate on it getting better.

• 2Like