Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet, are people enjoying themselves?
I'm having a good time playing this so far. The combat's a bit lacking, but I'm also not even level 20 yet, and I have to imagine that it'll flesh out a bit better as the levels get higher (and as sub-jobs become involved, etc). ARR is a hell of a lot more polished than v1 was.

Fenz

Silver Knight of the Realm
Would appreciate a EU key
smile.png

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
jobs dont include conjurer or gladiator.....but these are in beta? Im confused.

Naj_sl

shitlord
jobs dont include conjurer or gladiator.....but these are in beta? Im confused.
Conjurer is available right from the start, just go to the Conjurer guild in Gridania to get a free wand. Gladiator requires you to get another class to 10 and talk to the Wandering Minstrel in town.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Jobs != classes.

Classes are sort of base level roles; they are more flexible than jobs at the expense of not being as good at specific things like healing or tanking. Jobs, therefore, are better at those specialties, but lack some of the cross-class abilities that classes are capable of achieving.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah it's different than FFXI, not everthing is a job. Jobs are advanced specs but you can't cross class as much. For example, if you're a bard, which is a job that is an advanced Archer class, you can only use skills from Bard(duh), Archer and one more class, which in this case is Conjurer(heals and stuff, makes sense as a bard). You can't use other class skills. On the other hand if you stay an archer, you can use skills from any of the base classes, so you have more flexibility, to an extent. Also to start the quest for the job, you needed 30 in main class and 15 in secondary, but not sure if it's gonna be the same in the new FFXIV. So in this example to become a bard(which is done via doing a quest, similar to FFXI), you needed to be 30archer and 15 conjurer at least. They might change numbers or how it works though, not sure since I believe jobs aren't available until phase3. Finally, leveling as a job would also level the main class of that job(so your archer lvl would go up from lvling as a bard).

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
so if you are a certain job you don't have options as to what other classes to do the multiclass thing with? Aka no white mage/ninja?

Not sure if I like or dislike that, just curious. As long as you can switch jobs (obviously needing to level each individually) it seems okay.

ixian_sl

shitlord
Basically, yeah. For example, White Mage's main class is Conjurer, the subclass is Gladiator, and it also gets access to Pugilist skills. Keep in mind that cross-classing in FFXIV is more flexible than FFXI was; in FFXI you had a main job and subjob and you only had access to the abilities of both. In FFXIV, you are allowed to slot (almost) every ability you've unlocked across all classes based on a points-system, except when you're a job obviously. I think it's an interesting tradeoff and a nice way to keep classes relevant.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Is there ever a time when someone would eschew choosing a job then? Like for example, would anyone ever bother not taking a Lancer --> Dragoon for example?

Also, have they changed the classes all that much? I saw a ton of"Warriors are OP, don't play a Dragoon"threads that were from before the relaunch, and while I gather Warriors do have issues with deagros and the like, does it look like class balance will be completely upset or will there be some sort of parity to release? (assuming one can begin to tell by this point)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Is there ever a time when someone would eschew choosing a job then? Like for example, would anyone ever bother not taking a Lancer --> Dragoon for example?

Also, have they changed the classes all that much? I saw a ton of"Warriors are OP, don't play a Dragoon"threads that were from before the relaunch, and while I gather Warriors do have issues with deagros and the like, does it look like class balance will be completely upset or will there be some sort of parity to release? (assuming one can begin to tell by this point)
On the first question, probably not, however I assume at some point they'll add more jobs for every class, in which case you'll have a choice. There is also the soloing aspect, where for most classes it'd be better to stay unspeced so you can use conjurer heals for yourself to cut on downtimes, which unless you're a bard or a whitemage you don't have access to.

On the 2nd, no one knows since we only have access to a handful of classes and no jobs yet. The classes did change though so it's likely everything will have changed quite a bit. For example they split the debuffs from Thaumaturge to give them to the Arcanist, so you have conjurer supporting, thaumathurge nuking and arcanist debuffing, which give them unique roles. Also Gladiator was merged with Guardian into one class still called Gladiator, or something. Doesn't mean balance will be better or worse. In the original though when I played balance was complete shit, so I wouldn't have super high hopes for everything to be balanced.

Noahx

N00b
What i'd like to know is if terrain continues to be severely irritating as it was previously. Walking up a simple hill was a maze of invisible walls that made a spot 30 yards away take 5 minutes with no visible reason why. I am a fan of movement freedom/exploration and not a huge fan of rails (probably why I can't enjoy console games all that much).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What i'd like to know is if terrain continues to be severely irritating as it was previously. Walking up a simple hill was a maze of invisible walls that made a spot 30 yards away take 5 minutes with no visible reason why. I am a fan of movement freedom/exploration and not a huge fan of rails (probably why I can't enjoy console games all that much).
I've noticed a few invisible walls but mostly I could just drop down shit and what not. You can jump too, I don't remember if you could in the original FFXIV, but you can jump over a lot of fences and what not, so I haven't found it too limiting but I'm not a big explorer either. All the shortcuts I tried when questing however were working properly but one that's like the side of a building that is an invisible walled area so you have to follow the road to enter the building, but fairly minor.