Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Why not? Is that currently the way you level up?
How is it not option to level up in any MMO? I just assume that this is a stupid part of MMO's past, present, or future that I just choose to overlook. You can probably kill a particular race of creatures *cough* froglocks from level 1 to max if you chose to do so as well. That's just one piece of fruit in the basket. Hopefully we'll see more commercial reviews that are not subject to tunnel vision.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Why not? Is that currently the way you level up?
In the beta, sure. The lead designer said that dungeon grinding would probably be the fastest way to level, though collecting bear asses is another way.
That was from last week... I'm sure not a lot has changed, but that wasn't "my friends" experience. The part about being "too high level" for a FATE is sort of misleading... to solo the FATE monster that were prevalent yesterday, you'd be more than double the level of the monster. Of course you won't get rewarded well for it. It's been the same way in most MMOs.
The thing about being too high level for a FATE is also misleading because the current iteration of the game doesn't have level syncing in yet. I imagine once that's in it will be similar to GW2 where you're forced down to a lower level that doesn't trivialize the content.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I assume they didn't get rid of leves, but even those had some "collect bear asses".

If you don't have quests for solo people, what are they going to do, just grind? I don't see how you can get rid of those kind of quests completely.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I assume they didn't get rid of leves, but even those had some "collect bear asses".

If you don't have quests for solo people, what are they going to do, just grind? I don't see how you can get rid of those kind of quests completely.
Leves aren't unlocked until 10. Of the 3 classes, the "hook" to go out and explore past 10 only worked one one of the three (archer).
But yes, most of the play was solo.

Also, I wasn't aware they were doing level syncing. I'm sort of torn on that. I like the idea of it (keeps content available), but on the other hand I like to be able to shitstomp a pile of mobs when looking for gathering nodes to power level professions.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Also, I wasn't aware they were doing level syncing. I'm sort of torn on that. I like the idea of it (keeps content available), but on the other hand I like to be able to shitstomp a pile of mobs when looking for gathering nodes to power level professions.
I'm not sure in this game, but in GW2 you could come back to lower level zones and still roll over any mobs because of the way gear scaled. I would gather up 10-15 undead with my guardian and have them all down in 2 aoe cooldowns

ixian_sl

shitlord
I'm curious to see how it will be handled; poking around a bit it seems like it will only be done for the FATE system. Hopefully they'll also let us optionally sync down to party members similar to FFXI.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Level syncing really bums me out. Why the fuck would you do that to the sense of progression in the game? I would be much more motivated to level if I knew I could actually out-grow whatever was currently beating my ass. That's the whole damn point of having levels in the first place. If i'm never actually getting any relative strength aside from generic gear then what's the point?

ixian_sl

shitlord
Level syncing really bums me out. Why the fuck would you do that to the sense of progression in the game? I would be much more motivated to level if I knew I could actually out-grow whatever was currently beating my ass. That's the whole damn point of having levels in the first place. If i'm never actually getting any relative strength aside from generic gear then what's the point?
Like I said, Ipoked around a bitand it looks like it's only for the FATE system which I'm okay with; it'd be really annoying if a high level person could come and blow up an event mob like that.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Got an invite this morning.. anybody out there on a common server? Tonberry?
Tonberry was full by the end of the day yesterday, so other characters had to be created on other servers (Adamantoise).

There isn't any server queueing either, so you end up having to pick a new world if you want to play.

Lenwen

Silver Squire
There are a lot of quests; more than needed for just 1 class. Or at least that's what it seems like. There are also probably other ways to level other than just questing.

On a side note, did the lag on Tonberry ever clear up? On adamantoise, the heavy lag persisted til around 1am est, when it dropped to only moderate lag. With that much latency I wasn't able to test out combat much, nor could I differentiate between ui lag and latency.

ixian_sl

shitlord
There are a lot of quests; more than needed for just 1 class. Or at least that's what it seems like. There are also probably other ways to level other than just questing.

On a side note, did the lag on Tonberry ever clear up? On adamantoise, the heavy lag persisted til around 1am est, when it dropped to only moderate lag. With that much latency I wasn't able to test out combat much, nor could I differentiate between ui lag and latency.
There was some lag when I played yesterday (~11 PM EST till 2 AM EST), but combat was generally acceptable.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

It didn't clear up at all. Adamantoise lag was bad but not nearly as bad as Tonberry. Every once in a while it would clear up if no one else was around and combat could actually be played cleanly. It's a little slower than what was expected (waiting for GCD for abilities, rather than queueing), but that seems to fit the play style of the game. It was a little baffling to watch people play with what appeared to be no lag while constantly seeing everyone else in the area lag. Lag for conjuror, not bad; lag for archer, even less impactful; lag for a lancer, reroll.

WageSlave

Golden Knight of the Realm
Does anyone know if the pdf they sent out regarding the beta schedule is still accurate? If I remember right it called for 4-6 months of various betas before going live. Is this still the case?

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
FFXI had "level syncing" but it wasn't like GW2, it was closer to EQ2 mentoring. You could form a party and sync down to the lowest level party member, while getting bonus exp.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
FFXI had "level syncing" but it wasn't like GW2, it was closer to EQ2 mentoring. You could form a party and sync down to the lowest level party member, while getting bonus exp.
Expect level syncing to be based on a few specific criteria.

Say your buddy is 20 and you're 50, you can go to a zone appropriate to him and be level 20 and get xp towards 51 vs zero exp if you were alone soloing them. But if you go to that zone unsynced - keep in mind you can group without syncing. You're still 50 and the mobs are still 20.

Second thing they will level sync - Any quests related to their big arching FF storystuff. If you're supposed to fight a dragon at lvl 25 in a pty of 4, if you go enter it with a pty of 4 and you're all 50 you sync down to the level max of that specific encounter, if you're only level 21 you don't get upscaled to 25.

Other than that the world should be static you will be more powerful and you can farm shit below you like a freight train.

In FFXI the big thing about level sync is that if there is an amazing place to grind - and level 55 is the golden level to be - you'd make a pty with people and you'd need at least one person to be 55 so that the whole group could sync down to that ideal level - you'd smash out a level or 2, and the party would have to replace with another person at the best sync level to maximize xp. Who knows if the xp system in this 2.0 14 is similar to 11 or its own animal - but that's how they used sync before. Nothing like GW2 where its global sync based on zone.