Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
After yesterday I am 100% convinced that the queues are made up. 7pm eastern on a Saturday I got DCd from a crash, log in queue 15 people. Wake up Sunday morning at 6am. Log in queue 9 people. There is no way that the congestion at these times were the same.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Made the mistake of using the server visit feature to tag a friend into the linkshell and got stuck with an hour long queue to get back to my home server.

Expansion is fucking sick btw I love it.

I got a friend who is single playering it doing all the dungeons with the trust system.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
lvl 77 on Dancer so far, the class is a blast. I'm leveling with a 3 person static for dungeons and they are healer tank and i'm a dancer, 9 times out of 10 we get a fourth dancer in our group and I'll fucking smash them in DPS. Some of them lose to our white mage.

I don't think many know ( and I didn't know until recently) that casting Standard Finish on cool down is not a DPS loss but a huge DPS gain. The tool tip is wonky and doesn't show the potency until you proc it but it's a 1000 potency AE with no fall off and will out damage anything you could cast in the 3 GCD dance window. I think a lot of people are treating it like a ninjutsu combo and only using it during AE pulls or when they need to refresh the +5% damage bonus but it's a critical tool in our rotation.

Also I look like Dances with Wolves.
ffxiv_06302019_223849_450.png
ffxiv_06302019_223854_583.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I am so tempted to start playing this. I tried 8.2 in WoW and it just felt bland. Someone tell me I'd be making a mistake by starting from scratch on here at the moment?
I started from scratch last month after playing EverQuest for 17+ years, and I can tell you that I wish I had switched to FFXIV many, many years ago. This game is fucking awesome. Seriously. The UI takes a lot of tweaking to get it right, but the game is just a shit ton better than anything else on the market right now.

From what I have seen so far, FFXIV is super solo friendly (at least for me up to level 36 so far) yet has amazingly well designed group content in the dungeons (I haven't tried raiding yet) and everything seems so accessible YET rewarding. I find it interesting that WoW took the same "super accessible" idea and made a game that feels 100% shallow. Why is it that FFXIV can make it feel as rewarding doing everything and WoW makes the same sort of achievements feel completely shallow and not worth the time you put in to accomplishing them?

There is a metric butt ton of shit to do in FFXIV, and it's fun and rewarding to accomplish. I can't say the same thing about WoW and EverQuest; the two games I played the most in the past 17 years.

Also, the over arching story with cut scenes is something I really like about FFXIV. There was always an over arching story to WoW and EverQuest obviously, but I never truly kept up with it. It was just the flavor text behind some of the quests. It was there, but I didn't necessarily read most of it. In FFXIV, the story is front and center, and I actually have a fucking clue why I am doing what I am doing in the content.

Plus... the dungeons. There are "HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT" moments in dungeons. It's not just run from mob to mob along the treadmill to the end boss. I mean, yes you do that, but there are things that happen graphically (animations and such) that happen during the fights that you would normally only expect to see in raid content. I have literally exlcaimed shit like "holy fucking hell did that just happen" while playing a dungeon for the first time in FFXIV. It's shit that you would normally only see in single player games.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
So weird. Bought the non steam versions of the expansions, but when I launch it it opens steam. Even counts towards hours played I noticed in Steam as well. Not that I mind, but don't understand it.

That said. I do not know how to play anymore. First fight (level 60 story quest) and I die. Do earth pets no longer hold aggro? I seem to recall they did that fairly well. Having trouble remembering the story too. It's been 736 days since I played last according to a moogle mail which said "thanks for coming back" which I hadn't opened because last time I didn't play at all. Subbed, logged in and out.

Just need to get back into it I guess and learn as I go. Forgot how good the game looked.

Also, should I do all quests with a +? As I saw on a guide now on youtube, they're all quests which give my character something? There are so many of them everywhere.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
So weird. Bought the non steam versions of the expansions, but when I launch it it opens steam. Even counts towards hours played I noticed in Steam as well. Not that I mind, but don't understand it.

That said. I do not know how to play anymore. First fight (level 60 story quest) and I die. Do earth pets no longer hold aggro? I seem to recall they did that fairly well. Having trouble remembering the story too. It's been 736 days since I played last according to a moogle mail which said "thanks for coming back" which I hadn't opened because last time I didn't play at all. Subbed, logged in and out.

Just need to get back into it I guess and learn as I go. Forgot how good the game looked.

Also, should I do all quests with a +? As I saw on a guide now on youtube, they're all quests which give my character something? There are so many of them everywhere.

Summoners pets don't tank or take damage anymore.

They are just summons that do specific things when you use their ability.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

If it has a plus it unlocks something. Could be something you don't need right now like Stormblood beast tribes or it could be abilities for your character. I would look up anything under 70 as they might just be a waste if time to do right now.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Summoners pets don't tank or take damage anymore.

They are just summons that do specific things when you use their ability.

What???? Why? They made them visual dots? What in the fuck for?

That's why I loved that class. It was the closest I had gotten to my mage in EQ.

When I played last I remember even quickly unsummoning my firepet to swftcast earth to make it tank the boss in a dungeon when tank died. It was mechanically fun to play. Annoying sometimes when they died instantly to AE for bosses, but still. Solo play with them were awesome.

Actually upset.

Do summoners just kite now then? Dot and run around like a madman like a EQ Necro while the pet just makes flashy effects?

tenor.gif

khorum

Murder Apologist
After yesterday I am 100% convinced that the queues are made up. 7pm eastern on a Saturday I got DCd from a crash, log in queue 15 people. Wake up Sunday morning at 6am. Log in queue 9 people. There is no way that the congestion at these times were the same.

well that 2,500+ queue STAYED at 2,500+ long enough for us to finish the last two episodes of Dark so yeah.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
well that 2,500+ queue STAYED at 2,500+ long enough for us to finish the last two episodes of Dark so yeah.
Exodus must be a very low pop server because the largest queue I experienced was 149 on Sunday evening. Every other time I logged in all weekend was like 15 in queue at most.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Ya, this xpac they basically got rid of tangible pets for whatever reason.

It tried looking for a gif for that statement... But ... I am at loss for words for an amazingly stupid choice nearly equalling the cancellation of Firelfly which is nigh impossible to beat.

tenor.gif

My in game name is even Droigan Kibartik. Kibartik being the most common random mage pet name I got in EQ. REEEEEEEEEE

Junun

Silver Knight of the Realm

Losing titan as a tank pet def sucks soloing. I just started SB and the mobs seem to be much more difficult then in HW. I might actually see how grinding the MSQ goes as SCH instead.

misery

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They dumbed down a lot of stuff this expansion. I'm enjoying it though for at least a story and content completion playthrough. I haven't gotten far in the expansion story, but they've done a really good job as far as I'm concerned. The first two zones have seemed uninspired to me other than the city of Eulmore, but Il Mheg is pretty interesting so far. The one I'm really looking forward to is Rak'tika. Taking it slow has been really nice. Money well spent, though I did enjoy HW quite a bit more.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
It tried looking for a gif for that statement... But ... I am at loss for words for an amazingly stupid choice nearly equalling the cancellation of Firelfly which is nigh impossible to beat.

tenor.gif

My in game name is even Droigan Kibartik. Kibartik being the most common random mage pet name I got in EQ. REEEEEEEEEE

Yeah but you can summon Phoenix AND bahumet now.