Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I have sli 570s and if the game was using only 1 then I'm fine. The engine was smooth on the alpha servers any my framerates were consistently 40-60 at all times even with a lot of people on screen and spell effects.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I bought it when it launched but I didn't pay for 3 months of service so I don't think I'm legacy status.

Nhilist_sl

shitlord
You'll be happy to know that 2.0 runs far better than 1.0 did. My powerful machine struggled with FF14 1.0 at times also, often for no explicable reason.
This is good to hear. Interestingly, my gaming machine was purchased for 1.0 (*cough* I needed a reason to justify the purchase) I just ran the benchmark, mind you I have not upgraded anything on this box:

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Official Benchmark (Exploration)
Tested on:2/22/2013 7:10:11 AM
Score:5189
Average Framerate:42.804
Performance:Very High
-Easily capable of running the game. Should perform exceptionally well, even at higher resolutions.

Screen Size: 1920x1080
Graphics Presets: Maximum
This is a better rating than what I ran in the 1.0 benchmark on the highest setting, over two years ago. I'm thinking that I am going to throw an SSD in and look for a good deal on a later gen card, currently have the GeForce GTX 480(VRAM 3275 MB) Lots of room for improvement and relatively inexpensively.

I'm cautiously optimistic, except for EQ, I have played FFXI for the longest of any MMO, so my fanboi fervor was high, and 1.0 was a huge letdown.

Oberstein

Molten Core Raider
Got my invite this morning as well. I was never a legacy player, but was in the original beta. Looking forward to checking it out since it seems they've made a lot of improvements.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Jealous of you guys! Hope they are still sending them. If anyone gets an extra key I would not say no to it...

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
This thread right here basically wraps up the current MMO market in a nutshell. Like most of you in here, I was burned HARD by FF14 and yet here you are, chomping at the bit to give them more money.

I am not saying that it is wrong mind you as I am looking for something as well since GW2 did not turn out to hold my attention like I had hoped but when will they ever learn from their mistakes when they get rewarded each time?

It is almost like the build up, looking at screens, hearing about leaked info, etc., is more fun and entertaining then the game itself.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We're talking about a company that put out arguably one of the best MMO's with the most loyal fanbase that is still running today. They then fucked up royally, acknowledged they fucked up royally, fired almost all of the staff that made the game, remade the entire game after letting players play for free for months, and took their time making sure shit got done.

It might still suck, but if that isn't a company that deserves me to spend $15 on at least one month of service then I don't know a company that is.

Think about it. If this was Sony the game would disappear off into the atmosphere somewhere. Blizzard would keep the game in the shit state and people would still play it but complain the whole time. Other companies would go bankrupt. SE basically said "Oh fuck.. we're sorry. Let me just REMAKE THIS ENTIRE GAME FOR YOU"

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
We're talking about a company that put out arguably one of the best MMO's with the most loyal fanbase that is still running today. They then fucked up royally, acknowledged they fucked up royally, fired almost all of the staff that made the game, remade the entire game after letting players play for free for months, and took their time making sure shit got done.

It might still suck, but if that isn't a company that deserves me to spend $15 on at least one month of service then I don't know a company that is.

Think about it. If this was Sony the game would disappear off into the atmosphere somewhere. Blizzard would keep the game in the shit state and people would still play it but complain the whole time. Other companies would go bankrupt. SE basically said "Oh fuck.. we're sorry. Let me just REMAKE THIS ENTIRE GAME FOR YOU"
This is how I feel. I really don't know if anyone has ever done this before but I respect their management decision. I've seen a lot of games release in a crappy state, stay in a crappy state, and simply say, we're working on it but nothing happens (at least not for a long time).

It's also Final Fantasy, which to me is a major IP, and they appear to be doing the right thing. Since the appreciate the Final Fantasy IP so well and if this is going to be the steps they are going to take, i'm going to give them a chance.

On a side note, what else do I have to be excited about? From a MMO perspective (I don't want to take anything from LoL) i'm currently playing or bouncing around EQMac, VG, UO:Forever... Each of these games are ancient and there is no sign of anything else in the immediate future.

elidrin_sl

shitlord
This thread right here basically wraps up the current MMO market in a nutshell. Like most of you in here, I was burned HARD by FF14 and yet here you are, chomping at the bit to give them more money.
If you bought the client during 1.0 you don't need to buy it again for 2.0 release and I believe they are giving people 30 days free time (though that may just be people who bought the CE, I'm not 100% sure) so I don't think it's a matter of wanting to give them more money right away. That said, I did go back at the end of 1.0 and play for a while. Despite the UI and controls still being garbage, the game was far better than it was at release. After playing 2.0 a bit my concerns about controls/ui have been largely alleviated and I'm eagerly anticipating beta to see what else has changed.

Naoki Yoshida and his new team have put a lot of work into the game making changes which in my personal opinion warrant a second chance. Everyone knows the first iteration of the game was horrible, but it has come a long way since then and I think people will be surprised. It might not end up being the best MMO ever, but it will definitely be more playable than the original. Not trying to shill here, just think the new team has done a good job so far.

YIMMY_sl

shitlord

Yeah I agree with this. No matter what the fuckup is, if you admit to it, give away free shit and fix the mistake with an awesome game then it deserves a second chance.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

I am not saying that it is wrong mind you as I am looking for something as well since GW2 did not turn out to hold my attention like I had hoped but when will they ever learn from their mistakes when they get rewarded each time?

It is almost like the build up, looking at screens, hearing about leaked info, etc., is more fun and entertaining then the game itself.
Hold the phone 651... Who the fuck said I was going to give them money? I got into the beta to see if it's: a) worthwhile to play, and b) to check and see if it's worthwhile to pay for.