Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I liked his comment about the moon facing at the end. Stuff like that - the lack of definitive clarification on game mechanics - ironically endeared me to FFXI. In a genre that has been dominated by min/maxers it's refreshing to have some unknowns out there.
I always thoughtpopulartheories that players come up with on their own - should make it to the sequel of any big MMO. I never played 11, but even I heard that far fetched theory. Big time games like FF11, EQ, UO etc. had a lot of wonder and endearment to them. Probably had more so to do with the table top generation making the transition over into the MMO space. Lots of imagination and of course... age range. If they really did attach the moon to crafting certain items like that, even though its a cock block it would still be pretty cool in my opinion. Wish more companies would do it.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any beta leaks recently? I'm highly interested to see how this turned out. Can't find any sites with leaks or even impressions.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Do we not have some people on the inside to give us some info? Surely we have some alpha connections or have they closed Alpha in preparation for beta? Beta invites should be going out in the next week or so so we can get the client downloaded. I spent some time this weekend reading up on the game and I think it looks relatively promising. Any advantage to playing XI in the meantime or they very different games?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
That blog post is frighteningly unprofessional. What the fuck are they thinking.
It's extremely odd... maybe I don't get it or it is some asian humor that I have missed. I agree, unprofessional and just odd. I have no idea what they were doing with beta around the corner. How about some gameplay footage or a walk-through? This was just a dumb post.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
While it may not mean much to some or even to a game, I have always enjoyed in-game music. I know I have fond memories tied to EQ's music. Today FFXIV released a new video filled with in-game music in the upcoming beta.

With that being said and shared.... this doesn't give us one bit of information for beta
mad.png

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
That really is some nice music. Few MMO's get the music right IMO, and I usually turn it right off. Vanguard and EQ were great scores..

Deisun_sl

shitlord
I used to idle at the West Freeport gate JUST to hear the music and admire my character in all his glory (whilst doing other things like chatting with guild members and /ooc). The music made me feel so badass. Especially in front of all the newbies running around (which probably weren't newbies but I pretended they were). Ah the good ole days.
smile.png

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
FFXI really nailed music as well. I can still play most of the songs in my head and I normally don't pay attention to game music. EQ did the same. Only music I recall in wow for example is Durotar and Orgrimmar. Stormwind as well but more because it assaulted you upon entry.

Vasconcellos_sl

shitlord
In EQ, I absolutely loved the vendor/merchant music that started the moment you started browsing for goods. It gave you a short moment of "relaxation" music in the middle of the action.

Vasconcellos_sl

shitlord
I used to idle at the West Freeport gate JUST to hear the music and admire my character in all his glory (whilst doing other things like chatting with guild members and /ooc). The music made me feel so badass. Especially in front of all the newbies running around (which probably weren't newbies but I pretended they were). Ah the good ole days.
smile.png

Many will agree that the well known songs from EQ will stay forever in your mind: Freeport, Kelethin, Merchant. Maybe it was the MIDI music, but in EQ2 it didn't catch me like it did in EQ.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Game looks cool but tbh I'm really sick of hotbars, just tried Vanguard and couldn't get into because of the 'ole industry standard 20 button hotbar.

From the video it looked like alot of "press 1,2,3 and win loots" really hope they slow it down a bit and make it more methodical like FF11.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I agree EQ music was unique because it didn't sound like a Triple A quality commercial score. Most of the time it was too simple yet complex at the same time. I think the "too" professional orchestrated music scores makes you feel they don't belong in a world of fantasy and because you've heard too many of "too" professional music scores they started to sound the same.

My favorite EQ music themes!

1. Kelethin
2. Character Selection
3. Merchant
4. PoSky!

The silly ones
1. Dwarves in CC
2. Velk Labyrthing
3. Thurgadine's Bar

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I agree EQ music was unique because it didn't sound like a Triple A quality commercial score. Most of the time it was too simple yet complex at the same time. I think the "too" professional orchestrated music scores makes you feel they don't belong in a world of fantasy and because you've heard too many of "too" professional music scores they started to sound the same.

My favorite EQ music themes!

1. Kelethin
2. Character Selection
3. Merchant
4. PoSky!

The silly ones
1. Dwarves in CC
2. Velk Labyrthing
3. Thurgadine's Bar
I agree with this. EQ music was very varied, from breezy panflute songs, to classical guitar pieces to the uppety Rivervale song. And let us not forget the "mood" clips: short, repeating fragments that enhanced the mood/environment.

This is easily my favorite fragment:http://treesong.home.xs4all.nl/stonemarker.mp3Rightclick and save, the song will not play directly when you click it (at least for me). It is originally called the Qeynos Temple of Life song, but you can hear this also at the stone marker right after you zone into Qeynos Hills. Lonely and desolate....

Once more, for the fan, most (if not all) of the EQ music in mp3 format:http://treesong.home.xs4all.nl/EQmp3.zip

We probably should be talking about FFIV again........looking forward to the re-release!

EDIT: link to stonemarker soundfragment works now.